The Student Room Group

ESA and student maintenance?

I'm currently on ESA for disability (I don't get full disability payments as I live with my mum, I can't live independently). I have mental health issues, mainly depression and OCD but perhaps bipolar (?) and I'm also about to be assessed for learning disorders , seems likely that it will be dyscalculia and/or dyspraxia and I'm not sure but I think autism spectrum disorder is being looked at too. I struggle to work since I get overwhelmed easily and have meltdowns, even studying is a struggle sometimes to be honest but as I'm learning more about my mental health I'm starting to learn how to cope with everyday tasks. I have to take things one step at a time though. My mum is currently off work long term due to serious complications of past cancer treatment so with her on half pay I'm getting worried about the income side, especially if my ESA is removed once I start uni next year. Getting a job for me is out of the question right now, I'm advised to take my progression to adulthood one step at a time and getting a job would be a huge leap from my current situation (I only attend college for 15 hours a week over 3 days and that's about as much as I can manage on average). Things are getting better, I feel ready for university finally after 4 years of being able to attend, but I don't want to rush things.

TLDR: Will student maintenence grants affect my ESA? Will I be able to get ESA when I'm at uni? Will I get other disability costs (excluding the grants for disability-related costs such as special software)?
Original post by staarchild
I'm currently on ESA for disability (I don't get full disability payments as I live with my mum, I can't live independently). I have mental health issues, mainly depression and OCD but perhaps bipolar (?) and I'm also about to be assessed for learning disorders , seems likely that it will be dyscalculia and/or dyspraxia and I'm not sure but I think autism spectrum disorder is being looked at too. I struggle to work since I get overwhelmed easily and have meltdowns, even studying is a struggle sometimes to be honest but as I'm learning more about my mental health I'm starting to learn how to cope with everyday tasks. I have to take things one step at a time though. My mum is currently off work long term due to serious complications of past cancer treatment so with her on half pay I'm getting worried about the income side, especially if my ESA is removed once I start uni next year. Getting a job for me is out of the question right now, I'm advised to take my progression to adulthood one step at a time and getting a job would be a huge leap from my current situation (I only attend college for 15 hours a week over 3 days and that's about as much as I can manage on average). Things are getting better, I feel ready for university finally after 4 years of being able to attend, but I don't want to rush things.

TLDR: Will student maintenence grants affect my ESA? Will I be able to get ESA when I'm at uni? Will I get other disability costs (excluding the grants for disability-related costs such as special software)?

Hi,

We would advise to speak to your benefit agency to discuss whether your ESA will be affected by a student loan. Aside from the Disabled Students Allowances, you may be eligible to apply for the Special Support Element of the Maintenance Loan. If you can provide evidence to show your eligibility for ESA, you may be entitled to receive a higher amount of Maintenance Loan.

Thanks,
Erin K

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending