The Student Room Group

if i gave you £5k for every year you die earlier. how many year would you give up

so let's say you live to 85 and i took away 20 years.
you will live to 65 and get £100k right now.

edit: since no one will accept my previous offer. what about £50K a year.
you live to 85 and i took away 20 years.
you will live to 65 and get £1million right now.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I don't think anyone would give up a month for 5k, let alone a year.
None.....I could earn more than that a year- anyone could. Wouldn't be worth it. Yes I could get 100k now, but work for a few years and then you've made 100k plus kept your life span
Yes please, I would.
I'll give you all the years of my life right now and you wouldn't even have to pay me haha.
(edited 5 years ago)
Sure. Life after 80 is pretty boring and ailing anyway. Wouldn't ever want to be in a position where I have to rely on others to do basic things in life.
Reply 5
Definitely not. Yeah £100,000 would be nice, but I'd die before retirement.
Reply 6
Could I take out 65 years and fly to las vegas and win big and pay for it all back?
I mean what could go wrong?!
Reply 7
Original post by tom123h456

5k is not worth it

If I was to live to 85 ...I might consider giving you 2 years for 40k right now
Original post by tom123h456

If I found out I was gonna end up living to like 100+, sure. If not, which is more than likely, nope.
How broke are you that this sounds like a good deal LOL.
For a change the amount is too low imo. I suppose you might get someone who was depressed and had an unhappy life or someone who desperately needed money, but otherwise cant see many takers. I wonder what amount is the tipping point?
Original post by LostAccount
Sure. Life after 80 is pretty boring and ailing anyway. Wouldn't ever want to be in a position where I have to rely on others to do basic things in life.

80s may be boring in that you've retired and don't have the energy to go out clubbing and partying anymore, but it's the time to be a guide to your kids, grandchildren and great-grandchildren (assuming you have them) and enjoying your remaining years with your significant other chilling or travelling the world.

I'm sure most parents would agree that from time to time, you do need some advice or support from the generation above :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by sherlockfan
Yes please, I would.
I'll give you all the years of my life right now and you wouldn't even have to pay me haha.

Sounds like me.

Just take the deal then you can live life differently and don’t need to be concerned with possible ill-effects in your later years.
(edited 5 years ago)
Conversely, can I pay you to live longer?
Original post by Bio 7
Sounds like me.

Just take the deal then you can live life differently and don’t need to be concerned with possible ill-effects in your later years.

Twist: the op is actually a demon who can grant you this wish lol.
Reply 15

Well lets say I live just to 75.

That's 56 times 5k so I would get 280k. I f I had it the day before I die I could give it to people around me and help them out.

Edit: Don't know why it double quoted but I'm not changing it incase it messes it all up.
(edited 5 years ago)

Giz the 250k and I will party till I am 30.
I'd take 75k to live to 70. Who TF wants to get old anyway, rather enjoy my life more while I'm young. Quality > quantity.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Bio 7
Well lets say I live just to 75.

That's 56 times 5k so I would get 280k. I f I had it the day before I die I could give it to people around me and help them out.

Edit: Don't know why it double quoted but I'm not changing it incase it messes it all up.

Sounds like a good plan to me.
Nah. Life is more than 5k a year lmao, and if I worked hard enough, I can earn and maintain a longer life lmao.

(5k a millisecond though and then we're talking still)

Quick Reply

Latest