The Student Room Group

Young missionary killed by rural tribe

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rs5644
No we couldn't.What are you not understanding here? Even if we invaded with guns, tied them up and stuck needles in them it still wouldn't work. It wouldn't work because non- fatal illnesses such as the common cold could prove fatal for them.We don't have anything to stop a cold.We have drugs that can effect the symptoms but we can't cure a cold or prevent people from getting one.They have been isolated for 50,000 years which means they have no resistance to diseases that we do.So whilst a cold won't kill us it might very well kill them.Its nothing to do with whether we can subdue them or not.We literally don't possess the medical know how to vaccinate them.

Yes, I’ve acknowledged that. The point I was debating in this exchange is whether or not they could be immunised, as in whether they would let you.

Original post by Rs5644
And the Saudis rules are completely different.Thats a brutal barbaric regime.The law against gays exists to oppress people.The law against going to North Sentinel Island exists to prevent people getting killed on either side.

Your statement was absolute, I used the example of the Saudis to show how silly it was. I very much doubt the law of India is “go there and you’re responsible if they kill you”

There should not be any further action or arrests. It would be totally and morally wrong . The man was an idiot and a fool to go there in the first place . The only person to blame is the man himself and the Christian faith generally . No group of people or individual persons should have religious nonsense forced upon them without their consent . It's utter madness .
Original post by Underscore__
But no island does protect it boarders to such an extent that if you go anywhere near it you’ll be shot at. The clear problem is that I judge them by a modern standard; I don’t think choosing to live in the Stone Age means you get to behave like a barbarian. It seems everyone else is wanting to judge them by what the average man of 1,000,000bc would do

They absolutely do, the UK does? Hell, plenty USA states let you blow away people just for approaching your home with a funny look. As I said before, there are layers and layers of law and paperwork on top it, but the essential role and message of border patrol is they will physically stop you one way or another and they're geneally either armed or can call upon armed forces. If an unidentified ship tried heading for a UK port it will be intercepted and challenged, lots of nice questions and warnings by radio/semaphore/flares whatever..but if they don't cooperate..then it'll get some warning shots.....past that it will either be fired on or boarded by armed forces. The last resort behind all these policies is still the threat of lethal force.

I think the mistake is in trying to judge them at all, we haven't much idea how they live. And that drives us mental, it's like a closed box has been put in front of us and we've been told not to look inside, we want to, even though we've been told not to and it doesn't belong to us and neither does whatever is inside, but we'll invent all sorts of reasons why we should open it.

There's really no need to go there and bother them unless you intend to harm or exploit them, as others have pointed out, 'immunisation' doesn't work that simply and we don't have enough knowledge, we would only find out where we went wrong when they all died (like last time). frankly it's not a good enough reason to bother them anyway, just another form of missionary. (No btw, they wouldn't let you, they've well clocked we bring disease, they responded to being gifted a live pig by killing and burying it away from their home, they're not daft)
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Jebedee
You don't believe that anyone has advocated for open borders? Do you even YouTube? Or read for that matter.

https://youtu.be/-IkJXBaR7lE

I don't believe people have said having a wall per se is racist, regardless of the reasoning behind having the wall.
Original post by The Champion.m4a
I don't believe people have said having a wall per se is racist, regardless of the reasoning behind having the wall.

But having seen my previous link, and perhaps glanced at the multitude of examples in the media and social media. Surely now you concede that there are those that do think walls are racist.
Original post by StriderHort
They absolutely do, the UK does? Hell, plenty USA states let you blow away people just for approaching your home with a funny look. As I said before, there are layers and layers of law and paperwork on top it, but the essential role and message of border patrol is they will physically stop you one way or another and they're geneally either armed or can call upon armed forces. If an unidentified ship tried heading for a UK port it will be intercepted and challenged, lots of nice questions and warnings by radio/semaphore/flares whatever..but if they don't cooperate..then it'll get some warning shots.....past that it will either be fired on or boarded by armed forces. The last resort behind all these policies is still the threat of lethal force.

I think the mistake is in trying to judge them at all, we haven't much idea how they live. And that drives us mental, it's like a closed box has been put in front of us and we've been told not to look inside, we want to, even though we've been told not to and it doesn't belong to us and neither does whatever is inside, but we'll invent all sorts of reasons why we should open it.

There's really no need to go there and bother them unless you intend to harm or exploit them, as others have pointed out, 'immunisation' doesn't work that simply and we don't have enough knowledge, we would only find out where we went wrong when they all died (like last time). frankly it's not a good enough reason to bother them anyway, just another form of missionary. (No btw, they wouldn't let you, they've well clocked we bring disease, they responded to being gifted a live pig by killing and burying it away from their home, they're not daft)

But as you said questions would be asked if an I identified ship headed toward the coast and if you want to come to the UK there is a very clear and easy to follow process. If we shot at absolutely any foreign boat, plane or person who got close that’s would be comparable to what happened here.

They’re people and I don’t care what their culture is shooting first and never bothering to ask questions is wrong
But as you said questions would be asked if an I identified ship headed toward the coast and if you want to come to the UK there is a very clear and easy to follow process. If we shot at absolutely any foreign boat, plane or person who got close that’s would be comparable to what happened here.

They’re people and I don’t care what their culture is shooting first and never bothering to ask questions is wrong

Which would be quite correct and proper but this is a very primitive isolated tribe of 'savages' who have no concept of modern western civilisation . Surely you can see the issues here ....? It would be morally unacceptable for such people to face western justice in such circumstances .

Whether it's worng or not is frankly your own opinion, as is mine, far smarter people than either of us have researched and came to the conclusion that certain tribes simply cannot be integrated,

Questions would be asked first in the UK because we have developed, discarded and refined a huuuuuge system of laws and military oversight that provides all these little warnings before they shoot you. The Sentinel Island doesn't, it's pretty much that simple, they aren't obligated to adopt our system of laws and more than we are theirs. What questions would they ask anyway? 'Yasarrghhlurryaaa!?' WTF use is that?

Plenty of countries shoot at people...how many incidents have cropped up in the last decade alone of a plane or boat being splashed because it 'strayed into hostile/unknown airspace' between 2 touchy neighbours? How many incidents happen in areas like the Korean DMZ?. In the UK we're a bit nannied, we have no big outside threats and we have lots of signs and social norms telling us how to act and what our limits are. somewhere a bit more tribal simply doesn't, rules are enforced according to threat to the tribe (of which this guy posed a huge one)

Whatever our views on whether this is right or wrong, none of these issues exist if you simply respect their wishes and leave them alone.
(edited 5 years ago)
Maybe they thought he was coming to steal their advanced technology.
Original post by MrMusician95
If this was the American who wanted to preach Christianity to the tribe then good riddance. One, don't try to force your beliefs on someone else. And two, you are told to leave the tribe alone. So what do you expect? Fool.

Do you put these sentiments into action when jehovah's witnesses come knocking at your door and won't take no for an answer?
Original post by Jebedee
But having seen my previous link, and perhaps glanced at the multitude of examples in the media and social media. Surely now you concede that there are those that do think walls are racist.

I wasn't paying much attention, but I didn't hear the words "wall" or "racism" from that nobody.
Original post by Johnny English
Which would be quite correct and proper but this is a very primitive isolated tribe of 'savages' who have no concept of modern western civilisation . Surely you can see the issues here ....? It would be morally unacceptable for such people to face western justice in such circumstances .

I haven’t proposed they face ‘western justice’, I hold all humans to a certain level; killing people and never bothering to ask questions falls below that standard
I haven’t proposed they face ‘western justice’, I hold all humans to a certain level; killing people and never bothering to ask questions falls below that standard

It's a similar scenario to that faced when the first humans faced neanderthals for the first time ...but back then there wasn't people passing moral judgements like there is now . You're looking at it by YOUR own moral standards rather than through some primitive tribesmans eyes who saw the white man as a threat to his existence and didn't have the benefit of a western cultured education .
I hold all humans to a certain level; killing people and never bothering to ask questions falls below that standard

The islanders see themselves, for good reason, as being in a fight for their very existence. Indeed, they are, though not just for the reasons they can understand. Anyone coming into contact with them is likely to infect them with diseases to which they have no immunity or resistance, and their past experience is that invaders will also bring overwhelming technical superiority in warfare, which will lead to their demise.

In those circumstances we would behave in a very similar way. This is why India forbids contact with them to everyone, including naive and well-meaning religious nutters..
Whether it's worng or not is frankly your own opinion, as is mine, far smarter people than either of us have researched and came to the conclusion that certain tribes simply cannot be integrated,

That’s an absurd argument, which people specifically are you referring to and what evidence have they put forward? I’m not interested in judging a persons opinion from your belief on their intelligence.

Questions would be asked first in the UK because we have developed, discarded and refined a huuuuuge system of laws and military oversight that provides all these little warnings before they shoot you. The Sentinel Island doesn't, it's pretty much that simple, they aren't obligated to adopt our system of laws and more than we are theirs. What questions would they ask anyway? 'Yasarrghhlurryaaa!?' WTF use is that?

And if the story was that they had tried to warn him but he didn’t turn back then I would understand but I think pretty poorly on a culture which says ‘we don’t have to try and communicate with strangers, we’ll just shoot at them just in case they’re a threat’.

Plenty of countries shoot at people...how many incidents have cropped up in the last decade alone of a plane or boat being splashed because it 'strayed into hostile/unknown airspace' between 2 touchy neighbours? How many incidents happen in areas like the Korean DMZ?. In the UK we're a bit nannied, we have no big outside threats and we have lots of signs and social norms telling us how to act and what our limits are. somewhere a bit more tribal simply doesn't, rules are enforced according to threat to the tribe (of which this guy posed a huge one)

And I would say that’s wrong and I would bet there was international condemnation.

Whatever our views on whether this is right or wrong, none of these issues exist if you simply respect their wishes and leave them alone.

But that doesn’t appear to be their wishes all the time, there’s video footage of them being far friendlier to outsiders. How is anyone to know who they will and won’t shoot at?
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Johnny English
It's a similar scenario to that faced when the first humans faced neanderthals for the first time ...but back then there wasn't people passing moral judgements like there is now . You're looking at it by YOUR own moral standards rather than through some primitive tribesmans eyes who saw the white man as a threat to his existence and didn't have the benefit of a western cultured education .

Like I said, I expect a basic level of humanity from all humans, they fell below that level.
Original post by Good bloke
The islanders see themselves, for good reason, as being in a fight for their very existence. Indeed, they are, though not just for the reasons they can understand. Anyone coming into contact with them is likely to infect them with diseases to which they have no immunity or resistance, and their past experience is that invaders will also bring overwhelming technical superiority in warfare, which will lead to their demise.

In those circumstances we would behave in a very similar way. This is why India forbids contact with them to everyone, including naive and well-meaning religious nutters..

How do you know how they feel?

As you said, they likely don’t understand the risk they face from infection so what excuse could they have for shooting at him?
Like I said, I expect a basic level of humanity from all humans, they fell below that level.

That is very naive. All groups will place their own survival over anything else. it is even enshrined in the law of all western democracies.

As you said, they likely don’t understand the risk they face from infection so what excuse could they have for shooting at him?

I don't know how they feel. As I said, their past interactions with outsiders have resulted in severe losses for them. Why would they risk that again. As it happens, even a short pleasant conversation (if that were possible) would present a severe risk of epidemic catastrophe.

You have no right to expect them to follow your morailty.

Well the British once kidnapped some of the sentinelese.Two of them died from infection and the children were sent back with presents.Its likely they could have been infected too and spread disease.You don't need to be able to see microbes to associate the coming of outsiders with disease.Plus maybe they heard about what happened to indigenous people in the rest of the Andaman Islands.Clue: There aren't many left.The Chinese were also known for slaving expeditions in those islands.You don't need to fear disease to fear being colonised and wiped out.They've seen our helicopters so they must know we are more powerful.Shooting at foreigners is self defence.

And whilst they might not have been aware of microbes the missionary most certainly was.So he was willing to risk mass murder just so he could impose his beliefs on them! If anything is to blame here it's Christianity.He was so worried about their eternal soul that's he's gone and thrown away the only life he'll ever have.Tragic on so many levels.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending