The Student Room Group

Chaucer... help?!?

Hey,
we’re doing Chaucer at the minute and I have no clue what I actually need to know (our teacher is basically just reciting it at us). Does anyone have any advice or guidance? I honestly have no clue what I’m doing and when I tell her this she just keeps reciting, occasionally forming an analogy.
Reply 1
Have you tried looking at 'translations' online? Or plot summaries? They're good to get the foundations of it.
I assume it's the Canterbury Tales, and if so, which 'Tale'?
Original post by Eve Rose
Have you tried looking at 'translations' online? Or plot summaries? They're good to get the foundations of it.
I assume it's the Canterbury Tales, and if so, which 'Tale'?

It’s the result of Januaries wedding currently (him talking about how he’s going to be “too much” for her). I think I might just give up on her and sit and translate it 😂😂
Don't do english a level/gcse, do you read the Middle English text???
Reply 4
I'd offer to help but I've only done the Miller's Tale :frown:

I'm sure there'll be something online, but that's so frustrating that she won't just...explain it?
Don’t worry I found the Harvard translation and it’s brill! Thank you chick xx
Ahh I'm doing the same as you. :frown:

What I've been looking at (other than the literal translations of the the poem) is different themes, like the presentation/treatment of women, deception Vs reality, relationship between tale and teller etc.

Then, you need to find context (A03) to help support your argument: usually has something to do with a patriarchal society where women are seen to be of a lower-status than men -that's always a good one to mention at some point... Then, you need to know critics (A05). I usually get mine off Quizlet because people find them and put them on there so they've pretty much done the hard part for you! :smile:

Chaucer is hard to get your head round, but for my exam, it's open-book so I don't really need to memorise loads of quotes. Not sure if you'll be the same tho? x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending