I'm prepared and ready for them :D (0)
0%
Not ready yet, but getting there :) (5)
20.83%
Okay, but quite nervous :o (7)
29.17%
Chilled out :cool: (3)
12.5%
Totally unprepared and stressed out :eek3: (6)
25%
I have prelims?!? :shock: (3)
12.5%
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by ßulletproof)
Well, I am doing 5 highers this year: English, Modern Studies, History, Maths and French and the prelims for these subjects are on consecutive days, meaning as soon as I'm back to school after the holidays, the first entire week will be exam after exam for me! In terms of preparation, I've not done much but I'm hoping I won't do drastically bad... Just got to figure how to revise effectively for Modern Studies and History since in total I've done 8 essays for history and 12 for Modern Studies, making that 20 altogether... Oh man

Edit: Thank you for the continued support Labrador, even though I don't post a lot, I do like to read your kind words of encouragement
I can't give specific advice for modern studies and history, having never done them, but for English essays, I found that planning essays meant I could cover more in a shorter time. It's important to ensure you can still write them, but if you can't do every single one in the depth you'd like, planning (in some depth) is a reasonable compromise.

Thank you so much for your lovely message, you've made my day
Scottish15
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Labrador99)
At this stage, the fact you've been going to some supported study and have presumably been doing some homework and/or revision for class tests is definitely a good start! There is still time to put in some revisions for prelims, but remember they're not your end goal- the exams in May are.
In terms of worrying about doing badly in them, if you pass the prelim I can't really see any reason why a school wouldn't out you in for the exam. And generally schools and teachers recognise that you can still improve a lot in 4 months, so even if you don't pass it in January, if you work hard, you can do well in the final exam.
Don't place too much value on prelims, but there's always people here willing to help if you need a hand with anything
Late reply but thanks for the confidence booster I'm really just focussing on passing them and I'm currently continuing revision in occurdance to my study timetable. Can't wait to get them out of the way as soon as possible.
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 weeks ago
(Original post by Scottish15)
Late reply but thanks for the confidence booster I'm really just focussing on passing them and I'm currently continuing revision in occurdance to my study timetable. Can't wait to get them out of the way as soon as possible.
No problem, and sounds like a good plan! They'll be out of the way before you know it
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
:wavey: Hi everyone, how have you all been getting on? And if your prelims are now out of the way, how did they go?

pineapplepink
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
:wavey: Hi everyone, how have you all been getting on? And if your prelims are now out of the way, how did they go?

my prelims are about to start as soon as I go back to school next week and I'm really stressing out about them rn
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by pineapplepink)
my prelims are about to start as soon as I go back to school next week and I'm really stressing out about them rn
:console: You can do it! So long as you do your best, nobody can ask any more of you. At the end of the day, although it's good practice to be working for them to get a true picture of how you're doing, prelims are just that- a practice. Treat them as a learning opportunity, and if they don't go to plan, that's okay- lots of people improve loads between prelims and real exams!
Yoshi12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you work reasonably hard for prelims and then much harder for the real thing, how much could you improve percentage wise?
Thanks
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
pineapplepink
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
:console: You can do it! So long as you do your best, nobody can ask any more of you. At the end of the day, although it's good practice to be working for them to get a true picture of how you're doing, prelims are just that- a practice. Treat them as a learning opportunity, and if they don't go to plan, that's okay- lots of people improve loads between prelims and real exams!
thanks
Labrador99
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
(Original post by Yoshi12345)
If you work reasonably hard for prelims and then much harder for the real thing, how much could you improve percentage wise?
Thanks
It's difficult to give any exact, or even average figure, a obviously how 'hard' you work is subjective, and some people will work hard and not do well while others seem to do well with little apparent effort...I have seen people going from failing/getting a D to getting As and Bs though, so you can definitely make big improvements if you work effectively!
Yoshi12345
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thank you!

By hard I mean 5-6 hours a day for prelims and 7/8 hrs for the real thing.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Last edited by Yoshi12345; 2 weeks ago
Jb1803
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 day ago
So how did everyones prelims go?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the West of England, Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon - Frenchay Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of East London
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19
  • University of Gloucestershire
    School of Education Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 23 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?