The Student Room Group

Will I be able to do A Level Politics at home?

Last May I sat my GCSEs in hospital and didn't get the grades I was expecting, so I didn't go to the sixth form that I had planned to. In September, I started a Health and Social course in college but was dropped from the course in October due to bad attendance. I've decided that the school/ college environment isn't for me but I still would really like to get some A Levels so I can go on to uni. I just want to do one this year and decided on politics but was just wondering if anyone had any tips for teaching yourself/ any general advice about doing a levels at home
Original post by a1icia
Last May I sat my GCSEs in hospital and didn't get the grades I was expecting, so I didn't go to the sixth form that I had planned to. In September, I started a Health and Social course in college but was dropped from the course in October due to bad attendance. I've decided that the school/ college environment isn't for me but I still would really like to get some A Levels so I can go on to uni. I just want to do one this year and decided on politics but was just wondering if anyone had any tips for teaching yourself/ any general advice about doing a levels at home

You could always be applying to sixth form in 2019.
What was the reason for your poor attendance?
College/school is easier and its free.

I have looked at A level politics fro AQA and that would be suitable for home study as it looks to be 100% exams.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/government-and-politics/as-and-a-level/politics-7152/specification-at-a-glance

Are you expecting to do this for Summer 2019?

AS or a whole A level?

Pick exam board
1. Download specification.
2. Decide if you want to pay for an online course or get text books and work out the price [ £300-500 or £50-100 for books]
3. Decide if you need essay feedback.
4. Arrange for exam fees and venue. Could be £300-450 to sit.

Self study imo is more difficult and you have to be well organised and motivated.
All depends what you are like as a self studier.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
You could always be applying to sixth form in 2019.
What was the reason for your poor attendance?
College/school is easier and its free.

I have looked at A level politics fro AQA and that would be suitable for home study as it looks to be 100% exams.
https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/government-and-politics/as-and-a-level/politics-7152/specification-at-a-glance

Are you expecting to do this for Summer 2019?

AS or a whole A level?

Pick exam board
1. Download specification.
2. Decide if you want to pay for an online course or get text books and work out the price [ £300-500 or £50-100 for books]
3. Decide if you need essay feedback.
4. Arrange for exam fees and venue. Could be £300-450 to sit.

Self study imo is more difficult and you have to be well organised and motivated.
All depends what you are like as a self studier.

I had poor attendance in college due to my mental health. My vague plan was to do A level politics this year as a whole A Level and then to go back to sixth form/ college next September to do other A Levels. I don't want to waste a year of my life so figured might as well do something this year.

Plan was to do Edexcel politics. I would deffo need essay feedback but most of the websites I've been on for the A level provide that. The thing I think I'd be most stuck on would probs be findinf a venue.

I know self studying can be hard but it's also very difficult to find a college that can work the timetable around my recovery and how I feel on the day, and most tutors I've had haven't been the most understanding.
Original post by a1icia
I had poor attendance in college due to my mental health. My vague plan was to do A level politics this year as a whole A Level and then to go back to sixth form/ college next September to do other A Levels. I don't want to waste a year of my life so figured might as well do something this year.

Plan was to do Edexcel politics. I would deffo need essay feedback but most of the websites I've been on for the A level provide that. The thing I think I'd be most stuck on would probs be findinf a venue.

I know self studying can be hard but it's also very difficult to find a college that can work the timetable around my recovery and how I feel on the day, and most tutors I've had haven't been the most understanding.

You could ask your old school or look on the edexcel website for a list. You still have to learn 2 years work in less than 6 months.

What is it you are intending to do at uni or as a career? make sure there isnt a 2 year window rule. You also only need 3 A levels. perhaps getting your MH sorted out would be a greater investment.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by a1icia

I think it’s a very good idea! Looking to get things done that fit around you is important. How old are you? My thoughts are that if you are 18 before February you could also look in the Open University and do a couple of their February start modules. You can also use these as access onto a brick uni degree course if you didn’t want to pursue a part time distance learning degree.
I did politics A level, many years ago, and it was easy to catch up on and do in your own time. I would give a A level centre a call and see if you could sit the exams there instead of doing the whole course.

Quick Reply

Latest