Jtohunt
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jman10101)
Hi all,

I am interested to applying to medicine but I am not definitely sure which uni I would choose out of Oxbridge. I am also probably going to apply to UCL as well.

My A Levels are triple science and maths and I am predicted all As.

I am slightly annoyed as my school doesn't give out A*s in the first report in December. The problem is that the next report isn't out until March but by then I would have already applied to work experience, summer schools etc. so my application isn't as competitive.

I thought of taking Further Maths to make my application decent but my teachers advised me to do 4 instead so I can focus a lot more on the BMAT/UKCAT in the upcoming months.

My internal exams (from which my university predictions are based) are at the end of April so hoping to be predicted 4A*s in them.

My GCSEs are:
99999999988A (A in FSMQ Maths)

Oxford focuses on GCSEs and I know my GCSEs are quite strong, but then again Oxford medicine will probably be receiving a lot of applicants with all 9s. Another negtive of Oxford is that it takes a lot lower number of medical students than Cambridge. These reasons are pushing me towards Cambridge. I guess I will decide after visiting the open days in the summer.
Your stats are strong, however the most important aspect of the application is your BMAT Score and the Interviews.
Try and aim for 6's (and above) and 4A in your BMAT score and if you can do a lot of interview prep.
Doing BMAT prep courses will be invaluable (https://www.themedicportal.com/event...ring-the-bmat/)
and Interview courses (https://www.themedicportal.com/event...rview-courses/)
Also Oxbridge style Interview courses which are traditional face to face style (https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ne-interviews/).
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...ine-interview/

Hope that helps.
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Crow_M)
Really impressive GCSEs, I'm sure that you'll have a good shot at either, if you want to be a bit safer then I'd go for Cambridge as they have more places.

I'm also applying for UCL (and Imperial and KCL)! Nice to see other people here with the same interest ^^

How is the work experience going?
Cambridge may have more places, but they want 2 A*s and 1 A at 'A' Level. Oxford only require 1 A* and 2 A's, just like UCL, Imperial and KCL. And believe me, having just gone through it, A*s at A Level are hard to get. It's a lot of pressure.
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Crow_M)
Really impressive GCSEs, I'm sure that you'll have a good shot at either, if you want to be a bit safer then I'd go for Cambridge as they have more places.

I'm also applying for UCL (and Imperial and KCL)! Nice to see other people here with the same interest ^^

How is the work experience going?
Remember to have a back up option also, you only have 4 choices so make your 4th choice a Med school that requires 3 A's.
Essentially, if you pick 4 Med schools/Uni's all requiring the same entry requirements, 3 of them will essentially be a waste, because if you miss out on you Firm choice you will likely miss out on your Insurance choice. Choose a 5th Option also, like Bio-Med. Just in case.
Good Luck!:thumbsup:
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by Jtohunt)
Essentially, if you pick 4 Med schools/Uni's all requiring the same entry requirements, 3 of them will essentially be a waste, because if you miss out on you Firm choice you will likely miss out on your Insurance choice.
That's an optimistic view! Most people don't get any offers, remember!

Choose a 5th Option also, like Bio-Med. Just in case.
Well, only if you actually want to do it.
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by nexttime)
That's an optimistic view! Most people don't get any offers, remember!

Well, only if you actually want to do it.
People should think optimistically. You are right, many people don't get offers, but I believe in encouraging people rather than fear mongering. Focusing on the negative will only deter people from applying. My point wasn't about candidates getting 4 offers, it was about choosing 4 options smartly, not just picking 4 of the elite level Medical Schools to go to. The elite level all ask for the same entry requirements, you need a back up so to speak in case something goes wrong. The elite level Med schools are so over subscribed that if you miss 1 grade mark, you are unlikely to be taken. A friend of mine applied to UCL (Firm Choice) and KCL (Insurance Choice) last year, he got 4 A's at A Level and neither offered him a place, because he never met the conditions of the offer. 1 of the A levels had to be an A*. The elite med schools can fill their quota quite easily. I was just suggesting/advising like my careers officer at school had advised me. He managed to get into St. Georges though through clearing.

Again, the 5th option was just a way of saying all is not lost if you fail to get the grades, there is another way in so to speak, 3 year Bio-Med then apply as a graduate. The thread is about sharing knowledge and advice, that's all I was doing.
hanlabanane
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi everyone,

I intend to apply to medicine this October. I know Oxford are quite GCSE heavy, which would work in my favour as I got 11 grade 9s at GCSE. However, I just got my predicted grades back from my school and I’m predicted an A in Chemistry (not an A*). I don’t do maths either, I do French and Spanish.

My predicted grades are likely to be A*A*AA - A*A*A*A, with the A being in Chemistry. Does this completely rule me out of Oxford, seeing as my ‘weaker’ subject is the most academic one?

(On a side note, if anyone knows, does having an A prediction in Chemistry put me in a very bad position in other medical schools too? I’m kind of freaking out that I’ve ruined my chances)

Thanks
barror1
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I'm just going to tag Oxford Mum, leave you in her able care and walk away.
I hope this all gets resolved for you!
hanlabanane
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi everyone

I’m thinking of applying though I’ve just received an A prediction in Chemistry which I’m afraid might put me out of the running.

GCSEs : 99999999999
Predicted A levels - not sure yet, likely to be A* A* A* A (chem)
Work experience : 2 weeks in hospital, urology and bariatric surgery
Volunteering: 1 year at elderly care home, 6 months in hospital bringing patients to the cinema
Currently studying for UCAT and gonna take BMAT as well

I know I have good GCSEs but I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder now about my chemistry grade - I’m afraid it will be an easy way to discard my application since the process is very brutal
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by hanlabanane)
Hi everyone

I’m thinking of applying though I’ve just received an A prediction in Chemistry which I’m afraid might put me out of the running.

GCSEs : 99999999999
Predicted A levels - not sure yet, likely to be A* A* A* A (chem)
Work experience : 2 weeks in hospital, urology and bariatric surgery
Volunteering: 1 year at elderly care home, 6 months in hospital bringing patients to the cinema
Currently studying for UCAT and gonna take BMAT as well

I know I have good GCSEs but I have a bit of a chip on my shoulder now about my chemistry grade - I’m afraid it will be an easy way to discard my application since the process is very brutal
Your GCSE's are very strong, getting an A prediction at 'A' Level in Chemistry will not damage or limit your chances. Oxford only require 1 A*, so you can obtain that in Biology and the 2 A's in something else. In fact you do not need the A* to be in any of the sciences you take, although you must take Chemistry and one of Biology, Maths or Physics. A class mate of mine got an offer at Oxford this year (2019 entry) to do medicine. He's did Chemistry, Biology and English.
Also see here https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/me...ments/academic

Also see this medical school comparison tool on the Medic Portal website. It gives a breakdown of all the relevant entry requirements for all the Med Schools in the UK and stats such as how many applicants, how many were succesful, type of Admissions tests and interview styles and course structure etc.
https://www.themedicportal.com/appli...omparisontool/

In any event, the most important part of the application, is your BMAT score and the Interview. Of course your Personal Statement must be Oxbridge style, but I can't over emphasise getting a good BMAT score and having a great Interview, if you are lucky enogh to be invited to one. Aim for at least 6's and above in sections 1 and 2 of the BMAT and a 4 in section 3 (Essay). Don't get me wrong you can be invited for interview with lower scores, but those scores are likely to get you an interview. Going by your stats so far and a good UCAS application (PS and Reference), you should be okay.
I would advise doing BMAT prep courses and Interview prep courses also.
See: https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/oxbr...iew-programme/
https://www.blackstonetutors.co.uk/u...questions.html
https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/mmi-...iew-programme/

Hope this all helps. Good luck!
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I forgot these also: https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/bmat-tuition/
https://www.uniadmissions.co.uk/ukcat-tuition/
https://6med.co.uk/bmat-crash-course/
https://6med.co.uk/ukcat-crash-course/
Oxford Mum
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Hi hanlabanane

Your GCSE grades are brilliant, so well done with that. For your A levels I see Chemistry, French and Spanish. Is the fourth one Biology? If so, OK. Please see below the subjects which subjects Oxford sees as essential, and desirable but not essential, for medicine.

Yes, successful candidates have sometimes read a language A level. I recall reading a blog by a Brasenose medic who studied French at A level. The interviewer was interested in why he had chosen French. Now he is a successful doctor.

My son (a third year Oxford Medic) obtained A*AA. The A* was, I believe, in Biology. If it is any different, I will let you know.

If you can, study very hard at your chemistry and see if you can exceed your teacher's predictions. By the way, my son only got a B in his AS level maths. Oxford don't look at your AS level grades.

http://www.ox.ac.uk/admissions/under...sting/medicine

As you can see, chemistry is essential and ONE other science.

Now stop freaking out!!! Let's see some medical reading from you over the holidays.

Please see a chapter I have written from my new book, Oxford Demystified. It's will give you some ideas about how to enhance your medical application. Enjoy!

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=6019726
(Original post by hanlabanane)
Hi everyone,

I intend to apply to medicine this October. I know Oxford are quite GCSE heavy, which would work in my favour as I got 11 grade 9s at GCSE. However, I just got my predicted grades back from my school and I’m predicted an A in Chemistry (not an A*). I don’t do maths either, I do French and Spanish.

My predicted grades are likely to be A*A*AA - A*A*A*A, with the A being in Chemistry. Does this completely rule me out of Oxford, seeing as my ‘weaker’ subject is the most academic one?

(On a side note, if anyone knows, does having an A prediction in Chemistry put me in a very bad position in other medical schools too? I’m kind of freaking out that I’ve ruined my chances)

Thanks
hanlabanane
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Thank you so much, this is very helpful
apricitea
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
hi, i want to apply to oxford for medicine

gcse's: 999999888

predicted grades: A*A*A in bio, psychology and chem (this is not definite, i am going to sit an exam in September to try and get chem prediction to a* as my school do not give a* predictions until this exam is done). predicted A in AS maths (I'm doing maths as a separate AS course). A* prediction in EPQ.

i read a lot, 20 books this past academic year related to science and medicine alongside bbc inside science podcast, and science weekly magazine and the new scientist. achieved copper in cambridge chemistry challenge, and highly commended in biology olympiad. i really do love to learn even though i'm not the smartest person in exams.

i don't think i stand a realistic chance tbh but yeah probably will give oxford a go.
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by apricitea)

predicted grades: A*A*A in bio, psychology and chem (this is not definite, i am going to sit an exam in September to try and get chem prediction to a* as my school do not give a* predictions until this exam is done). predicted A in AS maths (I'm doing maths as a separate AS course). A* prediction in EPQ.

i read a lot, 20 books this past academic year related to science and medicine alongside bbc inside science podcast, and science weekly magazine and the new scientist. achieved copper in cambridge chemistry challenge, and highly commended in biology olympiad. i really do love to learn even though i'm not the smartest person in exams.

i don't think i stand a realistic chance tbh but yeah probably will give oxford a go.
You sound very enthusiastic. That counts for a lot - keep it up.
Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
So far, so good. Your enthusiasm does you credit, and will help to carry you through the long medical course, whichever uni you end up at!

The reading is very important, and will show admissions tutors that you are curious enough to find out more about medicine.

Not the smartest in exams - my son (now third year, medicine at Oxford) often did not come top in school exams. But he kept going, kept revising and working hard. The one who did keep coming top did not get any medical school places, I don't know why. It doesn't matter what others are doing. Don't compare yourself to them. It's about quality, not quantity when it comes to extra work.

Your attitude to getting in does you credit. You will give Oxford a go. It is not the be all and end all of your life. Such people tend to surprise themselves on offer day! Nobody thinks they have got in after interview either. At the end of the day you want to be a doctor. All medical schools are good and success as a doctor often depends on your attitude, team working skills and emotional intelligence rather than which med school you went to.

apricitea
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
thank you so much!
(Original post by Oxford Mum)
So far, so good. Your enthusiasm does you credit, and will help to carry you through the long medical course, whichever uni you end up at!

The reading is very important, and will show admissions tutors that you are curious enough to find out more about medicine.

Not the smartest in exams - my son (now third year, medicine at Oxford) often did not come top in school exams. But he kept going, kept revising and working hard. The one who did keep coming top did not get any medical school places, I don't know why. It doesn't matter what others are doing. Don't compare yourself to them. It's about quality, not quantity when it comes to extra work.

Your attitude to getting in does you credit. You will give Oxford a go. It is not the be all and end all of your life. Such people tend to surprise themselves on offer day! Nobody thinks they have got in after interview either. At the end of the day you want to be a doctor. All medical schools are good and success as a doctor often depends on your attitude, team working skills and emotional intelligence rather than which med school you went to.
hd187
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
I think Oxford only compare the top 10 or so GCSE results(including core subjects) so those with straight 9s may not have any advantage, have a read of their site. Oxford selection process is very open, 50:50 on GCSE and UKCAT for interview selection. Cambridge's is quite secretive however, they say they look at all parts of the application and that there is some variance between colleges. It is worth doing some BMAT papers before deciding to apply to other BMAT unis. You should look to apply to GCSE heavy unis, the website med compare is a great resource for finding unis depending on your strengths and how they select applicants

(Original post by Jman10101)
Hi all,

I am interested to applying to medicine but I am not definitely sure which uni I would choose out of Oxbridge. I am also probably going to apply to UCL as well.

My A Levels are triple science and maths and I am predicted all As.

I am slightly annoyed as my school doesn't give out A*s in the first report in December. The problem is that the next report isn't out until March but by then I would have already applied to work experience, summer schools etc. so my application isn't as competitive.

I thought of taking Further Maths to make my application decent but my teachers advised me to do 4 instead so I can focus a lot more on the BMAT/UKCAT in the upcoming months.

My internal exams (from which my university predictions are based) are at the end of April so hoping to be predicted 4A*s in them.

My GCSEs are:
99999999988A (A in FSMQ Maths)

Oxford focuses on GCSEs and I know my GCSEs are quite strong, but then again Oxford medicine will probably be receiving a lot of applicants with all 9s. Another negtive of Oxford is that it takes a lot lower number of medical students than Cambridge. These reasons are pushing me towards Cambridge. I guess I will decide after visiting the open days in the summer.
Daniellafreedman
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Which college will you apply for?

Oxford Mum
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
Oxford uses the BMAT, not UCAT
(Original post by hd187)
I think Oxford only compare the top 10 or so GCSE results(including core subjects) so those with straight 9s may not have any advantage, have a read of their site. Oxford selection process is very open, 50:50 on GCSE and UKCAT for interview selection. Cambridge's is quite secretive however, they say they look at all parts of the application and that there is some variance between colleges. It is worth doing some BMAT papers before deciding to apply to other BMAT unis. You should look to apply to GCSE heavy unis, the website med compare is a great resource for finding unis depending on your strengths and how they select applicants
Jtohunt
Rep:
?
Report 7 months ago
(Original post by hd187)
If your strength is GCSE's, applying to GCSE heavy Uni's is good, but remember, it only generally secures you an interview. In that case, the main criteria in getting an offer, is doing really well at the Interview. That is what will distinguish you from the other heavy GCSE candidates. And in most cases, the interviews are MMI style Interviews.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (478)
66.48%
No (241)
33.52%

Watched Threads