Joyce621
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi everyone, I am an international (non-EU) student without any Law academic background. Because of the former internship in an immigration law firm deciding study law then. Could anyone tell me what's the difference between GDL course and LLM course of BPP? I heard LLM course is more difficult than GDL... Because LLM (Conversion) is an new course starting this year, so I am not sure which one is better.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Joyce621)
Hi everyone, I am an international (non-EU) student without any Law academic background. Because of the former internship in an immigration law firm deciding study law then. Could anyone tell me what's the difference between GDL course and LLM course of BPP? I heard LLM course is more difficult than GDL... Because LLM (Conversion) is an new course starting this year, so I am not sure which one is better.
Academically, one is a Level 6 Course (GDL) and one is a Level 7 Course (LLM)

The GDL is a postgraduate conversion course for non-law graduates, covering all the core legal modules necessary for a qualifying law degree, plus a research project.

The LLM (Conversion) covers the same content, but is taught at "masters degree level". It's essentially the same thing as the GDL, but with a longer research project at the end. Supposedly, it's taught and assessed at a higher level than the GDL. For this reason, you can't seek exemptions from modules in the same way that you can with a GDL.
Joyce621
Rep:
?
Wow! Thanks for your answer first. As a non-uk and non-EU resident I heard becoming a UK solicitor, one way is GDL-LPC-TC (2 years). But I want to know could I do LLM-LPC-TC as well? LLM courses seems more suitable for me, I am struggle with LLM or GDL as I am afraid to waste 1 year time to do the LLM course. Anyway, be a UK solicior is my goal. And more question, every law firm has right to give employee training contract or just specific law firm?

(Original post by RV3112)
Academically, one is a Level 6 Course (GDL) and one is a Level 7 Course (LLM)

The GDL is a postgraduate conversion course for non-law graduates, covering all the core legal modules necessary for a qualifying law degree, plus a research project.

The LLM (Conversion) covers the same content, but is taught at "masters degree level". It's essentially the same thing as the GDL, but with a longer research project at the end. Supposedly, it's taught and assessed at a higher level than the GDL. For this reason, you can't seek exemptions from modules in the same way that you can with a GDL.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As a non-uk and non-EU resident I heard becoming a UK solicitor, one way is GDL-LPC-TC (2 years). But I want to know could I do LLM-LPC-TC as well?
Generally, no. An LL.M. is not usually the equivalent of a GDL. However, the particular LL.M. (Conversion) course you have discussed is an exception to this rule. If you sit this particular, unique LL.M. then you will able to sit the LPC etc in the same way as if you did the GDL. (Because an LL.M. is not usually sufficient to qualify you to sit the LPC, it is vital that you check out each course individually with the uni concerned.)

It's worth bearing in mind that the entire qualification process for becoming a solicitor is changing in 2020. There will no longer be a requirement for a GDL or its equivalent.

And more question, every law firm has right to give employee training contract or just specific law firm?
I presume this is meant in the context of an international applicant. It would be fair to say that its harder to gain a training contract in the UK as an international applicant, but it is not impossible. Anecdotally, i'd guess that perhaps maybe 15% of TC places would consider international applicants but i don't know how this will change with Brexit looming and i don't really know what the actual stats are.
Last edited by RV3112; 2 years ago
Joyce621
Rep:
?
(Original post by RV3112)
Generally, no. An LL.M. is not usually the equivalent of a GDL. However, the particular LL.M. (Conversion) course you have discussed is an exception to this rule. If you sit this particular, unique LL.M. then you will able to sit the LPC etc in the same way as if you did the GDL. (Because an LL.M. is not usually sufficient to qualify you to sit the LPC, it is vital that you check out each course individually with the uni concerned.)

It's worth bearing in mind that the entire qualification process for becoming a solicitor is changing in 2020. There will no longer be a requirement for a GDL or its equivalent.

I presume this is meant in the context of an international applicant. It would be fair to say that its harder to gain a training contract in the UK as an international applicant, but it is not impossible. Anecdotally, i'd guess that perhaps maybe 15% of TC places would consider international applicants but i don't know how this will change with Brexit looming and i don't really know what the actual stats are.
Ok. Thank you very much!!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Feeling behind at school/college? What is the best thing your teachers could to help you catch up?

Extra compulsory independent learning activities (eg, homework tasks) (18)
7.41%
Run extra compulsory lessons or workshops (37)
15.23%
Focus on making the normal lesson time with them as high quality as possible (43)
17.7%
Focus on making the normal learning resources as high quality/accessible as possible (35)
14.4%
Provide extra optional activities, lessons and/or workshops (63)
25.93%
Assess students, decide who needs extra support and focus on these students (47)
19.34%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed