maths Watch

sweetss
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 months ago
i am currently working at a grade 2 in maths and have five months until my GCSE's start any tips to help me get better
begbie68
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
Yes.

Make sure you KNOW your tables from 2 to 12.
Make sure you know your bonds : 10, 100 & 1000

This should take you a couple of weeks while you're doing other maths-related things.
Being competent and confident with these basics will improve your speed & accuracy for when you attack most topics you are required to handle.

Can you effectively +, - , x & divide 2- and 3-digit numbers. Including numbers which involve decimals.

Next topics are
areas of basic shapes - know the formulas and try to understand for example "why IS the area of a rectangle length x width?"

fractions: what are they. how to +, -, x and divide fractions. Also find a fraction of an amount.

Fractions, Decimals, Percentages. Can you convert between them.

Several types of questions involving percentages of amounts. Can you handle all of the questions you need to handle?

Ratio. What is it. Can you handle the various types of question on ratio?

There you go. That should keep you busy until January. Doing a little, often is seen as the best way to improve maths. Probably 30-50 mins per day. On top of lessons at school. And that means find questions, with answers, and maybe worked solutions, too. Plenty of places on the web. DO the questions. Lots of them.

If you can get to grips with all of those topics I've listed, I reckon that could be a Grade 4, maybe even a Grade 5 at GCSE.
entertainmyfaith
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 months ago
do practice papers, but get a skills workbook or something first to make sure you can confidently do all the skills required for maths to get you to a passing grade- i presume you're doing foundation? cgp do an exam practice workbook and a workbook (for skills) would really recommend them along with revision guide of course:yes:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Solent University
    Postgraduate and Professional Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Mon, 25 Mar '19
  • Cardiff University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19
  • University of Portsmouth
    Postgraduate and Part-Time Open Evenings Postgraduate
    Wed, 27 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (161)
18.57%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (86)
9.92%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (145)
16.72%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (124)
14.3%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (84)
9.69%
How can I be the best version of myself? (267)
30.8%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed