The Student Room Group

How are you feeling about Prelims?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Labrador99
Oo, lucky you with study leave for prelims! Do you think you'll benefit from it, or work better in school?
Art is a pretty time consuming subject! Is it the quantity of work overall, or is it managing your time that you're struggling with, or something else?

I’m really glad that I get prelim leave actually even though I’ll probably go into school to study and to ask my teachers for help. I am struggling in general, I have made a study timetable and doing my best to stick to it but I’m already behind in art work, it’s just very time consuming and trying to do homework and study in time for prelims is extremely hard. How are you with school at the moment? :smile:
Reply 21
My Prelims started this Monday. I did only have 1 this week though - National 5 Spanish but next week I have German, French, Geography and English.
Original post by Jb1803
My Prelims started this Monday. I did only have 1 this week though - National 5 Spanish but next week I have German, French, Geography and English.

How did it go? :smile:
Reply 23
Original post by adqwilson
How did it go? :smile:

Honestly, Spanish was a lot easier than expected. And usually P&N papers are harder but it didn't even seem hard.
Original post by Jb1803
Honestly, Spanish was a lot easier than expected. And usually P&N papers are harder but it didn't even seem hard.

Aww that’s good! Tell me how French and English goes when you sit them! I’m doing Nat 5’s as well 😀
Original post by laibah.siddiq
I sat my prelims earlier this week, majority of them are next week. I just hate prelims my school does them so close together and it's so frustrating cos you've only got that night to study for your next prelim.

That's a bit rubbish they're so close together, but if you're super unfortunate the same could happen in the real ones :s-smilie: How did the ones you've had so far go?
Original post by pineapplepink
got my nat 5 prelims in the first week back after the Christmas holidays :eek3:
I really want to do well but I'm not sure how to manage my revision time right now. Anyway I've still got an assignment to do next week so once I've got that out the way I can focus on my prelims.

Hope that your assignment next week goes well! :smile:

In terms of managing your time, make sure you are allowing and allocating time for things you enjoy and the festivities, alongside your studying. I found making a plan useful, providing you don't spend all of your time making the plan! While you're still at school, you can be doing a bit of revision on the evenings/weekends, but make sure you're keeping up with homework etc. and that you get everything you might need before you stop for the holidays!
I’m really glad that I get prelim leave actually even though I’ll probably go into school to study and to ask my teachers for help. I am struggling in general, I have made a study timetable and doing my best to stick to it but I’m already behind in art work, it’s just very time consuming and trying to do homework and study in time for prelims is extremely hard. How are you with school at the moment? :smile:

Making the timetable can be a good place to start- be careful you're not trying to expect too much from yourself in what you plan to do though! Remember that prelims aren't the end goal, and while you should be doing your best to prepare for them, their value is limited...In terms of art, I've never done it so can't really offer specific advice, but overall, it's about making the best use of the time you do have. What kinds of things are you doing to revise?
I've finished school now, not really sure what I'm doing with my life, but have plenty keeping my busy while I figure it out :smile:

Original post by Jb1803

Sounds like Spanish went well from your other posts! Hope that the others go well too :smile:
Hope that your assignment next week goes well! :smile:

In terms of managing your time, make sure you are allowing and allocating time for things you enjoy and the festivities, alongside your studying. I found making a plan useful, providing you don't spend all of your time making the plan! While you're still at school, you can be doing a bit of revision on the evenings/weekends, but make sure you're keeping up with homework etc. and that you get everything you might need before you stop for the holidays!

thanks! do you have any specific advice for revision techniques?
thanks! do you have any specific advice for revision techniques?

The biggest advice I can give you is to use your Nat 5 prelims to find out which techniques work for you...Anything active, like mindmapping, flashcards, etc. is likely going to be more effective than passive reading. There's some pretty good advice in these threads- 1 and 2
Find out not only which techniques work best for you, but what sort of environment, time of day, music/no music, electronic vs paper, etc. you prefer.
There's no one answer for which revision technique will work best, as most often, a combination of methods will work best, and it varies from person to person. Hope this helps :smile:
The biggest advice I can give you is to use your Nat 5 prelims to find out which techniques work for you...Anything active, like mindmapping, flashcards, etc. is likely going to be more effective than passive reading. There's some pretty good advice in these threads- 1 and 2
Find out not only which techniques work best for you, but what sort of environment, time of day, music/no music, electronic vs paper, etc. you prefer.
There's no one answer for which revision technique will work best, as most often, a combination of methods will work best, and it varies from person to person. Hope this helps :smile:

thanks for the links to those threads
thanks for the links to those threads

No problem :smile:
Sounds like Spanish went well from your other posts! Hope that the others go well too :smile:

Thank you so much for the advice! I know, I think I’m setting unrealistic study goals each night and just getting too tired. We are supposed to have nearly finished 4 development drawings but I haven’t completed any yet. I have a maths test tomorrow which I’ve been studying for and I have a english past paper tomorrow which is getting marked. This week I also have a French reading a writing past paper and I have to memorise a whole job application in French not to mention all the homework!!!!!! And then trying to study and revise at the same time. Right now I’m just finding it hard to stay motivated and I’m tired so the information just doesn’t go in. I’m a bit of a mess right now ahahah 😅
My higher prelims start just after the Christmas holidays and I'm really nervous!!! I feel like we've only just started the course. Can't believe how quickly they've come around and the thought of them is really scary!
Original post by Jb1803

I sat my Spanish prelim last week aswell! Do all schools sit the same one? 😁
Thank you so much for the advice! I know, I think I’m setting unrealistic study goals each night and just getting too tired. We are supposed to have nearly finished 4 development drawings but I haven’t completed any yet. I have a maths test tomorrow which I’ve been studying for and I have a english past paper tomorrow which is getting marked. This week I also have a French reading a writing past paper and I have to memorise a whole job application in French not to mention all the homework!!!!!! And then trying to study and revise at the same time. Right now I’m just finding it hard to stay motivated and I’m tired so the information just doesn’t go in. I’m a bit of a mess right now ahahah 😅

No problem :smile:
Hope that your maths test and English past paper went okay :redface:
Any preparation you are doing for what you're doing in class is studying, remember!
Sounds like you could do with making sure you have at least one day of this weekend off, to rest and feel remotivated :smile:
Original post by independentx
My higher prelims start just after the Christmas holidays and I'm really nervous!!! I feel like we've only just started the course. Can't believe how quickly they've come around and the thought of them is really scary!

No idea how we're in December now either! :eek: Seems like only just yesterday you were doing your Nat 5s!

What's your revision plans for over the holidays?
No idea how we're in December now either! :eek: Seems like only just yesterday you were doing your Nat 5s!

What's your revision plans for over the holidays?

I know right, sometimes I forget that I'm not still doing Nat 5s. It sure does feel like yesterday.

I'm gonna make a timetable tomorrow for my revision over the holidays. Yup - I've left that to the last minute as well, when will I learn!
Original post by independentx
I know right, sometimes I forget that I'm not still doing Nat 5s. It sure does feel like yesterday.

I'm gonna make a timetable tomorrow for my revision over the holidays. Yup - I've left that to the last minute as well, when will I learn!

It's scary how quick it seems to have gone!

Sounds good :smile: Not sure to be honest- definitely don't think I have yet :lol:
Well, I am doing 5 highers this year: English, Modern Studies, History, Maths and French and the prelims for these subjects are on consecutive days, meaning as soon as I'm back to school after the holidays, the first entire week will be exam after exam for me! In terms of preparation, I've not done much but I'm hoping I won't do drastically bad... Just got to figure how to revise effectively for Modern Studies and History since in total I've done 8 essays for history and 12 for Modern Studies, making that 20 altogether... :frown: Oh man

Edit: Thank you for the continued support Labrador, even though I don't post a lot, I do like to read your kind words of encouragement
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending