RogerOxon
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Do you accept the Quran as perfect?
Anonymous #1
Report 11 months ago
I personally have a problem with Islam because I know that 70% (rough estimate) of the entire Muslim population in the world want me dead due to my sexually. Yet people expect me to be happy with them? Hm
Khalid_
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
Do you accept the Quran as perfect?
Yes it is.
RogerOxon
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by Khalid_)
Yes it is.
No. It gets scientific facts wrong.
Motorcate
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
have you ever broke a Muslim rule? i don't know what they are called but similar to the ten commandments
Tootles
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
I can't accept the notion of a modern Muslim woman, because the two terms are mutually exclusive. That's like saying you're a capitalist and also a slave. My question: what gives you the impression that it is possible to be a "modern Muslim" woman?
Last edited by Tootles; 11 months ago
bubblecat
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Sexual orientation isn’t a choice, just to point that out. What’s your own view on LGBTQ people/relationships? I’m assuming you can form your own opinions...
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Do you not think it’s a bit... ridiculous to suggest that people being attacked by a religious belief should respect said belief? E.g. do you think a homosexual man should respect the belief that he’s a sinner/going to hell etc? Because that’s kind of one sided, as the belief itself is not respectful.
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Oh I’m fully aware of that and I am against all religions that spew discrimination (so, basically all of them). It feels like you’ve avoided my point by playing the “we aren’t the only bad ones!” card as if it justifies it. So is the discrimination Islam preaches acceptable because other religions are also discriminatory? It’s just you said you accept the religion/holy book as being 100% perfect meaning you clearly don’t have any issue with these teachings...

I also feel as if religions and religious people constantly demand respect from people, yet they don’t respect anyone? “You must respect my religion, even if I say you’re going to hell for being gay or for having abortions you have to respect my beliefs!” It’s a bit.... Dodgy? They seem to think they can say anything they want and there wont be consequences (hence all the wars and stuff) how far do you agree with this? And why do you think religious people think this is acceptable?
ibyghee
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by RogerOxon)
No. It gets scientific facts wrong.
There are no such things as scientific facts Cx Only theories and theorems.
Anonymous #2
Report 11 months ago
So your argument here is - "yes, what we are doing is wrong but we aren't the only ones doing it, so don't just fault us." ?

Do you also acknowledge the difference between respecting the religion and respecting the person following it? i.e. difference between Islam and Muslims? Because if any belief system, be it anyone's not only yours, condones or advocates any form of discrimination, I can't respect that .
On the other hand, I would still respect the person practising the religion and any form of disrepect they would receive from me would be based on their choices and not their religion. which follows, if a person believes that the LGBT community is a bunch of sinners, I am disrepecting the person based on this absurd belief he has irrespective of that person's religion.
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by bubblecat)
Oh I’m fully aware of that and I am against all religions that spew discrimination (so, basically all of them). It feels like you’ve avoided my point by playing the “we aren’t the only bad ones!” card as if it justifies it. So is the discrimination Islam preaches acceptable because other religions are also discriminatory? It’s just you said you accept the religion/holy book as being 100% perfect meaning you clearly don’t have any issue with these teachings...

I also feel as if religions and religious people constantly demand respect from people, yet they don’t respect anyone? “You must respect my religion, even if I say you’re going to hell for being gay or for having abortions you have to respect my beliefs!” It’s a bit.... Dodgy? They seem to think they can say anything they want and there wont be consequences (hence all the wars and stuff) how far do you agree with this? And why do you think religious people think this is acceptable?
It's not like we don't respect gays or whatever. We respect them but we just don't agree with them. Like a gay can disagree with me, I'd be fine with it. But it just comes to a point where you should show a little respect eg. not just swearing or insulting Islam because you just hate it.
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ibyghee)
It's not like we don't respect gays or whatever. We respect them but we just don't agree with them. Like a gay can disagree with me, I'd be fine with it. But it just comes to a point where you should show a little respect eg. not just swearing or insulting Islam because you just hate it.
Offhandedly calling them “gays” shows what little respect you have.

My point is, the belief is not respectful. You saying respect is not insulting Islam, when the beliefs of Islam are very insulting? Saying someones a sinner and going to hell is pretty insulting if you ask me. So why am I not allowed to insult Islam if Islam insults others with its teachings? Why don’t religious people understand respect is a two way street?
Anonymous #3
Report 11 months ago
From a muslim (not modern). Here is the reality of everyone in the world as we believe it. We are kind to others but if you cannot accept muslim views then fine. In the world we live in there are a lot of different opinions on everyything. The fact hat she has her own while you have yours is just correct. should you want to know the truth in islam there you go its never going to change. Whilst when it is not from a religion and you are atheist your views will always change. In the next 50 years the modern world will actually have more strange views if anything YClearly her facts annoy you.
ibyghee
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by bubblecat)
Offhandedly calling them “gays” shows what little respect you have.

My point is, the belief is not respectful. You saying respect is not insulting Islam, when the beliefs of Islam are very insulting? Saying someones a sinner and going to hell is pretty insulting if you ask me. So why am I not allowed to insult Islam if Islam insults others with its teachings? Why don’t religious people understand respect is a two way street?
It matters in what way you insult Islam. Like if you say Islam is wrong because of *this*. Then ye that's fine. But then you get to mocking religion. For no reason. Like muslims don't go around looking for homosexuals (see I corrected my language Cx) and telling them, you are a sinner and will go too hell. If they do...that's just stupid...Like if a person said is bad or sth with a reason because they believe in something after it. I'm totally fine with that. But if they start coming up to muslims and start mocking them saying islam is bad. That's just not respectful.
Plantagenet Crown
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
So what if other religions are also rude to homosexuals? Is that seriously what you’re using as an excuse to justify Islam’s bigotry and homophobia?
bubblecat
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by ibyghee)
It matters in what way you insult Islam. Like if you say Islam is wrong because of *this*. Then ye that's fine. But then you get to mocking religion. For no reason. Like muslims don't go around looking for homosexuals (see I corrected my language Cx) and telling them, you are a sinner and will go too hell. If they do...that's just stupid...Like if a person said is bad or sth with a reason because they believe in something after it. I'm totally fine with that. But if they start coming up to muslims and start mocking them saying islam is bad. That's just not respectful.
Right okay I see your point. I don’t disrespect any religious person, so long as they aren’t shoving religious discrimination down my throat, and in turn I don’t question what they follow. It’s only when I see religious people harping on about what they believe is right/wrong when it is clearly offensive that I have a problem with it.

I personally think as society develops religion is losing its significance (secularisation) but as long as people can live harmoniously then it’s fine. Thanks for your point of view
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (25)
71.43%
No I haven't decided yet (6)
17.14%
Yes but I might change my mind (4)
11.43%

Watched Threads