The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine Interview Thread - 2019 Entry

Thought I'd finally create this thread for Cambridge Medicine interview holders 2019 entry, as a place to discuss interesting questions and possibly share advice if you wish. Cambridge's interview is known to be very science focused but remember general questions do come up. Treat this not as giving your competitors an advantage as such but just as a place to bring up intriguing discussions which will broaden your understanding of certain topics.

I've tagged some recent users invited to interview but feel free to tag others:

@MateFeher @Jasmine_2001 @choco08 @HeadHoncho @Success_Anyanwu @sb1059 @kursk1896 @Babster71 @chloedoubleyou @achiu @Iksu_51

@Mephistopheles07 you're the real OP for coming up with the idea :smile:

I'll start off with some past questions I've heard of, and you can comment your own or suggest answers for these:
1. Why are people obese?
2. Why is oxygen carried in red blood cells and not dissolved in the blood plasma?
3. Do you think gender dysphoria should be classified as a mental illness?
4. What is the concentration of water?
5. *throws pen across the room* Draw what you just saw.

Other user questions:
1. MateFeher: how does protein structure and shape change in outer space?

Don't post the exact questions you were asked at interview - remember to not break the confidentiality agreement with your college.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hello, and thanks a lot. Some ideas:
1) I’d talk about some sort of metabolic balance between the calories one consumes and the energy exerted through daily activities. I’d discuss the way energy is stored in the form of fat, I’d draw a triglyceride of some sort, as well as a sketch of a fat cell. I’d detail the evolutionary advantage this yields to humans along with other animals. I’d then talk about our modern lives, with processed foods and low activity and sedentary lifestyles and so on and so forth. There’s also a lovely social aspect to discuss here.

2) My only thought at the moment is that O2 doesn’t dissolve too well in water, so cellular carry entails a higher level of efficiency. Also, if your cells carry oxygen instead of it just floating in your plasma, you add a biological component to the purely physical and chemical system that would describe your circulation without RBC’s. Once again, more control, more places for your body to modify oxygen supply as needed. Then there’s the issue of how O2 would cross the cell membrane, this is probably also easier with discrete carrier molecules.

3) I really like this one. I’d start off with the fact that the DSM-V, which is the current edition of what might be called the Bible of psychiatric diagnoses, does classify gender dysphoria as a mental illness. I’d have to think on the spot about what it actually means to say that someone is mentally ill. The standard deviation-from-the-norm approach can’t be applied, imo, to mental illnesses, for a number of reasons. I’d try to formalize a definition of the illness for myself (maybe the interviewers could help). I believe the last time I had to discuss something along these lines I came up with the following definition of mental illness: a mental parameter or condition becomes an “illness” necessitating treatment when and only when this parameter greatly inhibits the patient’s ability to participate in day-to-day activities, or something like that. So, if for example a boy feels like he wants to wear female clothing and feels like a girl and enjoys that social role, but largely leads an acceptable life from a medical pov, then he (or she) is not ill. This does not mean that his pediatrician cannot supply puberty blockers and other such medications! In fact, this ties back beautifully to the concept of gender-confirmation therapy/surgery as opposed to calling it anything else. If, however, a serious case of gender dysphoria also indices major depression and suicidal ideation, then I’d say that person is medically sick and needs professional attention.

4) I’m afraid I don’t understand this, concentration as a physical concept only applies to solutions, by definition.

5) I think this sort of question only exists in legends and myths, à la “draw a cross section of a bicycle wheel”

And a question of my own: how does protein structure and shape change in outer space?
where do people get their interview questions from?
Original post by kursk1896

Google. Plus it’s very easy to come up with them for yourself. Next time you’re thinking about a biological concept, ask yourself why things work the way they do and go as deep as you can, just practicing creating theories and thinking on the spot.
Original post by MateFeher
1) I’d talk about some sort of metabolic balance between the calories one consumes and the energy exerted through daily activities. I’d discuss the way energy is stored in the form of fat, I’d draw a triglyceride of some sort, as well as a sketch of a fat cell. I’d detail the evolutionary advantage this yields to humans along with other animals. I’d then talk about our modern lives, with processed foods and low activity and sedentary lifestyles and so on and so forth. There’s also a lovely social aspect to discuss here.

2) My only thought at the moment is that O2 doesn’t dissolve too well in water, so cellular carry entails a higher level of efficiency. Also, if your cells carry oxygen instead of it just floating in your plasma, you add a biological component to the purely physical and chemical system that would describe your circulation without RBC’s. Once again, more control, more places for your body to modify oxygen supply as needed. Then there’s the issue of how O2 would cross the cell membrane, this is probably also easier with discrete carrier molecules.

3) I really like this one. I’d start off with the fact that the DSM-V, which is the current edition of what might be called the Bible of psychiatric diagnoses, does classify gender dysphoria as a mental illness. I’d have to think on the spot about what it actually means to say that someone is mentally ill. The standard deviation-from-the-norm approach can’t be applied, imo, to mental illnesses, for a number of reasons. I’d try to formalize a definition of the illness for myself (maybe the interviewers could help). I believe the last time I had to discuss something along these lines I came up with the following definition of mental illness: a mental parameter or condition becomes an “illness” necessitating treatment when and only when this parameter greatly inhibits the patient’s ability to participate in day-to-day activities, or something like that. So, if for example a boy feels like he wants to wear female clothing and feels like a girl and enjoys that social role, but largely leads an acceptable life from a medical pov, then he (or she) is not ill. This does not mean that his pediatrician cannot supply puberty blockers and other such medications! In fact, this ties back beautifully to the concept of gender-confirmation therapy/surgery as opposed to calling it anything else. If, however, a serious case of gender dysphoria also indices major depression and suicidal ideation, then I’d say that person is medically sick and needs professional attention.

4) I’m afraid I don’t understand this, concentration as a physical concept only applies to solutions, by definition.

5) I think this sort of question only exists in legends and myths, à la “draw a cross section of a bicycle wheel”

And a question of my own: how does protein structure and shape change in outer space?

Wow! Very impressive answers to 1 and 3!

Regarding question 4, a quick google will tell you that it's 55.5 mol/dm3. This is because c=n/v and the density of water is 1g/mol, therefore in one mole the mass of water would be 18g and take up a volume of 18cm3. 1 mole/0.018 = around 55 mol/dm3
Haven't searched up question 2 but it's something to do with the fact that haemoglobin increases efficiency of oxygen carriage.

Question 5 is actually something a friend at Oxford told me they got asked. A sensible suggestion would be to draw a graph of distance against time, but least don't draw a guy chucking a pen

For your question, I would guess that because of the absence of gravity, proteins would become longer ('you're taller on the moon than earth' saying) but some of this elongation may be offset by the decreased temperature which may cause the primary structure to contract.

to answer your question;
id probably talk about the temperature of space being a lot colder than on the surface of the earth - near absolute zero. this'll definitely impact the shape by causing denaturation. radiation/charged particles from solar wind might interfere with ionic attractions present in the secondary structure of a protein, so this'll also impact the overall quaternary structure of a protein. not to mention the vacuum could cause proteins to change shape because of a change in pressure.
Original post by chickenwing2291
Wow! Very impressive answers to 1 and 3!

Regarding question 4, a quick google will tell you that it's 55.5 mol/dm3. This is because c=n/v and the density of water is 1g/mol, therefore in one mole the mass of water would be 18g and take up a volume of 18cm3. 1 mole/0.018 = around 55 mol/dm3
Haven't searched up question 2 but it's something to do with the fact that haemoglobin increases efficiency of oxygen carriage.

Question 5 is actually something a friend at Oxford told me they got asked. A sensible suggestion would be to draw a graph of distance against time, but least don't draw a guy chucking a pen

For your question, I would guess that because of the absence of gravity, proteins would become longer ('you're taller on the moon than earth' saying) but some of this elongation may be offset by the decreased temperature which may cause the primary structure to contract.

Right, you’re totally right about the concentration one, silly me lol. Getting late here haha

In terms of proteins- what does extreme temperature do to proteins?
Original post by kursk1896

to answer your question;
id probably talk about the temperature of space being a lot colder than on the surface of the earth - near absolute zero. this'll definitely impact the shape by causing denaturation. radiation/charged particles from solar wind might interfere with ionic attractions present in the secondary structure of a protein, so this'll also impact the overall quaternary structure of a protein. not to mention the vacuum could cause proteins to change shape because of a change in pressure.

Very nicely done, I actually didn’t consider the radiation when I thought about it for the first time.
Right, you’re totally right about the concentration one, silly me lol. Getting late here haha

In terms of proteins- what does extreme temperature do to proteins?

Couldn't think of why extreme cold would affect bonds in polypeptide chains. Googled it and "Cold denaturation leads to partial unfolding of the polypeptide chain, and is a result of change in interaction between water and hydrophobic groups." So I gather the denaturation is more due to the freezing of water rather than it affecting intermolecular interactions within the chain. Interesting :O

But then this nullifies the whole concept of cryogenics so not sure how that would work.
(edited 5 years ago)
Couldn't think of why extreme cold would affect bonds in polypeptide chains. Googled it and "Cold denaturation leads to partial unfolding of the polypeptide chain, and is a result of change in interaction between water and hydrophobic groups." So I gather the denaturation is more due to the freezing of water rather than it affecting intermolecular interactions within the chain. Interesting :O

That’s interesting, I’d definitely assume denaturation happens. However we DO typically discuss proteins only under aqueous circumstances, which this isn’t. I have something to think about now!
That’s interesting, I’d definitely assume denaturation happens. However we DO typically discuss proteins only under aqueous circumstances, which this isn’t. I have something to think about now!

Well the body would be an aqueous environment since we are 70% water.

I researched how cryogenics worked if cold denaturation existed. Thought you might be interested to know: "you can freeze store proteins is that if you rapidly freeze a protein (as is common in the lab) at a very low temperature you 'vitrify' it. This can restrict its mobility and its ability to form non-native interactions. One of the reasons it's not recommended to freeze proteins by just putting them in the freezer and letting them slowly freeze is that water will freeze before protein causing a receding volume into which your protein is solubilised."

Basically, the effect also depends on the speed at which temperature decrease happens. Nice question, explores a lot of fundamental areas!
1) I would draw your attention to the fact that obesity has many causal relationships and as a future doctor you need to understand about the social determinants of health: http://www.shiftn.com/obesity/Full-Map.html The calorific model (calories in = calories out) model does not take into account food insecurity (quality - access - nutrient density / paucity) is reductionist in thinking. The obesity crisis is function of poor public health nutrition policy and is not evidenced based, and if doctors are going to move forward with stemming or reducing the epidemic then lifestyle medicine needs to be supported. 3) gender is a social construction - and no - it should not be medicalised. While there are biological reasons for why gender dysmorphia exists (higher oestrogen but is not expressed chromosome) and there are associated depression and anxiety that comes with gender identification, the 'condition' should be accepted and not medicalised
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 12
Thought I'd finally create this thread for Cambridge Medicine interview holders 2019 entry, as a place to discuss interesting questions and possibly share advice if you wish.

I've dropped a redirect link to this thread from the Medical Schools forum too :smile:
Original post by Doonesbury
I've dropped a redirect link to this thread from the Medical Schools forum too :smile:

Cheers
Further ones that might or might not be useful:

Medicine (Oxford & Cambridge Interview Questions)
What makes a good doctor? (Submitted by Oxford interview applicant)
What keeps you awake at night? (submitted by Oxford interview applicant)
Why are manholes round? (New Media Medicine)
I got shown a drawing of nerves from them ear to the auditory centre and asked to explain why it was like that. (New Media Medicine)
So how good are your teachers at school then? (New Media Medicine)
How would you measure the weight of your own head? (molivam42's weblog)
How would you poison someone without the police finding out? (molivam42's weblog)
Why does your heart rate increase when you exercise? (Oxford University Website)
Why is it a disadvantage for humans to have two legs? (molivam42's weblog)
If I were a grapefruit, would I rather be seedless or non-seedless? (molivam42's weblog)
Given a skull: what animal is this, describe the teeth and why they are like that etc. (New Media Medicine)
Describe what happens when a neuron is excited and the action potential that follows. (New Media Medicine)
Draw a graph to illustrate learning against time/ stage in life. (New Media Medicine)
Draw a cross section of a bicycle wheel. (New Media Medicine)
Draw another one. (New Media Medicine)
Show what happens to the membrane potential of an animal cell when put in different solutions. (New Media Medicine)
What do you think of the state of the NHS? What would you do to improve it? (New Media Medicine)
What did you learn from your work experience? (New Media Medicine)
What's the greatest medical innovation this century? (New Media Medicine)
What do you like most about the brain? (Oxbridge Applications)
How would you describe a human to a person from Mars? (Oxbridge Applications)
Should someone sell their kidney? (Oxbridge Applications)
How would you simulate altitude in your living room? (Oxbridge Applications)
Can you describe an experiment to differentiate between a normal and a multi-resistant strain of bacteria? (Oxbridge Applications)
How would you determine whether leukaemia patients have contracted the disease because of a nearby nuclear power station? (Oxbridge Applications)
What is a tree? (Oxbridge Applications)
Why does your heart rate increase when you exercise? (Oxford University website)
Why do we have red blood cells? (Oxford University website)
At what point is a person "dead"? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview questions)
before my interview, when I got to the interview room 10 minutes early, the door was locked and there was a note to candidates instructing them to enter the room and sit beside the chymograph! I thought it was a test and a part of the interview (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how can reindeer tell the difference between spring and autumn? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how is a city like a cell? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how many genes are there in the genome of a rice plant? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how would you design a better brain (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
if I was given a magic wand and I could eradicate all third world problems but would have to stop all medical research and development, would I do it? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
If urine was emptied into the intestine instead of the bladder, what would happen? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
if you are in a boat in a lake and throw a stone out of the boat, what happens to the level of the water? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
if you could invite any 2 people alive or dead to a dinner party, who would they be and why (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
what does the letter b stand for in b-lymphocyte? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
What is your opinion on spontanteneous human combustion? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
Why don't we just have one ear in the middle of our face (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
I’m going to play devil's advocate. how do these prions actually affect the brain (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
calculate what volume of wine can be drunk to reach the legal concentration of alcohol in the blood for driving (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how does the body try to remove or recognise poison? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how many moles of h2o is there in that cup of water? (tutor randomly pointed at his cup on the table) (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how many people believe in evolution in the united states? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how would I solve the aids crisis in south Africa (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how would you design an experiment to disprove the existence of god (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
what leaves you drier if it's raining: running or walking? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
why can you not see many stars when you stand on top of a mountain? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
Original post by Mephistopheles07

I got shown a drawing of nerves from them ear to the auditory centre and asked to explain why it was like that. (New Media Medicine)
How would you poison someone without the police finding out? (molivam42's weblog)
Why does your heart rate increase when you exercise? (Oxford University Website)
If I were a grapefruit, would I rather be seedless or non-seedless? (molivam42's weblog)
Given a skull: what animal is this, describe the teeth and why they are like that etc. (New Media Medicine)
Describe what happens when a neuron is excited and the action potential that follows. (New Media Medicine)
Draw a graph to illustrate learning against time/ stage in life. (New Media Medicine)
Show what happens to the membrane potential of an animal cell when put in different solutions. (New Media Medicine)
What do you think of the state of the NHS? What would you do to improve it? (New Media Medicine)
Can you describe an experiment to differentiate between a normal and a multi-resistant strain of bacteria? (Oxbridge Applications)
How would you determine whether leukaemia patients have contracted the disease because of a nearby nuclear power station? (Oxbridge Applications)
Why does your heart rate increase when you exercise? (Oxford University website)
At what point is a person "dead"? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview questions)
before my interview, when I got to the interview room 10 minutes early, the door was locked and there was a note to candidates instructing them to enter the room and sit beside the chymograph! I thought it was a test and a part of the interview (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how can reindeer tell the difference between spring and autumn? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how many genes are there in the genome of a rice plant? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
how would you design a better brain (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
if I was given a magic wand and I could eradicate all third world problems but would have to stop all medical research and development, would I do it? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
If urine was emptied into the intestine instead of the bladder, what would happen? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
if you are in a boat in a lake and throw a stone out of the boat, what happens to the level of the water? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
if you could invite any 2 people alive or dead to a dinner party, who would they be and why (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
what does the letter b stand for in b-lymphocyte? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
What is your opinion on spontanteneous human combustion? (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
Why don't we just have one ear in the middle of our face (Cambridge interview, Oxbridge Interview Questions)
I’m going to play devil's advocate. how do these prions actually affect the brain (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
calculate what volume of wine can be drunk to reach the legal concentration of alcohol in the blood for driving (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how does the body try to remove or recognise poison? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how many moles of h2o is there in that cup of water? (tutor randomly pointed at his cup on the table) (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how many people believe in evolution in the united states? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how would I solve the aids crisis in south Africa (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
how would you design an experiment to disprove the existence of god (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
what leaves you drier if it's raining: running or walking? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)
why can you not see many stars when you stand on top of a mountain? (Oxford, Oxbridge Applications)

Saw this online too! I think it's a good starting point for ideas.
Reply 16

This is very useful! Thanks
Does anyone know whether the academic questions are strictly Biology and Chemistry-related or if we’ve put in our SAQ that we’re also doing A-Levels in Physics and Further Maths for instance, can we also be asked questions from the topics in those subjects? Or does it change from college to college?
Also, can they only ask questions from the content we’ve already covered— as we’ve stated in our SAQ— or can they ask questions from all of the A- Level syllabus? Trinity for example says on their website that the candidates should be prepared for questions from their entire syllabus...
Reply 18
Does anyone know whether the academic questions are strictly Biology and Chemistry-related or if we’ve put in our SAQ that we’re also doing A-Levels in Physics and Further Maths for instance, can we also be asked questions from the topics in those subjects? Or does it change from college to college?
Also, can they only ask questions from the content we’ve already covered— as we’ve stated in our SAQ— or can they ask questions from all of the A- Level syllabus? Trinity for example says on their website that the candidates should be prepared for questions from their entire syllabus...

*Anything* in your SAQ/UCAS is potentially up for grabs, but it won't be the focus of an interview.
Will we be asked questions related to our GCSEs even if you no longer take it at a level e.g. physics?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending