41ex
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically I’m choosing my a levels and I know for sure I’m doing history and politics (I want to do a his&pol degree at uni) and my other option is probably English lit but now I’m concerned I’ve given myself too heavy of a workload? Like is taking three essay based subjects a mistake or actually do-able? I guess my other option would be biology (as it’s a facilitating subject) so would this be a better combination? Thanks!!
hallamstudents
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Alexhowe)
Basically I’m choosing my a levels and I know for sure I’m doing history and politics (I want to do a his&pol degree at uni) and my other option is probably English lit but now I’m concerned I’ve given myself too heavy of a workload? Like is taking three essay based subjects a mistake or actually do-able? I guess my other option would be biology (as it’s a facilitating subject) so would this be a better combination? Thanks!!
Hi Alexhowe,

I did 3 essay based subjects- History, Classics and Politics.

I managed to do all of them so you'll definitely manage! At times I did have busy weeks but as long as you start planning big pieces of work the day you get it you should be fine. A lot of the work I was set was note taking or short questions to learn facts/interpretations fast so you definitely won't be getting essays every day. If I'm completely honest at times I definitely felt overwhelmed but I always pulled through and handed work in on time. While taking these subjects I also took martial arts classes three times a week, participated in school productions and sang in choirs (all after school) so you do get time to do things other than work!

That being said it really helps when doing a subject if you're really interested in it so if you really enjoy English lit then definitely take it because you'll find it so much easier to manage work doing something you like.

Hope this helps!

Lucy
Emma:-)
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you enjoy all of them then you will be fine.
HSennett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I currently take English Lit, History and English Lang at A Level and I did Politics at AS Level,
Yes, the workload is hard with three essay subjects but if you enjoy the subjects I'm sure you'll be fine! I haven't had any issues

If you have any questions about any of the subjects feel free to reach out
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You don't need 3 "facilitating" subjects. Pick a 3rd subject you enjoy and will do well in.

Posted from TSR Mobile
41ex
Rep:
?
(Original post by HSennett)
I currently take English Lit, History and English Lang at A Level and I did Politics at AS Level,
Yes, the workload is hard with three essay subjects but if you enjoy the subjects I'm sure you'll be fine! I haven't had any issues

If you have any questions about any of the subjects feel free to reach out
Thank you so much! If you don’t mind me asking, how much of a step up was English lit from GCSE to alevels (workload and grades) and which exam board did you do? Thank so much!!
HSennett
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Thank you so much! If you don’t mind me asking, how much of a step up was English lit from GCSE to alevels (workload and grades) and which exam board did you do? Thank so much!!
Hey! Sorry for the late reply! The workload hasn't been too bad actually but I think there is an adjustment period where you have to get used to the new assessment criteria and your grades may drop slightly until you get into the swing of things!

I have AQA as my exam board!

Hope this helps!
41ex
Rep:
?
Ah thank you so much that’s been so helpful!
Jessie24
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I did three essay based subjects and found it fine. As long as you enjoy your subjects and are willing to do the work then it should be okay. It sets you up for uni too.
redmeercat
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing 3 essay subjects at a very intense school and honestly it is fine... it's more important to enjoy your subjects than to make your life easy. I do English lit, French and History, and it is a stretch but as long as you are willing to work you will be fine.
Alexty28
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing History, Politics and English Lit at college, and it can be intense but it does work in your favour as you will learn skills that are useful for all three of your subjects.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.06%
No - I have already returned home (21)
13.04%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (35)
21.74%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.7%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.47%

Watched Threads