The Student Room Group

LPC

Shall i do the LPC despite not having much work experience , or take a year out to get some experience and then apply for the lpc.
I want to work in a high street firm so it is unlikely i will find a high street firm to sponsor me.
Reply 1
Original post by Kbar1
Shall i do the LPC despite not having much work experience , or take a year out to get some experience and then apply for the lpc.
I want to work in a high street firm so it is unlikely i will find a high street firm to sponsor me.

Legal work experience isn't a necessity to obtaining a TC. Plenty of applicants will not have much direct experience of working in a law firm (especially if you took the GDL route). As long as your profile is otherwise strong, it's worth applying.

If other aspects of your profile/application are weak, obtaining some relevant experience is a strong idea. In some areas, obtaining a TC can require a bit of perseverance. TC applications are often done so much in advance that you can still send out applications whilst taking time out to get this experience (if your financial situation allows for this). Be aware that in some areas, even getting paralegal work can be quite competitive, so you may need to be flexible regarding location.
Reply 2
thanks for the advice. I have already applied and accepted my position to do my lpc starting in January but i am having second thoughts and thinking of cancelling my acceptance. my current profile is this; I have a first class degree in Law from the University of Leicester and a A*A*B at a level. So academically my profile is fine. However in terms of work experience i have only recently began volunteering at the Citizens advice bureau (still at training level) and have also recently started an unpaid legal internship at a small firm. so my profile is pretty weak in terms of experience. So i am considering whether i should carry on building my experience and begin my LPC in september.

Quick Reply

Latest