The Student Room Group

Balance equation question

Hi I recently did a titration in my chem lab and I am now completing the worksheet. I am on the part where I need to find out the theoretical yield for which I need a balanced equation.If anyone can balance this I'll be grateful as I am struggling!

CaCO3 + H2O2 = CaO2.4H2O + CO2 + H2O

THANK YOU!!
(edited 5 years ago)
Are you sure that's correct? Only oxygen is reduced but nothing is oxidised. I get this equation instead:

2H2O2 + 2CaCO3 = 2H2CO3 + 2CaO + O2
Reply 2
Honestly I’m not sure it is, the equation I was given to answer the question was CaCO3 + H2O2 = CaO2.XH2O + CO2 + H2O.
The first few questions were to find out the value of X which I calculated to be 4 and then I just substituted it into this equation.
I’m not sure if I was meant to do that? But it was a titration lab just to give u more context. The question I’m on now asks me to calculate the theoretical yield of calcium peroxide hydrate that would be formed in the reaction.

Thank you for your help
Original post by BobbJo
Are you sure that's correct? Only oxygen is reduced but nothing is oxidised. I get this equation instead:

2H2O2 + 2CaCO3 = 2H2CO3 + 2CaO + O2
Original post by Lucy uhla
Honestly I’m not sure it is, the equation I was given to answer the question was CaCO3 + H2O2 = CaO2.XH2O + CO2 + H2O.
The first few questions were to find out the value of X which I calculated to be 4 and then I just substituted it into this equation.
I’m not sure if I was meant to do that? But it was a titration lab just to give u more context. The question I’m on now asks me to calculate the theoretical yield of calcium peroxide hydrate that would be formed in the reaction.

Thank you for your help

Have you been able to balance it? The equation doesn't seem correct

Quick Reply

Latest