The Student Room Group

Gap year medical applicant + A level resit discussions and advice

Hi everyone, I'd like to start this discussion to talk to other people in the same boat as me, and exchange advice with people. Anyone on a gap year applying for any medicine or medical related course is welcoming to discuss anything and everything, from their story, their successes, failures, schedule, employment, hobbies, dating, etc. Insights in to any topic related to being a gap year applicant at all. I'm not here as an expert but rather just want to hear everyone else's stories and situation. Brief overview of me:

I'm Adam and I live in central London. I applied in year 13 for medicine but was unsuccessful. I am reapplying for medicine during my gap year and would like to be in touch with others doing the same for whatever reason.

GCSEs: 6A* 2A B C
AS: 3 As Bio, Chem, Maths. 1 B History
Dropped history going in to year 13. Some problems which were discussed on my extenuating circumstances application caused me to miss the first 3 months of A2.
Applied to Cambridge (open application then assigned to Magdalene College), Leeds, Imperial, UCL for A100 Medicine.
A2: ABD Bio, Chem, Maths.
Currently resitting Chemistry and Maths externally (no school or college, self directed study at my own discretion), aiming for A*A*.
During this gap year, I've applied to Oxford (Worcester College) and Leeds for medicine. Also UCL, Warwick and Nottingham for Biochemistry.

Extra Curriculars:
UCL Target Medicine Summer school: 3 days of the Summer of year 11,
UCL Target medicine mentoring scheme: once or twice a month for all of year 12 and support in year 13.
Trip to a workshop at the Royal College of Surgeons October of year 12.
Paid work at McDonald's From start of year 12 towards the end of year 13.
Biological practical skills trip to PhD student's lab at Addenbrooke's hospital, Cambridge summer year 12.
UCL Chemistry day trip summer year 12.
Volunteering in a London hospital once a week for 2 months during summer of year 12.
1 week shadowing of various surgeons in the plastic surgery department of a London hospital in the summer of year 12.
After exams of year 13 until present, employed by the NHS in simple admin work.

BMATs:
2017: 3.9 4.5 3.5A
2018: 5.5 5.0 3A

Misc
I had only 1 interview in year 13, and that was with Cambridge surprisingly, ****ed 1 of the 2 interviews, no offer.
This year so far (nov 23rd) I have offers from Warwick (ABB) and Nottingham (AAB) for biochemistry. Waiting on decisions from UCL (Biochemistry), Oxford (A100) and Leeds (A100).
My time is taken up by working, studying, going to the gym and hanging out/drinking with friends.
My exam boards are AQA for Biology and Chemistry, and OCR (MEI) for Mathematics (old spec).

Please feel welcome to ask questions. And I wanna hear about your situations too!
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hey,

Good luck on your application!!

Just wondering why you only applied for 2 Medicine courses and one of them was Oxford? I would have thought that tatically you would have applied for 4 Medicine then 1 Biomedicine? Also just wondering why you applied for Oxford, it seems unlikely with ABD/resit that you would get an offer? I would have thought applying to lower ranked, less popular places for Medicine would have been statistically better ?

For the record, not trying to be mean! Im sure you have thought this through and are much more clued up on this than i am, so wondering what your thought pattern was!
Original post by AdamHCM

Please feel welcome to ask questions. And I wanna hear about your situations too!

Be sure to check the unis A level resit policy.
Reply 3
Original post by Yellow2914
Hey,

Good luck on your application!!

Just wondering why you only applied for 2 Medicine courses and one of them was Oxford? I would have thought that tatically you would have applied for 4 Medicine then 1 Biomedicine? Also just wondering why you applied for Oxford, it seems unlikely with ABD/resit that you would get an offer? I would have thought applying to lower ranked, less popular places for Medicine would have been statistically better ?

For the record, not trying to be mean! Im sure you have thought this through and are much more clued up on this than i am, so wondering what your thought pattern was!

So its a bit complicated. Most med schools have a complete NONONO to any resits. However, after a lot of extensive research, I found out every single medical schools policy when it came to resit applicants.

There are a few types:

1. No Resits/No longer than 2 years of study. For example UCl, Imperial.

2. Resits with extenuating/mitigating circumstances. For example Leeds, Oxford.

3. Resits as long as you were only a couple grades off of the entry requirement e.g AAB. BSMS, Lancaster.

4. Resits allowed but you can only apply after receiving your grades (after 3 years of study). Keele.

5. Resits allowed. Exeter.

Some medical schools are a mixture of 2 and 3, 2 and 4, and 2 3 and 4.

I didn't study up properly for the UKCAT and became incredibly ill just before taking it so I didn't bother going in. The only Unis that would take an application from me (with my extenuating circumstances) and take the BMAT were Oxford, and Leeds.

Yes, ideally I would have liked 3/4 medical schools, but I simply just couldn't apply due to their resit policies. I either scored too low on the 1st time, and/or need to apply after receiving results.
I am resitting my A levels in a new college. Different exam boards for bio and chem but since I did the old maths A levels they will order it specifically for me :smile: . I will update you when I know things
Reply 5
Original post by Linalolo
I am resitting my A levels in a new college. Different exam boards for bio and chem but since I did the old maths A levels they will order it specifically for me :smile: . I will update you when I know things

Nice, how is it adjusting to new exam boards and a new college?
Original post by AdamHCM
Nice, how is it adjusting to new exam boards and a new college?

new college is fine.. Exam board for biology went from AQA (paper 1 was terrible last year lol) now I am doing OCR and half the A2 stuff is new to me !!! It is so much harder than AQA but at least the questions are decent and the markscheme doesnt make me bang my head against the wall. Chemistry switch from edexcel to OCR so its alright some stuff is different but mainly the same
Reply 7
new college is fine.. Exam board for biology went from AQA (paper 1 was terrible last year lol) now I am doing OCR and half the A2 stuff is new to me !!! It is so much harder than AQA but at least the questions are decent and the markscheme doesnt make me bang my head against the wall. Chemistry switch from edexcel to OCR so its alright some stuff is different but mainly the same

Bio AQA was shambolic last year !

I initially wanted to go to another college or the same college but most places wouldn't take me, so I just decided to resit externally.
Original post by AdamHCM
Bio AQA was shambolic last year !

I initially wanted to go to another college or the same college but most places wouldn't take me, so I just decided to resit externally.

wtf really?? they wouldnt take you?? I was lucky that this sixth form college is really big and not strict
Im glad you joined the gc :smile:

You can help me in Chemistry :lol:
Reply 10
Original post by SilverWater
Im glad you joined the gc :smile:

You can help me in Chemistry :lol:

Which exam board are you on?
Original post by AdamHCM
Which exam board are you on?

Ocr A
So can you reapply to Unis you got rejected from in the first year?
Reply 13
Original post by How r u ???
So can you reapply to Unis you got rejected from in the first year?

yes

Hi,I'm in a similar position to you. I'm resisting at a new colleg my Biology and Psychology is the same except for 2 different modules in Psychology but my chemistry has changed from AQA to Edexcel Im not sure on whether to stick to AQA or change to Edexcel as the A2 is fairly similar except for I haven't done the AS year so I'm very unsur, I can talk to the college and ask them to do the AQA paper but as an external student so that is a possibility .

Reply 15
Original post by Shehabis1

Hi,I'm in a similar position to you. I'm resisting at a new colleg my Biology and Psychology is the same except for 2 different modules in Psychology but my chemistry has changed from AQA to Edexcel Im not sure on whether to stick to AQA or change to Edexcel as the A2 is fairly similar except for I haven't done the AS year so I'm very unsur, I can talk to the college and ask them to do the AQA paper but as an external student so that is a possibility .

I think you should do EDEXCEL and compare the specs, any spec point that has changed, read over it thoroughly and if you are stuck, then ask a teacher for help.

Personally, I'm quite confident as an external student, if you think you can take AQA alone, then go for it, otherwise, if you are not feeling very confident to study alone, then take EDEXCEL and use your teachers to support you.
[QUOTE="AdamHCM;81443138"]I think you should do EDEXCEL and compare the specs, any spec point that has changed, read over it thoroughly and if you are stuck, then ask a teacher for help.

Personally, I'm quite confident as an external student, if you think you can take AQA alone, then go for it, otherwise, if you are not feeling very confident to study alone, then take EDEXCEL and use your teachers to support you.[/QUOTE

I understand what you're saying and it's one of the things pulling me to edexcel but then I just keep thinking well if I've done AQA for 2 years then maybe it's better to stick with that do you get me? I'm kinda stuck, in fairness I have got an edexcel mock next week and I'm just going to see how that goes.
Hi,
I am resitting my Chemistry Alevel after achieving AAB in Biology, Geography and Chemistry (plus A in my EPQ) in 2017.
I've applied for Medicine at Sheffield, HYMS, Plymouth and Bristol (in favourable order)
Sheffield's offer should be AAB+A (EPQ) and HYMS, if I firm them, should be AAB.
However because Plymouth and Bristol require A's/A*'s, I couldn't risk not resitting and not getting offers from Sheffield and HYMS.

So my question is if either Sheffield or HYMS give me offers would they still require me to carry on resitting my Chemistry even if it's not included in their offer?
Original post by Shehabis1

Just do edexcel. Stick to what your classmates are doing. It is the same reformed A level so its not the same as my maths paper. The maths is a different story. I am doing the same as the rest of the class for biology and chemistry even though my exam board has changed. Yes there are some chapters different and some things are required in more detail so I need to go over the AS and A2 stuff to make sure im caught up.
Original post by Elbear24
Hi,
I am resitting my Chemistry Alevel after achieving AAB in Biology, Geography and Chemistry (plus A in my EPQ) in 2017.
I've applied for Medicine at Sheffield, HYMS, Plymouth and Bristol (in favourable order)
Sheffield's offer should be AAB+A (EPQ) and HYMS, if I firm them, should be AAB.
However because Plymouth and Bristol require A's/A*'s, I couldn't risk not resitting and not getting offers from Sheffield and HYMS.

So my question is if either Sheffield or HYMS give me offers would they still require me to carry on resitting my Chemistry even if it's not included in their offer?

Hi, I'm also in a similar situation to you - have you managed to find out anything regarding this matter? Technically we shouldn't have to resit according to their policy, but the problem is that the resit is stated in our UCAS application. Have you heard back from HYMS?

Quick Reply

Latest