Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Which one do you think is the best reputation-wise when it comes to studying Law with a Language? I read different league tables but there's a big difference in the rankings of each Uni so im not sure what to do.

Also which one do you think is the strongest in teaching law?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm a recent Aberdeen graduate and I'll separate my response into two parts, the first bit will be about the LLB in each locations and their pros + cons, the second will be about my experience of Aberdeen.

First off, given you're looking at a Law and [insert language] course, do bear in mind that a degree at Swansea or Kent will be valid for England & Wales ( especially as you're likely entering university before the new Solicitor Super Exams get rolled down in England & Wales, which stipulates that any Bachelors degree is valid for the purposes of taking Stage 1 of the qualifying process). Whereas Aberdeen will confine you, not counting any future conversion exams, to the Scottish legal profession. This will be the case unless you opt for Law & English Law at Aberdeen. With regards to Kent and Swansea, remember that both are located in very different locations to Aberdeen. Swansea's of a comparative population to Aberdeen, albeit with a very different economy than the latter. With Aberdeen being a relatively wealthy city, this being particularly the case in the West End and Old Aberdeen. On the other hand, Kent is located near Canterbury- a heart of the English tourist Shire. Out of the three, the most student-centered city would be Aberdeen->Canterbury-> Swansea given Aberdeen's nightlife is dominated by students from Aberdeen and RGU. The same will also hold true for Canterbury with its two universities.

For the second bit, I can only say that Aberdeen has been superb. Alongside with Medicine and Divinity we're the only other Faculty that has its own dedicated library. The staffs here are incredibly welcoming and know their stuff, especially so if you get Robin for your first year course in Private Law. There's loads of chances to get involved in Law School activities such as Casus Omissus, the Law Society, Mooting and intra-faculty academic events. However, when it comes to tutors and lecturers, remember that you only get your maximum shares if you're open-minded and ask loads of questions.

Perhaps one of the greatest benefits of Aberdeen as a law school is its connectivity to both the Aberdonian and Scottish legal profession- evident in the curious fact that Aberdeen has its own 'Society of Advocates' which is a peculiarity arising from the fact that the Aberdeen law degree really only took off in the late 19th century.

With regards to ranking, yes, Aberdeen's ranked 5th in the UK- but I started when we were ranked below 10th. It's only a microcosm of what you might encounter in each universities. So make the best decisions you can make, don't just base it on the rankings alone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosesandmango)
    Which one do you think is the best reputation-wise when it comes to studying Law with a Language? I read different league tables but there's a big difference in the rankings of each Uni so im not sure what to do.

Also which one do you think is the strongest in teaching law?

Thanks
    Aberdeen will be Scottish law, the others English. The difference between the two is considerable, unless you are never going to go into a legal career
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 8, 2018

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Mini Open Day at the Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 19 Dec '18
  • University of East Anglia
    UEA Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 4 Jan '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 9 Jan '19
Poll
Were you ever put in isolation at school?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.