The Student Room Group

How to choose a career path suitable for me?

I'm really scared and obsess over this a lot to the point of annoying my mum, siblings and friends. I'm just really scared i'll make the wrong choice and regret it.
How to get over this fear and actually choose and stick to something?? Please help.
Reply 1
Original post by Hannmariex
Just think about what you like the most and talk about the most and that should be your answer. I didn't realise this till later in year 12 but as soon as I did everything just made sense

Really? Until year 12? How did you choose your subjects then?
Thank you for your answer; it comforted me a lot.
Reply 2
Wow... That's fascinating! A really good approach, thank you on the advice :biggrin:
You're really taking aerospace engineering? That's incredible.
I will take the advice. Thank you so much for giving me a really cool anecdote.
I like long; so it was fun reading :smile:
The above advice is very useful

Make 3 tables, and update them constantly. Subjects you like, subjects you are good at, and professions that took your interest (maybe from family, tv etc). See if any align. You can eliminate hundreds of professions just by realising you dislike a school subject

Something I will say is to not put too much pressure finding the perfect career. Chances are if you liked and enjoyed one career you would also like and enjoy another because of the transferable skills. Try to focus on a ball park for now

In the US you aren't allowed to study a professional degree (medicine, law etc) until you do a generic undergraduate beforehand anyway

A few close friends of mind did very different undergraduate degrees compared to the careers they are in now. They didn't regret it as they enjoyed their initial degrees even though they realised career wise it wasn't for them

If you do, in the worst case scenario,realise the degree you are on isn't for you just focus on making the most of it and getting the best grades to help any conversions to go smoothly.

Your life doesn't start when are fully qualified, it will just be a part of your life. Enjoy your time figuring out your dream/getting to your dream,but just do not become complacent as you'll see that the you'll be behind everyone else if you suddenly work out what you want to do but didn't do anything until then

Work experience and university open days in areas that interest you help a lot too
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Yes, everything you said is true. I should write down my options and thoughts. Thank you so much for the advice. Really.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending