The Student Room Group

Getting the heck out of my parents house???

I can't bear living in my parents house anymore. I know I'm probably being overdramatic and childish, but bear with me. (Oh, important context, I'm 18).

Being here is sending my mental health downhill and fast. Like, barely trusting myself to stay safe type bad. It isn't like my parents are actively abusive, but every single day I'm having flashbacks off stuff that they did when I was younger and it is draining the life out of me. I've got £2k in savings that I know I'm really fortunate to have, but I don't want to blow it all on staying in B&Bs only for it to eventually run out and have to go back. My parents and I live in the same house but we don't talk to each other at all. I'm having to neglect my health in many ways because I can't tell them anything. I basically come home, shut myself in my room and pretend not to exist until I can go out again to go to college. I'm not allowed out other than that. I don't exactly have any friends either. I'm at college now, but I'm not going to uni next year.

Any advice? The fact I'm even posting this here proves how flipping desperate I am right now.
I'm 20 now, and at uni. I was in a similar position to you too at 18. Best advice is to honestly hang in there until you leave for uni. I know its easier said than done, but definitely do-able. Maintain a cordial relationship with your parents until then. Hopefully the space you'll then get when you're at uni will help mend the relationship between you and your parents (it definitely helped me) and save that £2K for when you're living at uni because you will DEFINITELY need it then. I wasn't allowed out when I was at college either, and as lonely as it made me feel at the time, the freedom at uni makes up for it. Please hang in there. Good luck
Why do you have to neglect your health?

Try and get to the end of your studies and then you canwork or go to uni ands be independent.
Reply 3
I really don't think I'm going to be going to uni. I'm probably not going to fail my A Levels, but it is too much for me to handle. That's always been the plan - just go to uni and get away from here. I'm applying, but it isn't looking likely. I don't even want to go to uni anymore.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending