boi_
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I got my interview next week and I want to know which topics are most likely to come up. In my mock interview I messed up an electricity equation ( did p=v^2r instead of i^2r), and I wouldn't want anything like that to happen, so obviously I'll try revise all my topics. In my SAQ i said that I will have done further mechanics, thermal physics and fields by the interview, but we haven't finished fields.

What are the realistic chances of me getting a fields question in an engineering interview, and what would be the most important (maths and physics) topics to be revising?

So far I've just been doing problem solving and maths based interview questions.
Doones
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by chinkinator)
I got my interview next week and I want to know which topics are most likely to come up. In my mock interview I messed up an electricity equation ( did p=v^2r instead of i^2r), and I wouldn't want anything like that to happen, so obviously I'll try revise all my topics. In my SAQ i said that I will have done further mechanics, thermal physics and fields by the interview, but we haven't finished fields.

What are the realistic chances of me getting a fields question in an engineering interview, and what would be the most important (maths and physics) topics to be revising?

So far I've just been doing problem solving and maths based interview questions.
If you haven't covered a topic they ask about just say so. But be prepared to have a think about how you might go about answering it anyway.

Did you watch the Trinity video?
https://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/undergrad...ng/interviews/

Posted from TSR Mobile
boi_
Rep:
?
Ok that's really useful actually. I watched parts of the video but haven't sat down and watched the whole thing.
So what topics do come up most often?
Doones
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ok that's really useful actually. I watched parts of the video but haven't sat down and watched the whole thing.
So what topics do come up most often?
Watch the video and you'll understand why there's no answer to that...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Try not to stress too much. They know you’ll be nervous and may make a silly mistake.

I had a question where he asked me if I knew the equation for gravitational potential energy, I said I thought I did but knew it contained a certain thing, it did not. I then proceeded to integrate essentially 1/x^2 wrong. Yet I still got in. It’s more about thinking how you would do it than whether you make silly mistakes. It doesn’t matter if you remember the formula books of by heart , although remembering equations is useful if you have an at interview test
lconlon13
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Snoozinghamster)
Try not to stress too much. They know you’ll be nervous and may make a silly mistake.

I had a question where he asked me if I knew the equation for gravitational potential energy, I said I thought I did but knew it contained a certain thing, it did not. I then proceeded to integrate essentially 1/x^2 wrong. Yet I still got in. It’s more about thinking how you would do it than whether you make silly mistakes. It doesn’t matter if you remember the formula books of by heart , although remembering equations is useful if you have an at interview test
If by 'formula for gravitational potential energy ' you mean e=mgh then how tf did you get in? That's physics you learn when are 12/13
boi_
Rep:
?
(Original post by Snoozinghamster)

Yeah I understand, I actually feel really good about interviews generally. I'm sure I'll be fine talking about my personal statement and general things like that, and I'll be fine at any straight maths as long as I don't make silly mistakes, it's just I don't feel like I'm that good at physics tbh... Just trying to improve my chances of getting in
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by lconlon13)
If by 'formula for gravitational potential energy ' you mean e=mgh then how tf did you get in? That's physics you learn when are 12/13
No meant the one for dealing with space etc, we had only just started grav fields and I got it mixed up with electricity (I think) it was a year ago. I don’t remember exactly what happened. Didn’t mess up mgh though!
Snoozinghamster
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Yeah I understand, I actually feel really good about interviews generally. I'm sure I'll be fine talking about my personal statement and general things like that, and I'll be fine at any straight maths as long as I don't make silly mistakes, it's just I don't feel like I'm that good at physics tbh... Just trying to improve my chances of getting in
Hate to break it to you but they probably won’t really ask you about your personal statement. The only question I had was “what is an Arkwright scholarship” since my interviewer hadn’t heard of it.
Treat it as an opportunity to talk to people really knowledgeable about the subjects you like and try to forget it’s an interview. Easier said than done i know!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (50)
31.65%
No - I have already returned home (20)
12.66%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (33)
20.89%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (14)
8.86%
No - I live at home during term anyway (41)
25.95%

Watched Threads