The Student Room Group
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames

Kingston for a shy international student?

Hey everyone.

So I'm a shy girl from California thinking of studying abroad at Kingston for the next school year. Personally, I'm not big on nightlife/drinking, etc. That's not really my scene though since I'm more of an introvert. I guess I'm just wondering if I'll fit in there. I'm looking to to study Politics, so any reviews on their program would be great. Also any hall recommendations for someone like me would also be welcome! While I am shy at first, I'm alright once I get to know people and open up. I'm just really nervous since I'll potentially be really far from home and I can't exactly get a read for how things will be over there in terms of people and the overall vibe.

Thank you in advance to anyone who replies!
Reply 1
I think you'll be alright Elaine, as long as you just keep yourself to yourself. Do you know anyone here in UK?
Kingston University
Kingston University
Kingston upon Thames
Reply 2
Original post by MrAcc
I think you'll be alright Elaine, as long as you just keep yourself to yourself. Do you know anyone here in UK?

Not at all 😅 And I think that’s part of the reason I’m nervous too. It’s pretty daunting since I don’t know anyone at all.
I would most definitely recommend Kingston if you want to come over to the UK for uni. I am currently studdying IT at Kingston College and love the area that surrounds; so much so that even though I was planning on going out of London for university (since I have lived in London all my life), spending time there for college has made me want to stay for uni.

I'm quite introverted myself most of the time but plan to put my self out there a bit more when I start uni in September. Once you settle in with the right group of friends and get into the swing of things, I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself :smile:

As for the halls, there are different ones recommended depending on which of the campuses you're studdying at. All that I have got from reading so far is that Seething Wells is the best for the party scene so maybe stray away from there if you aren't into that kind of thing.

Hope this helps you to some degree (even though I don't actually attend the uni yet :tongue:)
Reply 4
What degree/campus will you be at? I might be joining in September 2019...
I'm also an international student who accepted their offer from Kingston! I'm coming over for my MSc in International Business Management, very excited, hopefully we'll run into each other at some point! I'm trying to stay away from drinking & partying also.
Reply 6
Hi, there sorry for the LATE reply! Well I just got accepted to study at Kingston very recently so I'm not sure what campus I'll end up at. But considering I'd be in the social sciences I'd have to guess Penrhyn Road. How about you?
Original post by mattd314
What degree/campus will you be at? I might be joining in September 2019...
Reply 7
That's awesome are you starting in September? Where are you from originally, if you don't mind me asking? Also sorry for the super late reply for some reason I didn't get notified that people commented on my thread...
Original post by rshifty
I'm also an international student who accepted their offer from Kingston! I'm coming over for my MSc in International Business Management, very excited, hopefully we'll run into each other at some point! I'm trying to stay away from drinking & partying also.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending