Impact22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
Hi everyone,

I'm a current undergraduate (not in nursing) who's seriously considering going into a nursing career when I'm finished uni in Summer 2019. I've got a reasonably decent level of exposure to the field which I'm now looking to increase as I decide whether this career is definitely the one for me.

One question I had was in terms of the different 'steams' of nursing - the ability to train as an adult, child or mental health nurse. One area I'm potentially keen to work in is essentially a cross-over between two of these areas - I'm really looking into working in pediatric mental health nursing or something along those lines.

My question is whether in order to do this (if I decided it's for me), would I be better off training in child or mental health nursing? And does training in one of these three areas allow for flexibility in terms of transitioning to another branch 'post-qualification' if we decide it's not right for us? I'm struggling to find a great deal of information online in terms of how restrictive these sub-sections of nursing are in terms of working outside of them.

Thanks for any help!!

Impact22
SmilingWombat
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Impact22)
Hi everyone,

I'm a current undergraduate (not in nursing) who's seriously considering going into a nursing career when I'm finished uni in Summer 2019. I've got a reasonably decent level of exposure to the field which I'm now looking to increase as I decide whether this career is definitely the one for me.

One question I had was in terms of the different 'steams' of nursing - the ability to train as an adult, child or mental health nurse. One area I'm potentially keen to work in is essentially a cross-over between two of these areas - I'm really looking into working in pediatric mental health nursing or something along those lines.

My question is whether in order to do this (if I decided it's for me), would I be better off training in child or mental health nursing? And does training in one of these three areas allow for flexibility in terms of transitioning to another branch 'post-qualification' if we decide it's not right for us? I'm struggling to find a great deal of information online in terms of how restrictive these sub-sections of nursing are in terms of working outside of them.

Thanks for any help!!

Impact22
Have you considered applying to a uni that does dual degrees, such as Southampton who offer a child and mental health nursing degree?

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/health...al-health.page
Impact22
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 10 months ago
(Original post by SmilingWombat)
Have you considered applying to a uni that does dual degrees, such as Southampton who offer a child and mental health nursing degree?

https://www.southampton.ac.uk/health...al-health.page
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I have looked into this, and the dual registration course really does seem ideal, but as I would be coming into it through a graduate-entry route, and these courses are for first-degree undergraduates, I don’t think I qualify?

I’ve struggled to find any graduate entry courses that allow for dual registration.

Thank you so much for your help!!
moonkatt
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 10 months ago
(Original post by Impact22)
Hi, thanks for your reply!

I have looked into this, and the dual registration course really does seem ideal, but as I would be coming into it through a graduate-entry route, and these courses are for first-degree undergraduates, I don’t think I qualify?

I’ve struggled to find any graduate entry courses that allow for dual registration.

Thank you so much for your help!!
You can apply for undergrad and should attract funding for it even though it’s a second undergrad.

As for changing of branches, some universities allow this whilst on the course but I don’t know if this is possible on postgrad courses, there are also some courses about that will allow you to register in another branch too post qualification.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University for the Creative Arts
    Sun, 20 Oct '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    Sun, 20 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (105)
66.04%
No I haven't decided yet (33)
20.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (21)
13.21%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed