The Student Room Group

Computer Science courses

Hi,

I was hoping to get some input from TSR community about computer science courses.

I am really interested in computer science especially programming and machine learning. However, I am not quite sure how to go about developing my knowledge.

A little bit about me, I have an Economics degree as well as a masters in Corporate Finance. I currently am working in Investment Banking and although I am interested in computer science I am not looking to swap careers at least not any time soon.

I was hoping to get some advice on the structure of a computer science degree, would i be able to get some books to learn in my part time if so which books and how can I structure it? I'm not that bothered about accreditation so this is definitely an option.

Are part time degree lectures on the weekend or in the week? It would be impossible for me to commit to lessons in the week right now. So does that mean its not an option?

I have looked at the possibility of doing an OU degree in computing, technology and statistics as this is done completely at home. However, this for me would be a 6 year course and having read some reviews it appears to A) Be incredibly basic in the first 2 years and B) be inferior in regards to content to most bricks and mortar unis.

My preference is definitely a structured course.

Many thanks.
Reply 1
discrete maths
data structures and algorithms
theory of computation
machine learning and parallel computing
learn how to code ...

seriously though, i don't understand why you would want to go into computer science if you are already an investment analyst, are you driven by knowledge ? or you are just preparing for the time when artificial intelligence will make your job obsolete?
Reply 2
Hi thanks for your input, ultimately I don't see my job being at risk as I see AI more affecting ER as IB's are cutting down significantly on ER analysts. I have just become very interested in this field, I do a lot of investing on the side and ML especially would be able to speed up the time I spend researching companies / analysing value drivers. A friend of mine suggests websites like coursea so I think I will give them a try.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending