The Student Room Group

Is it worth applying?

I'm currently a year13 student going through the UCAS process. My predicted grades are AAA, they are in Politics, History and economics.

I'm really interested in the international relations course offered at KCL. However, the other 4 courses I am applying to are for politics and IR. This has meant my PS has been tailored to include aspects of both politics and IR (though closely linked).

Considering I dont meet the requirements of KCL which us A*AA, aswell as my PS showing my interest is not IR solely, is it worth me applying for the course? Or should I try my luck elsewhere.

Would love to hear you opinions.😁
Original post by LukePB139
I'm currently a year13 student going through the UCAS process. My predicted grades are AAA, they are in Politics, History and economics.

I'm really interested in the international relations course offered at KCL. However, the other 4 courses I am applying to are for politics and IR. This has meant my PS has been tailored to include aspects of both politics and IR (though closely linked).

Considering I dont meet the requirements of KCL which us A*AA, aswell as my PS showing my interest is not IR solely, is it worth me applying for the course? Or should I try my luck elsewhere.

What is it about KCL's IR course which appeals to you so much given that you don't want to study solely IR elsewhere?

I doubt that you are alone in this dilemma. Are your other 4 choices spread across a range of requirements?
Reply 2
Original post by ageshallnot
What is it about KCL's IR course which appeals to you so much given that you don't want to study solely IR elsewhere?

I doubt that you are alone in this dilemma. Are your other 4 choices spread across a range of requirements?

UCL's requirements are AAA
Exeter's requirements AAB
Southampton ABB
Leicester BBB

I put KCL down as a possible choice for 2 reasons
1) it is a top university and is well k kwn for its influence in the political world. Its IR course is also regarded as one if the best.
2) Having visited myself, the course really appealed to me.

If KCL offered a politics and IR course I would choose it without a doubt. However seeing it only offered either IR or politics by itself, I thought it may be worth a try.
Visiting several other unis I mentioned above and attending their politics and IR talks was the main reason I wanted to do a course covering both aspects Instead of doing either by themselves.
Would it be fair to say KCL would not view my application the same way as they do with a application mentioning solely IR
UCL's requirements are AAA
Exeter's requirements AAB
Southampton ABB
Leicester BBB

I put KCL down as a possible choice for 2 reasons
1) it is a top university and is well k kwn for its influence in the political world. Its IR course is also regarded as one if the best.
2) Having visited myself, the course really appealed to me.

If KCL offered a politics and IR course I would choose it without a doubt. However seeing it only offered either IR or politics by itself, I thought it may be worth a try.
Visiting several other unis I mentioned above and attending their politics and IR talks was the main reason I wanted to do a course covering both aspects Instead of doing either by themselves.
Would it be fair to say KCL would not view my application the same way as they do with a application mentioning solely IR

Good reasons.

I think you would be fortunate to get a KCL offer, but you have zero chance if you don't apply. You will get 3-4 other offers so what's to lose?

You could risk it, but many uni’s will reject immediately purely based on not having the correct grade requirements.
Original post by _mialouise01
You could risk it, but many uni’s will reject immediately purely based on not having the correct grade requirements.

False information

I'd apply. It's worth having 1 or 2 aspirational choices and the remaining being more safe.
Reply 6

The UCAS Offer rate calculator doesn't have IR at KCL but it does have Politics which has the same A*AA requirement.

It gives a 72% offer chance for your predictions.

Screenshot 2018-11-27 at 00.07.53.jpg
https://www.ucas.com/advisers/offer-rate-calculator/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending