crybaby :(
Badges: 8
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
hey is it necessary for the ammonia that reacts with acid chloride to be dry, if so why?
username3249896
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 3 years ago
Yes because an acid chloride hydrolyses in presence of water
RCOCl + H2O - > RCOOH + HCl

so this reaction will interfere with the reaction of ammonia with the acid chloride
Rep:
ohhh alright thank you
Rep:
hey i saw this online is the water not gonna react with the ethanoyl chloride then?
Attached files
Rep:
also can you explain why acid chlorides react in this order of reactivity
Water least reactive
alcohol
amine
ammonia most reactive
username3249896
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by crybaby :()
hey i saw this online is the water not gonna react with the ethanoyl chloride then?
The ammonia is concentrated

A concentrated solution of ammonia consists mostly of ammonia molecules with very little water. So the extent of reaction with water is so low that it can be neglected. For the most part you get ammonia reacting with the acid chloride.

Since there are more ammonia than water molecules, the frequency of successful collisions of ammonia with the acid chloride is much higher than the frequency of successful collisions of water with the acid chloride.

Conclusion:
Water does react with the acid chloride but more ammonia reacts with the acid chloride such that you do get an appreciable amount of desirable product.
username3249896
Rep:
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by crybaby :()
also can you explain why acid chlorides react in this order of reactivity
Water least reactive
alcohol
amine
ammonia most reactive
The strength of nucleophiles increases from water to ammonia

Strength of nucleophiles: water < alcohol < amine < ammonia

The reactivity also has to do with steric hindrance and availability of the lone pair

The reaction mechanism is nucleophilic addition-elimination
Rep:
ohh alryt thank you i really apprceiate it
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Would you give consent for uni's to contact your parent/trusted person in a mental health crisis?

Yes - my parent/carer (66)
33.17%
Yes - a trusted person (54)
27.14%
No (52)
26.13%
I'm not sure (27)
13.57%

Watched Threads