Sharemine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How will you write the cell notation with this method with copper and lead, I am confused because there is no solution involved. And should the volt value be positive or negative

Method:
Suggested method for measuring comparative electrode potentials of different metals

Clean a piece of copper using emery paper or fine grade sandpaper.
Connect the positive terminal of the voltmeter to the copper using a crocodile clip and one of the leads.
Cut a piece of filter paper to about the same area as the copper, moisten the filter paper with the sodium chloride solution and place on top of the copper.
Connect the second lead to the voltmeter and use the crocodile clip on the other end of the lead to grip a piece of another metal.
Hold the metal against the filter paper and note the voltage reading and sign.
Repeat steps (d) and (e) with different metals and record your results in a table.
Write the conventional representation for each of the cells that you have constructed
Last edited by Sharemine; 2 years ago
username3249896
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Cell notation in chemistry is a shorthand way of expressing a certain reaction in an electrochemical cell. The cell anode and cathode (half-cells) are separated by two bars or slashes representing a salt bridge, with the anode on the left and cathode on the right. Individual solid, liquid or aqueous phases within each half-cell are separated by a single bar.

It seems you have sodium chloride as salt bridge.

You should have E cell values to work out the potential
Sharemine
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Yes I know who to construct a cell notation , bu what I am confused about is the fact that in the experiment the metals were all in solid state And the only solution was the salt bridge
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What factors affect your mental health the most right now?

Anxiousness about lockdown easing (155)
4.94%
Uncertainty around my education (461)
14.7%
Uncertainty around my future career prospects (350)
11.16%
Lack of purpose or motivation (437)
13.94%
Lack of support system (eg. teachers, counsellors, delays in care) (148)
4.72%
Impact of lockdown on physical health (188)
6%
Loneliness (270)
8.61%
Financial worries (113)
3.6%
Concern about myself or my loves ones getting/having been ill (126)
4.02%
Exposure to negative news/social media (142)
4.53%
Lack of real life entertainment (171)
5.45%
Lack of confidence in making big life decisions (279)
8.9%
Worry about missed opportunities during the pandemic (295)
9.41%

Watched Threads