URGENT please ! Descriptive writing, no narrative

Watch
Sandymag
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
My daughter had been set iGCSE course work which involves producing a piece of descriptive writing based on a photograph. She's done just over the original target 500 words. The class have been told today that to stand chance of A/B it must be 700-800 words long by Friday.She tells me it must be purely descriptive, not narrative in any way, ie no sense of a story, just writing purely about what she can see in the photo. The image is from Woman in Black and shows Daniel Radcliffe's character facing an old manor house in an overgrown garden. She has included references to the style of architecture, basically milked it to death with great description but i can't bimsgine how she is going
to do another couple of hundred words without drifting into the realms of why the character is there, imagining the history of the house etc. Does anyone have any hints?
annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
the structure i use is: overview, zoom, flashback, present, overview. your daughter could take the description into the past - so if she hasn't already, explain what the building used to be like in the past. extended metaphors are also great because you can add it anywhere and take the writing to a whole new level! i also recommend two-three adjectives before a noun (do NOT overuse this because it drags). try using synonyms for some words that might boost up the word count as well - but remember quality, not quantity! you don't want to bore the examiner by going off on one about his eyes or the window pane.

i hope this helps! i actually find it quite hard to write any more than 400-500 words as well but i wish you and your daughter good luck!
Sandymag
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thank you so much! Your formula really helped her think clearly about it. Her teacher now says they can write about the unseen, eg the inside of the house which gives something else to go on.
annlaju
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Sandymag)
Thank you so much! Your formula really helped her think clearly about it. Her teacher now says they can write about the unseen, eg the inside of the house which gives something else to go on.
no worries! and yeah, i forgot to mention that you only need the picture as a sort of suggestion too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (592)
34.06%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (720)
41.43%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (347)
19.97%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (79)
4.55%

Watched Threads