The Student Room Group

Increased appetite

For the past couple of days I've been eating a lot more than usual and it's causing me a significant amount of distress.

I'm 16 and I weigh about 38kg. I walk three miles to school on most days and I do dance every Saturday. I would say I'm moderately active.

Normally I have a low appetite. For instance, I can't finish a jacket potato. Nowadays I feel like I could eat two jacket potatoes. I skipped breakfast because I was late to school then I brought a cookie and a few hashbrowns at break, a small bean burger for lunch, craved noodles but there was nothing home in the evening and i had two portions of rice and a few flatbreads with curries for dinner. I never eat this much. I'll drink orange juice in a while because I usually do that everyday but I don't know why I had so much to eat and I think there could be room for more...

Last month I had a blood test and it came back as normal. I don't know why this is happening :frown: I'm scared that something's wrong with me. I was thinking of waiting until my period starts in a few weeks because usually I eat small portions and have a low appetite on my period.

If I still feel super hungry then I'm definitely sure I need to see my GP again. I don't know. Should I not eat when I feel hungry and stick to my usual 3 meals a day and drink water when I feel hungry otherwise?
Eat if you're hungry.
I don't know how tall you are but you are very light and if you need to gain weight to have a healthy bmi then you should eat more.
As you are walking and doing dance you should be eating more to ensure you are eating sufficient calories for the amount of exercise you are doing.

There's nothing wrong with eating more than normal. More often than not you will go through phases of being very hungry and then not very hungry. If you are hungry do eat though

Quick Reply

Latest