China - The US: inevitable war?

Watch
eloelo320
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I strongly disagree with the fact that war between the US and China is inevitable and to be honest I'm surprised that anyone can think this way. I very often hear the opinion that bilateral cooperation between these countries isn't good recently, especially after Trump became the president of USA and also I read an article for my studies, in which an author shared this reflection. However, in my opinion it isn't true and although China and the US are serious competitors to get title "the world's greatpower", traditional war between them seems unlikely. My reasons are that:

• China and the United States are too dependent on each other. The Chinese make extensive use of American technology, while Americans have a debt to the Chinese authorities, which has intensified after the economic crisis in 2008, when they took out major loans
  • War is a heavy burden for the economy, which is why it is more profitable for states to cooperate with each other than to fight
  • the key thing to understanding this matter is the Chinese culture, which according to the Confucius teaching emphasizes peace and non-violence. This is the first rule of Chinese to solve problems without fighting

I definitely think that we should be more realistic and think about international policy in critical way
fallen_acorns
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
a war in the traditional sense? Almost impossible. The cold war showed the world how impossible it is to have two super powers fight a traditional war these days. Technology and warfare is simply to effective and too deadly, and economies and outcomes and too interlinked.

But - proxy wars, trade wars, diplomatic wars, etc. etc. = yes, they are already happing and will escalate and continue in the years to come.
Johnny English
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Can't happen ....end of planet .

As is America v RussIa etc .....

No win situation
Tempest II
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
An all-out total war situation is very unlikely but I wouldn't rule out a flash point between the US and PRC occurring over Taiwan or the disputed islands in the South China Sea area.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends who you listen to but if you want a concise book by the preminent expert on this i suggest you read Graham Allison he has some rather good words to say on it.
As for ones own opinion i'm unsure if a war would break out however an accidental one is rather likely and the prospect for escalation is off the scale. Whilst america has been developing its air sea battle doctrine the Chinese have enough ASBM, LBCM, MRBM etc. to cause immense damage to americas fleets and bases. equally if the americans try and attack any targets in china there is a very real possibility the chinese will go nuclear as the americans will definitely attack their nuclear infrastructure.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (579)
34.24%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (696)
41.16%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (339)
20.05%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (77)
4.55%

Watched Threads