dac + headphones Watch

Nightowk
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Looking at the FiiO E10k as it seems to be the only decent budget one. Would there be a difference between this and say

Creative Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1 PCIe Sound Card with SBX Pro Studio

Also was recommended monoprice headphones on here that were about 20 quid a few years ago and now theyre 35 but was looking at yamaha mt5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-HPHM...01MRE646J?th=1

Really i want it for music more than gaming, not production just good listening.

Thx in advance.
Gofre
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Nightowk)
Looking at the FiiO E10k as it seems to be the only decent budget one. Would there be a difference between this and say

Creative Blaster Audigy Fx 5.1 PCIe Sound Card with SBX Pro Studio

Also was recommended monoprice headphones on here that were about 20 quid a few years ago and now theyre 35 but was looking at yamaha mt5

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yamaha-HPHM...01MRE646J?th=1

Really i want it for music more than gaming, not production just good listening.

Thx in advance.
You do not need a DAC/amp if you're spending that little on headphones, just devote your whole budget to a better pair of headphones. How much were you going to be spending in total?
Nightowk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
You do not need a DAC/amp if you're spending that little on headphones, just devote your whole budget to a better pair of headphones. How much were you going to be spending in total?
I am using asus onboard audio atm, I would use the spdif port but its reported to not be much better so I may just go for the soundcard and some decent headphones then.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
I am using asus onboard audio atm, I would use the spdif port but its reported to not be much better so I may just go for the soundcard and some decent headphones then.
To be more specific, sound cards are just DAC/amps that connect internally rather than externally. You do not need a DAC/amp or soundcard if you are spending this little on headphones, a £150 pair of headphones will sound better than an amped £90 pair even using onboard audio. You can then make those headphones sound better with an amp at a later date if you want to.

What's your overall budget?
Nightowk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
To be more specific, sound cards are just DAC/amps that connect internally rather than externally. You do not need a DAC/amp or soundcard if you are spending this little on headphones, a £150 pair of headphones will sound better than an amped £90 pair even using onboard audio. You can then make those headphones sound better with an amp at a later date if you want to.

What's your overall budget?
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Will they just be used at home or as a portable pair too?
Nightowk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gofre)
Will they just be used at home or as a portable pair too?
home, thx for your help btw im sure it was you who recommended them monoprice's still work jus the cushioning is ripped and sometimes i have to give em a whack as only one side works
Last edited by Nightowk; 1 month ago
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
home, thx for your help btw im sure it was you who recommended them monoprice's still work jus the cushioning is ripped and sometimes i have to give em a whack as only one side works
Yep, that was probably me who recommended the Monoprice.

For £200 I would pick up a pair of AKG K712 Pro, excellent headphones that will scale up nicely with an amplifier at a later date.
Tootles
Badges: 20
Report 1 month ago
Unless you're going to be mixing and mastering records of audiophile-level sound quality, onboard audio is good enough for listening to music and watching videos. Most people can't actually tell the difference anyway, as an audiophole myself, I'll happily say that most of us are simply snobs.

You could do much worse than getting something like, say Sennheiser HD 4.30 headphones (which I use regularly at home). The quality is perfectly good, and they include a microphone for calls or light recording.
Gofre
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Tootles)
I'll happily say that most of us are simply snobs.
Pffft, you've clearly not got your system rigged up with £1000 interconnects, it's bottlenecking your whole experience!
Tootles
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Pffft, you've clearly not got your system rigged up with £1000 interconnects, it's bottlenecking your whole experience!
:rolleyes:

My system is pretty good actually. The only thing is that my tape deck is an early 1970s Technics, rather than a Nakamichi Dragon, which obviously I'd rather have.

Still sounds amazing though.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
As others have said, don't bother with an external DAC.

For this type of use, I'd recommend the Sennheiser HD280 Pro, although it really depends on your budget, taste, and listening environment. I don't know what they cost in the UK (which may change the VFM) - they're around $100 in the US.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Gofre)
Not to mention those directional wires ..
Nightowk
Rep:
?
(Original post by Tootles)
Unless you're going to be mixing and mastering records of audiophile-level sound quality, onboard audio is good enough for listening to music and watching videos. Most people can't actually tell the difference anyway, as an audiophole myself, I'll happily say that most of us are simply snobs.

You could do much worse than getting something like, say Sennheiser HD 4.30 headphones (which I use regularly at home). The quality is perfectly good, and they include a microphone for calls or light recording.
The onboard audio in current B350-F board is noticably worse than by 10 year old sound blaster audigy fx whiich is around 20 quid now
Tootles
Report 1 month ago
The onboard audio in current B350-F board is noticably worse than by 10 year old sound blaster audigy fx whiich is around 20 quid now
That's a pity.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1099)
79.18%
Leave (289)
20.82%

Watched Threads