Just a final year student asking for some location and course advice :) Watch

blah001
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year PR student in Manchester and I'm preparing to apply to a few unis (I'm thinking of studying journalism). I've picked a few places - UEA, Uni of Sussex, Uni of Kent, Uni of Bournemouth, Uni of Lincoln, Solent, Winchester and Edinburgh Napier (a lot, I know).

I'm trying to narrow down my choices, so I'll be very thankful to anyone who shares any experience they have with the unis mentioned above, what the life in those cities is etc I tried looking up opinions online but unfortunately, there aren't very journalism related.

I really liked Winchester and Lincoln but as I've been in Manchester for three years now I worry I might feel a bit down in a small city/town. But then again I value peacefulness Thanks to everyone who will reply!
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by blah001)
Hi everyone,

I'm a final year PR student in Manchester and I'm preparing to apply to a few unis (I'm thinking of studying journalism). I've picked a few places - UEA, Uni of Sussex, Uni of Kent, Uni of Bournemouth, Uni of Lincoln, Solent, Winchester and Edinburgh Napier (a lot, I know).

I'm trying to narrow down my choices, so I'll be very thankful to anyone who shares any experience they have with the unis mentioned above, what the life in those cities is etc I tried looking up opinions online but unfortunately, there aren't very journalism related.

I really liked Winchester and Lincoln but as I've been in Manchester for three years now I worry I might feel a bit down in a small city/town. But then again I value peacefulness Thanks to everyone who will reply!
Hello there

We may be a little bias, but we can’t deny that UEA is absolutely brilliant! We're currently 14th in the Complete University Guide League Table 2019 and have an 89% student satisfaction rating. https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...k/east-anglia/

I graduated from UEA back in July having studied Media for four years and now I'm doing an internship here! From what I have heard, the journalism MA is really good. In terms of Norwich as a city and somewhere to live, it's great! I've actually lived in Norfolk my whole life (so perhaps again a little bias) but it's a lovely sized city with plenty going on and a great selection of shops - both independent and chains. Not only that but the countryside and coast is just on our doorstep which is lovely.

Please let me know if there's anything else you would like to know!
Heidi
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

Focus on the course structure and what you will be taught. Also look at things like where grads end up and links with industry.
blah001
Rep:
?
(Original post by University of East Anglia)
Hello there

We may be a little bias, but we can’t deny that UEA is absolutely brilliant! We're currently 14th in the Complete University Guide League Table 2019 and have an 89% student satisfaction rating. https://www.thecompleteuniversitygui...k/east-anglia/

I graduated from UEA back in July having studied Media for four years and now I'm doing an internship here! From what I have heard, the journalism MA is really good. In terms of Norwich as a city and somewhere to live, it's great! I've actually lived in Norfolk my whole life (so perhaps again a little bias) but it's a lovely sized city with plenty going on and a great selection of shops - both independent and chains. Not only that but the countryside and coast is just on our doorstep which is lovely.

Please let me know if there's anything else you would like to know!
Heidi
Thank you for your reply Heidi, can you tell me a bit more about the city’s transport links to the airport? I won’t be traveling THAT much, maybe 2-3 times a year but getting to the airport and taxi prices matters to me. Thanks again
University of East Anglia
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you for your reply Heidi, can you tell me a bit more about the city’s transport links to the airport? I won’t be traveling THAT much, maybe 2-3 times a year but getting to the airport and taxi prices matters to me. Thanks again
Sure

There are very frequent buses to and from Norwich airport which you can catch either from the city centre or on UEA campus. The airport is around half an hour away from campus and 15 minutes from the bus station in Norwich. It's quite handy :grin:

Hope that answers your question,
Heidi
Duncan2012
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
You have bizarre priorities.
blah001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
You have bizarre priorities.
I’m not from the UK but I still want to see my family for holidays like Christmas, what’s wrong with asking about the airport links?
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m not from the UK but I still want to see my family for holidays like Christmas, what’s wrong with asking about the airport links?
Because you can easily google it.
Because it's only 2-3 times per year it's relatively insignificant.
Because you should be basing your decision upon better criteria (course, modules, future prospects etc).
blah001
Rep:
?
(Original post by Duncan2012)
Because you can easily google it.
Because it's only 2-3 times per year it's relatively insignificant.
Because you should be basing your decision upon better criteria (course, modules, future prospects etc).
Absolutely, hence why I asked for some course-related opinions in the post, because I haven’t been able to find many

I’m sorry if my airport question sounded stupid to you but I think there was no need for that comment
Duncan2012
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I’m sorry if my airport question sounded stupid to you but I think there was no need for that comment
Which comment? The fact that you homed in on asking about airport links rather than the course/uni/city information Heidi posted was bizarre.

But I'm not here to argue with you so I wish you luck making your decisions and in whatever you do next.
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi everyone,

Hi, firstly I would definitely recommend taking the time to visit each of these towns/cities, perhaps during a Uni open day to make sure the location is right for you as well as the course. With regards to Bournemouth, it's amazing here and the facilities at the university are only getting better (we are building lots of exciting new buildings with state of the art facilities).

Bournemouth in general though has a bit of everything, of course there is the beach, when the weather isn't quite so wet that makes for an amazing place to have a BBQ! We're only 2 hours away from London on the train and we have our own airport which is only around 10 miles away from the uni, with more options available from Southampton airport around 35 miles away. We are only a short journey away from the New Forest and are on the Jurassic coast which is great for some walks. The town centre is really vibrant and has a great nightlife with loads of bars, clubs and restaurants and we also have a lot of highstreet stores with an out of town shopping centre just 5 miles away. There are also LOADS of clubs and activities to join from the boat club to the wine society!

I hope that helps, if you have any more questions about Bournemouth please ask. I'd certainly recommend that visit though!

Best of luck.

Vicki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Hertfordshire
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Ravensbourne University London
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 22 Feb '20
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (317)
65.77%
No (165)
34.23%

Watched Threads