The Student Room Group

Would this be accepted as a gcse equivalent

Hi guys so this is kind of weird but consider the circumstances before you launch an assault at me not having GCSES. Basically I have dual citizenship ( South African and English ) im currently living in Qatar. I’m 17 years old and I’m taking an access to higher education Heath diploma ( I want to go into nursing ) now I completed half of year 11 in South Africa. The problem comes in that there aren’t significant exams at that age ( GCSES in England ) the second part of the problem is that the school year is January to November there. So I sat exams in June. They weren’t end of year exams though and I left for the start of the british year in Qatar in September. I got 80’s for math and English though do you think that will count as a gcse equivalent for university. ( I don’t know if it helps that I did reception until year 10 in England ) any thoughts would be appreciated
Original post by Kayla1709
Hi guys so this is kind of weird but consider the circumstances before you launch an assault at me not having GCSES. Basically I have dual citizenship ( South African and English ) im currently living in Qatar. I’m 17 years old and I’m taking an access to higher education Heath diploma ( I want to go into nursing ) now I completed half of year 11 in South Africa. The problem comes in that there aren’t significant exams at that age ( GCSES in England ) the second part of the problem is that the school year is January to November there. So I sat exams in June. They weren’t end of year exams though and I left for the start of the british year in Qatar in September. I got 80’s for math and English though do you think that will count as a gcse equivalent for university. ( I don’t know if it helps that I did reception until year 10 in England ) any thoughts would be appreciated

If it gave you a recognised qualification then possibly. Sounds unlikely though.

You are doing an access to HE qualification in Qatar? Is that QAA recognised?
Are you intending to study in the UK

You can do IELTS and then possibly functional skills maths of they have it there or IGCSE maths.

If you are going to do nursing in the UK have you made your ucas application? Your chosen unis can tell you more about what they will accept. What you mention doesnt seem connected to anything.
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
If it gave you a recognised qualification then possibly. Sounds unlikely though.

You are doing an access to HE qualification in Qatar? Is that QAA recognised?
Are you intending to study in the UK

You can do IELTS and then possibly functional skills maths of they have it there or IGCSE maths.

If you are going to do nursing in the UK have you made your ucas application? Your chosen unis can tell you more about what they will accept. What you mention doesnt seem connected to anything.

I won’t be doing IELTS because I’m applying on a british passport. English is my first language. The access to HE qualification is a british one I’m taking online but it is british certified ( certa ) I’m just in Qatar at the moment for family circumstances. I’m in the process of my UCAS application at the moment. I’ll meet the credits for access to HE but I’m concerned as every nursing course requires a C in gcse math or equivalent. I just don’t know if what I have would constitute as an equivalent.
I won’t be doing IELTS because I’m applying on a british passport. English is my first language. The access to HE qualification is a british one I’m taking online but it is british certified ( certa ) I’m just in Qatar at the moment for family circumstances. I’m in the process of my UCAS application at the moment. I’ll meet the credits for access to HE but I’m concerned as every nursing course requires a C in gcse math or equivalent. I just don’t know if what I have would constitute as an equivalent.

Even if English is your first language you will still almost certainly need to prove your English language proficiency, which in most cases is GCSE English as well as GCSE Maths. Contact the unis concerned, but from your description it isnt a qualification juts a test, so i doubt it.

Applying on a British passport doesnt mean a lot as you also need to satisfy resident requirements.
Reply 4
Even if English is your first language you will still almost certainly need to prove your English language proficiency, which in most cases is GCSE English as well as GCSE Maths. Contact the unis concerned, but from your description it isnt a qualification juts a test, so i doubt it.

Applying on a British passport doesnt mean a lot as you also need to satisfy resident requirements.

You’re correct it is a set of exams but year 11 isn’t a formal qualification year. So applying as a british student doesn’t mean you have to fit that entry criteria. I really appreciate your help
You’re correct it is a set of exams but year 11 isn’t a formal qualification year. So applying as a british student doesn’t mean you have to fit that entry criteria. I really appreciate your help

1. I dont think they will recognise the maths because it isnt a qualification.
2. You still have to meet the English criteria, every student, EU, UK, Non EU all have to meet it through a variety of qualifications. You dont appear to have it, hence IELTS could be one way. Look at the entrance requirement for any uni and you will see they have a language requirement. The same will go for Maths. You may also need to check your Access has sufficient science content.
3. You need to figure out where you are going to get the Maths and English from.

Ps I have no idea of your situation and whether you expect to rely on UK student loans, but if you are then you should check to see if you are eligible.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 6
1. I dont think they will recognise the maths because it isnt a qualification.
2. You still have to meet the English criteria, every student, EU, UK, Non EU all have to meet it through a variety of qualifications. You dont appear to have it, hence IELTS could be one way. Look at the entrance requirement for any uni and you will see they have a language requirement. The same will go for Maths. You may also need to check your Access has sufficient science content.
3. You need to figure out where you are going to get the Maths and English from.

Ps I have no idea of your situation and whether you expect to rely on UK student loans, but if you are then you should check to see if you are eligible.

Thanks, nope no intention on getting any loans. I’m in contact with the university at the moment but as I’m doing a health access it is sufficient science. Thanks again for your help
Thanks, nope no intention on getting any loans. I’m in contact with the university at the moment but as I’m doing a health access it is sufficient science. Thanks again for your help

how do you intend funding your degree. If you left in year 10 you will have been out of the UK for more than 3 years before commencing your degree so will probably have to pay intenational fees. It is something you need to seek clarification on.
Reply 8
Original post by swanseajack1
how do you intend funding your degree. If you left in year 10 you will have been out of the UK for more than 3 years before commencing your degree so will probably have to pay intenational fees. It is something you need to seek clarification on.

We have money to fund the degree without having to rely on loans. My British passport expired last year so we’re waiting for the new one to finish being processed which complicates applications. In the process of seeking clarification at the moment. Thanks for your help
We have money to fund the degree without having to rely on loans. My British passport expired last year so we’re waiting for the new one to finish being processed which complicates applications. In the process of seeking clarification at the moment. Thanks for your help

you are probably going to class as an international student due to the length of being out of the UK and there are different rules for GCSE so I would contact the international department of the University for proper advice. I suspect because your education is in a non English speaking country you will prpbably need to sit Ielts but they will be better able to advise.
Reply 10
you are probably going to class as an international student due to the length of being out of the UK and there are different rules for GCSE so I would contact the international department of the University for proper advice. I suspect because your education is in a non English speaking country you will prpbably need to sit Ielts but they will be better able to advise.

What do you mean non English speaking country? South Africa speaks English predominantly. Qatar I’m taking a british course
What do you mean non English speaking country? South Africa speaks English predominantly. Qatar I’m taking a british course

Qatar isnt an English speaking country and will almost certainly need IELTS but you need to check with the univerities international section as they are best place to give advice taking into account your individual circumstances.
Reply 12
Qatar isnt an English speaking country and will almost certainly need IELTS but you need to check with the univerities international section as they are best place to give advice taking into account your individual circumstances.

I’m not in education in Qatar. It’s an online british course which I’m registered as in South Africa ( I’m only living with my dad in Qatar temporarily) I will be applying to uni from South Africa. Thank you for your help though, I’ll check it out with the university though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending