scatter graph relationship/ dependence problem

Watch
itlstallion69
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I`ll attach a pic of the scatter graph most likely as a reply to this thread. The X variable is along the x axis and is plotted against the Y variable (on y axis). The question gives 3 options as to which are correct: There appears to be a linear relationship between X and Y; there appears to be some sort of relationship between X and Y but it is not linear; there appears to be almost no dependence of X on Y. I think clearly there is no linear relationship (cor. coefficient is 0.005609466), but there kind of seems to be a relationship, Y values seem to gravitate towards, the X axis. But my biggest question is how a scatter graph is able to show dependence of one variable on another? Thanks for any help.
itlstallion69
Rep:
?
scatter graph is here
Attached files
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by itlstallion69)
scatter graph is here
Well, the way that the Y values gravitate towards the X-axis tells you nothing about the X-Y relationship - rather it suggests that the distibution of Y is skew. I would suggest that you looks at the distribution of Y-values and see if it looks like anything you recognize; and then fit a smooth to the X-Y fit, to see what the X-Y relationship is like.
itlstallion69
Rep:
?
(Original post by Gregorius)
Well, the way that the Y values gravitate towards the X-axis tells you nothing about the X-Y relationship - rather it suggests that the distibution of Y is skew. I would suggest that you looks at the distribution of Y-values and see if it looks like anything you recognize; and then fit a smooth to the X-Y fit, to see what the X-Y relationship is like.
So a smooth curve looks like the linear graph y=2, but I`m not sure what this tells you about the variables, for example, does it imply any sort of relationship which is not linear, or can it tell us about the dependence of X on Y? Thanks
Gregorius
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
So a smooth curve looks like the linear graph y=2, but I`m not sure what this tells you about the variables, for example, does it imply any sort of relationship which is not linear, or can it tell us about the dependence of X on Y? Thanks
Then that's telling you that Y is likely to be independent of X - i.e. no relationship between them.
itlstallion69
Rep:
?
The options kind of coincide though, (there appears to be some sort of relationship between X and Y but it is not linear// there is almost no dependence of X on Y).You`re saying there is no dependence and no relationship, which I agree with, but you can`t have neither (since the first option clearly isn`t true).
mqb2766
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
The options kind of coincide though, (there appears to be some sort of relationship between X and Y but it is not linear// there is almost no dependence of X on Y).You`re saying there is no dependence and no relationship, which I agree with, but you can`t have neither (since the first option clearly isn`t true).
I'm not sure what you're concluding, but "there is no dependence and no relationship" appears correct. Nothing else.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (141)
14.29%
I'm not sure (42)
4.26%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (296)
29.99%
I have already dropped out (26)
2.63%
I'm not a current university student (482)
48.83%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise