The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Durham Law Applicants 2019

Hey everyone,

As most law applicants still seem to be waiting for an offer from Durham, I thought I’d make a thread for us.

Perhaps it would be good to introduce ourselves?

GCSEs:
A-level subjects:
AS-levels (if applicable):
A-level/IB predictions:
When you applied:
What college:
Other universities you applied for:
Firm/Insurance:

For me-
GCSEs: 987, 1 A*, 5 As
A-level subjects: English Lit, History, Government and Politics
AS-levels: ABB
A-level predictions: A*A*A
When you applied: 12/10/18, LNAT on the 17/10/18
What college: St Cuthbert’s
Other universities you applied for: Oxford (rejected pre-interview lol), Exeter (offer), Bristol (offer), Nottingham (offer)
Firm/Insurance: Durham will be my firm if I get an offer, not sure on insurance but it might be Bristol

Edit: offer on 4/1/19, AAA
Edit: 25 on LNAT
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

That’s for starting this thread.

Scottish State school applicant.

N.B β€˜A’ is the highest grade in Sottish qualifications (no A*)

Nat 5s AAAAAA (like GCSEs but taken a year earlier)
Highers AAAAAB

Advanced Higher predictions AAA [Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies, Modern Studies (like Politics) , Music)

Applied 28/10/18
College: St Mary’s

Other Universities: Oxford [Trinity] interview 5/12/18, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Aberdeen (unconditional offer)
First choice Oxford, followed by Edinburgh or Durham.
(edited 5 years ago)
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
UK applicant here

GCSES: 1A*, 8A
A-Levels- English Literature, History, Geography, Politics
Predictions- a*aaa
applied: 8/10/18, LNAT on 18/10/18
College: St Mary's
Firm: Durham, Insurance York
Thanks for making this thread !

I’m an EU applicant (France).

GCSEs: we don’t have them in france so n/a
A-level subjects: we take more than 3 in France, so history geography Latin german English french PE as well as further maths, further chemistry, further physics and further biology
AS-levels (if applicable): n/a
A-level/IB predictions: A*A*A*A*
When you applied: 14.10.18
What college: University
Other universities you applied for: Cambridge (rejected pre-interview lol), UCL (rejected because of my LNAT essay), KCL (A*AA offer), QMUL (AAA offer)
Firm/Insurance: : Probably KCL as firm and Durham as insurance
(edited 5 years ago)
GCSEs: 974BBCCDDDF
A-level subjects: CTEC Business, English Literature, Government and Politics
AS-levels (if applicable): Didn't do AS but I got DBC (equivalent to ABC)
A-level/IB predictions: D*AA
When you applied: 17/10/18 LNAT taken 4/10/18
What college: I was torn St Cuthbert's, Castle and Hilde Bede. After a long talk with Jack Edwards, i ended up going for St Cuthbert's
Other universities you applied for: Sheffield (offer for Law with Chinese law), Liverpool (offer for Law with a Year Abroad), Newcastle (offer for Law), NCH (interview on 28/11/18), Bristol (on hold) and Oxford (haven't sent in my application yet)
Firm/Insurance: Durham has always been number one for me. If i get an offer from all my unis I'd firm Durham. I have all my offers back from all the contenders for an insurance choice and I'm leaning towards Sheffield.
Also waiting for Durham law. Pretty worried ngl!
GCSEs: 11A*s
A-level subjects: Latin, History, English (Scottish AH)
AS-levels (if applicable): 6As at Scottish Higher
When you applied: beginning of October and did my LNAT around the same time
Other universities you applied for: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. I’ve got an interview at Cam and an Edi unconditional.
Firm/Insurance: Not sure yet: Cambridge if I get it but I likely won’t. Probably Glasgow as a hopeful second choice.

Do you think we’ll hear before Christmas?
Original post by Anti-loquax
Other universities you applied for: Cambridge, Edinburgh, Glasgow and Aberdeen. I’ve got an interview at Cam and an Edi unconditional.
Firm/Insurance: Not sure yet: Cambridge if I get it but I likely won’t. Probably Glasgow as a hopeful second choice.

I'd assume you hear between christmas and early February since college allocations at Durham starts in Febuary 2019. College allocation started on the 5th of Febuary for this year's intake.
Realising that we could hear back next month is actually scary as hell

if this helped at all I checked last years thread and the earliest offer was the 28/11 and some people got offers like a week and a half after

Congrats on your stats and unconditional offer from Edinburgh.

I am also Scottish and applied to Edinburgh on 10/10 but have not heard back yet which has been stressing me out.

I have 6As at Nat 5 (most my mediocre state school offered) and 5As and a B at Higher. Predicted AAA at Advanced Higher.

Also a great PS, lots of super curricular activities and a fab school reference (good enough for Oxford interview anyway) . I was really hoping for an Edinburgh offer by now.

Can you please let me know when you applied to Edinburgh and also whether your name is top of the alphabet I have heard they might look at applications alphabetically (or maybe I’m clutching at straws!).

I’ve applied to Oxford (interview), Durham, Glasgow, Ecinburgh and Aberdeen (unconditional)

Many thanks.
(edited 5 years ago)
Hi,
GCSEs: 4 A*, 5A, 3B
AS: Geography A
A levels: History, Gvt & Politics, Maths
Predictions: A*A*A + A* in EPQ
Applied on 08/10/18 LNAT done on 14/01/18
College: University
Other Choices: Oxford (rejected pre-interview), Nottingham (offer), Lancaster (offer), York (offer)
Hopefully Durham will be firm and Nottingham insurance.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Yoshi12345
Congrats on your stats and unconditional offer from Edinburgh.

I am also Scottish and applied to Edinburgh on 10/10 but have not heard back yet which has been stressing me out.

I have 6As at Nat 5 (most my mediocre state school offered) and 5As and a B at Higher. Predicted AAA at Advanced Higher.

Also a great PS, lots of super curricular activities and a fab school reference (good enough for Oxford interview anyway) . I was really hoping for an Edinburgh offer by now.

Can you please let me know when you applied to Edinburgh and also whether your name is top of the alphabet I have heard they might look at applications alphabetically (or maybe I’m clutching at straws!).

I’ve applied to Oxford (interview), Durham, Glasgow, Ecinburgh and Aberdeen (unconditional)

Many thanks.

Good uni choices! Nice to see another Scottish applicant :smile:

I've just checked and I applied on the 4/10 to all my unis. My Edi offer came through on the 9/11. I'm probably top-middle of the alphabet, if that helps, however, I wouldn't worry at all about Edinburgh. I was told last year that if I exceeded 5As - and you have - they'd give an offer pretty much regardless of anything else. Hopefully you'll get your Edi offer through soon and I'll get my Aberdeen one, too! Best of luck for your Oxford interview as well.
Original post by Kevin Fahmy
if this helped at all I checked last years thread and the earliest offer was the 28/11 and some people got offers like a week and a half after

Thanks! Hopefully we might see some offers soonish then
GCSEs: 10 - 7A*s, 1A, 1B, 1C
A-level subjects: I was in hospital for 2 years so didn’t do any. Wish I did, it would have made applying for uni so much easier! I’m now a mature applicant with Open University credits in Latin and humanities
When you applied: 23/9
What college: St Chad’s
Other universities you applied for: York (interview 4/12), UCL, Warwick, Cambridge (rejected pre-interview), Glasgow (rejected)
Firm/Insurance: (if I’m lucky!) Durham firm, then York but I’d be astonished and delighted if anybody took me

Good luck to all! If there are any other mature students lurking, I’d love to chat!
(edited 5 years ago)
Good uni choices! Nice to see another Scottish applicant :smile:

I've just checked and I applied on the 4/10 to all my unis. My Edi offer came through on the 9/11. I'm probably top-middle of the alphabet, if that helps, however, I wouldn't worry at all about Edinburgh. I was told last year that if I exceeded 5As - and you have - they'd give an offer pretty much regardless of anything else. Hopefully you'll get your Edi offer through soon and I'll get my Aberdeen one, too! Best of luck for your Oxford interview as well.

Thank you for your reply and reassurance.

May I ask what draws you to Glasgow rather than Edinburgh? I’m leaning towards Edinburgh myself.

Good luck with all your applications. 😊
GCSEs: 1 A*, 4 As, 5Bs (but with extenuating circumstances)
A-level subjects: English lit, History and Sociology
Applied: 14/10/18, LNAT on 24/11/18
Other unis applied to: Cambridge (interview 5/12/18), York (interview 11/12/18), Nottingham (offer), Lancaster (offer)
Firm/insurance: Cambridge (if by some miracle I get an offer), then either Durham or York
Original post by Isabellab01
Other unis applied to: Cambridge (interview 5/12/18), York (interview 11/12/18), Nottingham (offer), Lancaster (offer)
Firm/insurance: Cambridge (if by some miracle I get an offer), then either Durham or York

Hi everyone,
It's probably none of my business but I'm slightly concerned that it looks like some of you are thinking of putting universities which require the same grades for both your firm and insurance choice (unless you have received contextual offers). But maybe I have misunderstood. Just to let you know that I asked Durham at the open day if they take students who do not get the required grades (usually A*AA) and they said that they haven't been able to for the last 4 years. So if you do not make it into your firm choice because you have not achieved your grades it is highly unlikely that Durham will take you as an insurance choice. I don't know about Bristol but their usual offer is A*AA too.

My son received an offer of A*AA from Durham for Law a few days ago.
Original post by Nosy Mum 1
Hi everyone,
It's probably none of my business but I'm slightly concerned that it looks like some of you are thinking of putting universities which require the same grades for both your firm and insurance choice (unless you have received contextual offers). But maybe I have misunderstood. Just to let you know that I asked Durham at the open day if they take students who do not get the required grades (usually A*AA) and they said that they haven't been able to for the last 4 years. So if you do not make it into your firm choice because you have not achieved your grades it is highly unlikely that Durham will take you as an insurance choice. I don't know about Bristol but their usual offer is A*AA too.

My son received an offer of A*AA from Durham for Law a few days ago.

thank you so much for your advice I will definitely take it on board. Also contractions on your son's offer!
Is he a UK home applicant and do you know the exact date he got an offer? I am sorry for sounding nosy I am just waiting for a reply from Durham.
Reply 18
GCSEs: 8, A*, A*, 7, 7, A, A, A, B, B
A-level subjects: Geography, Biology & Economics
A-level/IB predictions: A*AA
When you applied: 15th October
What college: Collingwood
Other universities you applied for: Cambridge (interview 4/12), LSE, Leeds (offer received) & York.
Firm/Insurance: Cambridge & Durham (if all goes well)
Original post by Isabellab01

Out of interest, why York over Nottingham, I thought Nottingham has the better law school.

Quick Reply