The Student Room Group

maths help

https://imgur.com/a/1gtnccI
im very confused on why they took away 3f(k) on this quesiton instead of 1, i get that when you take away 3 you can factorise it to be divisible by 5, but what indication is there that you need to take away 3f k? and surely taking away a different amount of f(k)'s gives different answers on its divisibility? I did the question taking away 1 f(k) and got different numbers obviously, but is it still divisible by 5? and if so how can i prove it since i cant factorise it? the solution bank doesnt seem to explain why they are taking away 3f(k). thank you
Original post by Gent2324
im very confused on why they took away 3f(k) on this quesiton instead of 1, i get that when you take away 3 you can factorise it to be divisible by 5, but what indication is there that you need to take away 3f k? and surely taking away a different amount of f(k)'s gives different answers on its divisibility? I did the question taking away 1 f(k) and got different numbers obviously, but is it still divisible by 5? and if so how can i prove it since i cant factorise it? the solution bank doesnt seem to explain why they are taking away 3f(k). thank you

I wouldn't worry about the way they did it.

You could write

8k+13k+1=8×8k3×3k=5×8k+3×8k3×3k=5×8k+3f(k)8^{k+1}-3^{k+1}=8 \times 8^k - 3 \times 3^k = 5 \times 8^k + 3 \times 8^k - 3 \times 3^k = 5 \times 8^k + 3f(k)
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

You could write

8k+13k+1=8×8k3×3k=5×8k+3×8k3×3k=5×8k+3f(k)8^{k+1}-3^{k+1}=8 \times 8^k - 3 \times 3^k = 5 \times 8^k + 3 \times 8^k - 3 \times 3^k = 5 \times 8^k + 3f(k)

umm how did u get to the third equation?

Usually it depends on the expression you want to prove. Here it is f(k)=8n3nf(k) = 8^n -3^n so taking away either 8f(k)8f(k) or 3f(k)3f(k) would help reduce the problem massively for a beginner.

Though of course, you can prove it from f(k+1)f(k)f(k+1) - f(k) as well. There are several way go about it and they are all valid.

Taking 8f(k) away:

Spoiler

Taking 3f(k) away:

Spoiler

Taking f(k)f(k) away:

Spoiler

(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by BuryMathsTutor

You could write

and in the solution bank it says f(k+1) = f(k) + 5(8^k) not plus 3f(k) so im a bit confused on the meaning of it
Original post by RDKGames
Usually it depends on the expression you want to prove. Here it is f(k)=8n3nf(k) = 8^n -3^n so taking away either 8f(k)8f(k) or 3f(k)3f(k) would help reduce the problem massively for a beginner.

Though of course, you can prove it from f(k+1)f(k)f(k+1) - f(k) as well. There are several way go about it and they are all valid.

Taking 8f(k) away:

Spoiler

Taking 3f(k) away:

Spoiler

Taking f(k)f(k) away:

Spoiler

as for the last one is it assumed that 2f(k) is already divisible by 5? so as a general rule, if i have a term factorised by the number (in this case 5), and then + or - a certain amount of f(k) is it always implied that its divisible by said number? (5)
Here's how I'd go about it

We seek to prove that 8^n - 3^n is a multiple of 5 for all natural numbers >= 1

Base Case:
For n = 1, 8^1 - 3^1 = 5, so it's true for n = 1

Inductive Hypothesis:
If this holds true, for n = some k, where k is a natural number.
8^k - 3^k = 5A, where A is some positive integer

Inductive Step:
Now, if this is true for n = k, we seek to prove that it's true for n = k + 1
We should expect something like 8^(k+1) - 3^(k+1) = 5B, where B is some positive integer

Notice how we can break the indices up, so this is 8 * 8^k - 3 * 3^k = 5B

We can substitute an expression for 8^k from our inductive hypothesis above (for n = k)
5A + 3^k = 8^k
Subbing this in

8(5A + 3^k) - 3* 3^k = 5B
40A + 8*3^k - 3* 3^k = 5B
40A + 5*3^k = 5B
To which you can take out the factor of 5 on the LHS
5(8A + 3^k) = 5B

So you've managed to nab that by factorizing the 5, you've shown it holds true for n = k + 1, given that it's true for n = k, and since it's true for n = 1, the base case, blah blah blah induction conclusion.

You can equivalently do this by the f(k+1) - f(k) method since subtraction will leave you with a multiple of 5, as stated above I wouldn't worry about the way they did it because you can get to an equivalent result with other multiples and other methods.
(edited 5 years ago)
and in the solution bank it says f(k+1) = f(k) + 5(8^k) not plus 3f(k) so im a bit confused on the meaning of it

They have a typo.
as for the last one is it assumed that 2f(k) is already divisible by 5? so as a general rule, if i have a term factorised by the number (in this case 5), and then + or - a certain amount of f(k) is it always implied that its divisible by said number? (5)

Your inductive hypothesis is that f(k)f(k) is div. by 5. So yes 2f(k)2f(k) is div. by 5 via this assumption.

There is no general rule, but if that's how you want to approach them, go for it.

At the end of the day, f(k+1)f(k+1) is expressed in terms of some multiple of f(k)f(k) + some multiple of 5.
I.e. f(k+1)=Af(k)+5Bf(k+1) = Af(k) + 5B

So you can subtract/add whatever amount of f(k)f(k) you want to both sides and the divisibility would still hold.
I.e. f(k+1)100f(k)=(A100)f(k)+5Bf(k+1) - 100f(k) = (A-100)f(k) + 5B
f(k+1)+5f(k)=(A+5)f(k)+5Bf(k+1) + 5f(k) = (A+5)f(k) + 5B

Etc... but the ones which reduce your expression nicely are when you pick to subtract 5f(k)5f(k) or 8f(k)8f(k), and in general case for this type of question, when you subtract either 'base' multiple of f(k)f(k).
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest