How can I stop biting my nails? Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I have an anxiety disorder and I tend to bite my nails a lot.
I tried putting nail polish but it doesn’t work.
Anything else I can do to permanently stop?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
HahaIhavenolife
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
There are special nail polishes which you can get which taste absolutely horrific, so you become classically conditioned to stop biting your nails because everytime you go to do so, you get this disgusting taste in your mouth. They're relatively cheap online and on amazon etc.
You could try getting something else you can keep with you and fiddle with when you feel the urge to bite them. For example a rubber band, just something small you can occupy your hands with.

Good luck!
Laurence863
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
I used to have the same problem, the honest answer ignoring the bs is to just stop yourself, nothing forces you to bite them, just recognise you're doing it then dont. Worked for me.
rym2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I tried using the foul tasting stuff, but I just kept doing it. My nails are super short, but not ugly.
LettuceBagels
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Personally been using the bitter nail polish, but it really works as more of a 'reminder' for when I begin to bite. Like any other habit, I've tried to work through the underlying cause. If I'm nervous, I tend to bite, so I keep more food or water around me to replace the need to. If I'm stressed, I'll take a break from whatever I'm doing. If I'm watching a video or something where my hands are idle, I'll try to use a fidget toy or hold a pen, so there's something to occcupy my hands. Conversely, chewing gum might help you. If you want to continue with a barrier method, perhaps try wearing gloves or getting shellac over your nails.

Ultimately, like any addiction/nervous habit, it's about noticing when you're going to do it, and managing the triggers. It's alright to start over, any time.
tesconyc
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
just keep them hands busy
rym2000
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
To be honest, I don’t see a problem with nail biting, it keeps my nails even shorter than I could cut them, keeps my hands neat, means I can’t scratch people accidentally, and means I can’t get anything under them.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (97)
14.85%
Yes - a food allergy (71)
10.87%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (16)
2.45%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (18)
2.76%
No (451)
69.07%

Watched Threads