+254770706500
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Which is the most accurate method should i use to do referencing on my papers. Some told me to use auto referencing on MS word. Who has any other better idea?
AzureCeleste
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Do it yourself?
I use citemethis
modifiedgenes
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Whoa. Don't go using online toolboxes or auto referencing features in programs like word. It is a bad habit that you don't want to start using. Every uni or academic institution will have their own preferred layout for referencing and citations. You must follow their particular rules to the letter. If you learn anything use the standard Harvard version but beware most universities have variations on it.

It really is quite easy, just make a note of every reference as you use it, then put them on a list at the end of your document.
04MR17
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Moved to University life
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Look at getting a citation/referencing programme like Endnote or Mendeley (you might be able to get them via your uni, if not there will certainly be some programme available on university computers). They allow you to keep a list of your references and format your citations and reference list in most of the various referencing styles. Endnote has a 'cite as you write' plug in for word.

You university library would be a good place to get advice and help on referencing and will probably have some kind of training on offer to use whatever their preferred referencing programme is. It's not difficult to reference by hand at undergraduate level tbh, but it is useful to have a handle on how to use reference management software for when you have a higher number of references to deal with (if you have a final year project or something, that might be of a length where the number of references you have means referencing by hand makes it hard to keep track of everything).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (518)
33.77%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (634)
41.33%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (312)
20.34%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (70)
4.56%

Watched Threads