The Student Room Group

Student exemption certificate

I am a second year uni student living in the halls of residence. My mum who is living back in my home town believes that she can get a reduction in tax via something called a student exemption certificate. Is it possible to get one in my situation since I don't live with her?
Original post by xmagdaa123x
I am a second year uni student living in the halls of residence. My mum who is living back in my home town believes that she can get a reduction in tax via something called a student exemption certificate. Is it possible to get one in my situation since I don't live with her?

It’s a bit of a weird one - as students often spend holidays etc at home they’re generally considered as having 2 addresses (home & term time). So if it’s just your mum at home, either she’s eligible for a single occupier discount because it’s just her, or if they consider you both still live there then she’s eligible as you’re “discounted” for council tax purposes as a full time student.

My mum got a single occupier discount throughout my time at uni but I didn’t have to do anything as council tax is based on adults in the home and I went to uni straight after A Levels so she just had to say I was a student. However when I moved back home a couple of years after graduation and then started a new course, I had to get evidence from my uni so she could submit for a discount based on me being a student.

I’d recommend your mum contact her local council. They can tell her if you’d be counted as also being resident at home. If you are, you should easily be able to get a letter from your uni so she can apply for the discount.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending