The Student Room Group

Am I switching A Levels too late?

Okay, so I currently study English Literature, Politics and Psychology.

And I just absolutely am hating Psychology, not only do I find it obscenely difficult, I find it difficult to motivate myself to revise for it. I barely passed GCSE science and find the scientific element too much.

I am trying to move to A Level History, I did not study this at GCSE but the Head of History says they know my aptitude for writing is there and I am able to write analytical pieces. I have to learn a terms worth of content before January and I will sit an exam and I have to score decently in order to be able to switch - so I will study my 3 A Levels and History during my frees and at home.

My question is has anyone switched to History before and more specifically after not doing it at GCSE? What resources do people use?

We are doing the American Dream, Britain gaining and losing the empire, Civil Rights and Russian Revolution (coursework)

Any help is so appreciated!

Also I scored a low C in my Psychology AS mock, and a very high B in my Politics mock (1 mark off an A) and haven’t received my results from English but most likely a middle B.
Well, I do history gcse. And from what I've been told you don't need to have done gcse history to do the A level. Especially considering that you may not even do the same topics as those done in gcse.

As long as you have a good aptitude for English and writing in general you'd be fine.

The main issue would be the content. You'd have a lot to make up for. But if you are willing to work really really hard for it then I'm sure it'd be feasible.

Although, it is generally said to be a bad idea to switch a levels so late in the year.

Please take all I've said with caution, I'm only in year 10. And so have zero experience with a levels.
Original post by _Mia101
Well, I do history gcse. And from what I've been told you don't need to have done gcse history to do the A level. Especially considering that you may not even do the same topics as those done in gcse.

As long as you have a good aptitude for English and writing in general you'd be fine.

The main issue would be the content. You'd have a lot to make up for. But if you are willing to work really really hard for it then I'm sure it'd be feasible.

Although, it is generally said to be a bad idea to switch a levels so late in the year.

Please take all I've said with caution, I'm only in year 10. And so have zero experience with a levels.

Thank you so much for your response!

Yeah, I’ve talked to people in the class who says it bears no correlation. I know people who have switched A Levels at the end of Year 12, so it is possible. I’m just waiting for the textbooks to properly begin learning
It is definitely possible to be able to catch up on the content before January however it will be difficult - but doable! As long as you work hard you will definitely be able to do it. Good luck!
Original post by bubblecat
It is definitely possible to be able to catch up on the content before January however it will be difficult - but doable! As long as you work hard you will definitely be able to do it. Good luck!

Thank you so much, it’s reassuring to hear. The exam in January is actually a resit for thise who didn’t pass the exam in November to have the opportunity to stay on the course.
Original post by ohdearstudying
Okay, so I currently study English Literature, Politics and Psychology.

And I just absolutely am hating Psychology, not only do I find it obscenely difficult, I find it difficult to motivate myself to revise for it. I barely passed GCSE science and find the scientific element too much.

I am trying to move to A Level History, I did not study this at GCSE but the Head of History says they know my aptitude for writing is there and I am able to write analytical pieces. I have to learn a terms worth of content before January and I will sit an exam and I have to score decently in order to be able to switch - so I will study my 3 A Levels and History during my frees and at home.

My question is has anyone switched to History before and more specifically after not doing it at GCSE? What resources do people use?

We are doing the American Dream, Britain gaining and losing the empire, Civil Rights and Russian Revolution (coursework)

Any help is so appreciated!

Also I scored a low C in my Psychology AS mock, and a very high B in my Politics mock (1 mark off an A) and haven’t received my results from English but most likely a middle B.

History imo is an excellent one to switch into, its whether your school allows it as most will not at this stage.
Seems you have sorted that out, so its just a case of putting the work in.

I wouldnt wait for the books , but start looking at the spec and watching YouTube vids.
Theres probably enough GCSE material on most of those subjects.

It wouldnt matter not doing it at GCSE, except its no harm to appreciate how to write an essay.
Your history teacher should let you know just how much content you need to have covered for the test.
History is just about answering the question set.

Quick Reply

Latest