Guys who go out of their way to look after their physical appearance ?

Watch
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I think we can all agree that in society generally speaking that while it's expected for everyone to do at least basic hygiene and grooming like brushing teeth or combing your hair it's considered feminine for someone to really go out of their way to look after their physical appearance and constantly groom themselves like wearing make up, getting a manicure/pedicure, wearing face masks with the cucumbers over their eyes like you see some women do in movies is all generally considered to be feminine stuff plus when you look at a lot of skin care brands like L'Oréal or Nivea most of their products are aimed at women by default and then they have their separate brands with the "MEN" or "MEN expert" label slapped on the front to let you know that those products are aimed at well men obviously.

What I want to know is what women specifically but men too think about guys who REALLY go above and beyond to look after physical appearance. I'm talking as a guy having a skin care regimen and making use of face washes , face/body scrubs , toners , serums , day/night creams, face mists , facial oils , eye cream, spot treatments , facial cleansing brushes and face masks on a daily/weekly basis. As far as I know most guys don't do that so would that be off putting or considered too feminine if I was in a relationship with a girl ? 🤔🤔

On top of that I really like fashion, working out and looking after my hair and facial hair because it potentially makes your body and face look better. Basically I like to do a lot of things to look after my physical appearance beyond what most guys would do but I don't wear makeup , get manicures/pedicures or paint my nails because that might be a step too far

Here's a video to help you better understand the kind of thing i'm talking about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv-HooNOWhU
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Guys being well groomed and organizing a skincare regime are both great.
Only using eye cream, wearing makeup or an extensive nailcare regime would put me off- if it was not for health/medical reasons.
Careful not to go too far where you start looking down on people you consider unattractive who don't seem to put a lot of emphasis on personal grooming or looks.
NishaaaR
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I like a guy with nice eyebrows and well moisturised skin. I like a well-groomed and well-dressed guy though.

inb4 "get with a gay guy"
Moe_00
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am a guy who uses face wash twice a day because I get oily skin and spots. I think it is good if it makes you feel confident. As long as you don't go overboard and spend too long on it.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
Guys being well groomed and organizing a skincare regime are both great.
Only using eye cream, wearing makeup or an extensive nailcare regime would put me off- if it was not for health/medical reasons.
Careful not to go too far where you start looking down on people you consider unattractive who don't seem to put a lot of emphasis on personal grooming or looks.
Why would using and eye cream be considered off putting ?
It's****ingWOODY
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Mshabana)
I am a guy who uses face wash twice a day because I get oily skin and spots. I think it is good if it makes you feel confident. As long as you don't go overboard and spend too long on it.
You're probably making your oily skin and spots even worse by washing your face twice a day, just FYI. Washing off all the oils even once daily makes your skin supercompensate by producing more oil, and your skin can get more and more oily over time.
Act of War
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
oh yeah totally your penis drops off because you using too many health products. dont be such a melt bro, if you wanna look good then take the steps to get there
Captain Holt
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ngl, I don’t think I’ve ever brushed my hair, it just sort of sits there looking really boring and oddly neat
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Couldn't care less just as long as I'm not expected to do it. It's not for me. I just can't be arsed and I'm more of a 'rugged' bloke anyway. My beard keeps my skin nice in any case - no weather can affect it :laugh:
londonmyst
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Why would using and eye cream be considered off putting ?
A few of my ex's mates used to do it, they were obnoxious creeps.
Spent a fortune on a bunch of expensive eye creams, accompanied by different nailcare appointments a week for hands and feet.
Very irritating.
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
What I want to know is what women specifically but men too think about guys who REALLY go above and beyond ... I like to do a lot of things to look after my physical appearance beyond what most guys would do
It's all in the eyes. GQ says, 'Women love a man with shaved eyebrows and curled lashes (eye liner is optional).'
(jk - please don't)

eez
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
cant be looking like a tramp lmfao
Anonymous #1
(Original post by londonmyst)
A few of my ex's mates used to do it, they were obnoxious creeps.
Spent a fortune on a bunch of expensive eye creams, accompanied by different nailcare appointments a week for hands and feet.
Very irritating.
Fair enough lmao
Anonymous #2
Report 2 years ago
Women treat their body and house like men treat their car and suit. To be clear: Sartorialism / Savile Row is for men. Fashion is for women (if you understand 'fashion', you'll know that it's 100% marketing and has nothing to do with quality workmanship - Learn about Savile Row and bespoke and you'll get an idea)

Advice: If you cross into the feminine realm, you'll find that women will quickly lose respect for you. And men will lose respect for you (hence the digs - seriously, not seriously, seriously...). Look, what you do privately in the bathroom should be your business alone, and if it works, and you look presentable and that's fine. Your appearance matches your environment and you aren't offending anyone with poor smell and hygiene. The rest is flair, and most conservative will not do this because it puts a target on your back. Things like double breasted suits, pocket squares, hats, gloves, scarves, boutonnieres, cuff links, etc, are nice to have, also nice skin, hair, nails, hands, etc, but like playing cards, a man needs to learn his place in the world and understand how to play his cards right, at the right time, to get the right result. If that makes sense. So, I suggest you keep your private life private, and start with low-key sartorialism, like a decent suit that fits impeccably whilst not having any bells and whistles. Lapels and shirt collar shapes that complement your face (not skinny lapels or skinny ties). Classic masculine colours. Masculine soaps and fragrances from a class shaving shop and you're set for life. Then, you'll command respect from your colleagues, your boss, AND WOMEN. Flair is reserved for weddings, parties, the races, memorials, etc. It's not for daily use. Only women do that because they're women (and to attract men). If you start telling people you're contemplating laser hair removal, makeup, etc, you can expect women to flock to you momentarily (out of fascination) but you'll risk becoming like a woman in their eyes. Like a cute puppy, or a doll, a new toy, and NOT A MAN.

Check out https://www.askandyaboutclothes.com/forum/ for the basics, and take cues from Italian sartorialism for flair, http://www.thesartorialist.com/tag/italy/
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

If you don't put your camera on in online lessons, why is that?

My teacher doesn't want us to (36)
17.73%
No one else does (66)
32.51%
I'm embarrassed about my background (20)
9.85%
I feel self-conscious showing my face (70)
34.48%
We don't use a video platform (3)
1.48%
I don't have a camera (3)
1.48%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
2.46%

Watched Threads