Have your say: Creative arts ‘should be compulsory’ for all GCSE students Watch

Arran90
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by yngze)
See now that would suck. Everyone’s forced to take maths and english, including people who aren’t good at them. I’m not saying that they shouldn’t have priority (at least maths and eng. language - english lit is a different story), but there’s a stigma around arts that if you’re not already talented you shouldn’t bother learning at all. Things like music and drama take just as much time to get better at as maths or science, and i’d rather get to see someone make or do something original and creative than for them to tell me something they’ve learnt by heart from a textbook that I could have googled for myself (again, not putting down STEM, they’re obviously very important in their own right).
English language and mathematics were also available at CSE, along with a few other subjects, for students of lower academic ability.

Subjects that my mother didn't take included woodwork, home economics, religious studies, French, typing and office work (not an O Level or a CSE), car mechanics (not an O Level or a CSE), in addition to creative arts. There was no computer science or ICT available.

My mother wasn't keen on English literature being compulsory - or perhaps a compromise could be made that students who didn't take it had to take either history or a creative arts subject.
dancesingact
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
I don't think they should be compulsory but should be valued an encouraged by including them in the ebacc
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
dancesingact
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TensorTympani)
I do believe that. And EBACC is very important if your so interested into why it is important search it up. How is 'creative' arts going to fill in skill gaps?
ummmm actually creative arts will fill skill gaps as whilst everything else is taken over by computers and robots you will never be able to replace creative and innovative thinking. there will always be a need for creativity.
TensorTympani
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by dancesingact)
ummmm actually creative arts will fill skill gaps as whilst everything else is taken over by computers and robots you will never be able to replace creative and innovative thinking. there will always be a need for creativity.
https://www.popularmechanics.com/tec...yre-very-good/
Umm think again.
dancesingact
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the whole point and joy of art is that it has feeling and emotion and a story behind it... what about theatre???
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
the whole point and joy of art is that it has feeling and emotion and a story behind it... what about theatre???
You can say the same for other jobs but not the story behind it but the logic and knowledge that goes into carrying that job out.
dancesingact
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
(Original post by TensorTympani)
You can say the same for other jobs but not the story behind it but the logic and knowledge that goes into carrying that job out.

knowledge and logic goes into art tho🤔😂 honestly people who disrespect the creative industry piss me off.... at the end of the day to come up with new ideas and technology (if that's all you stem people care about) you need creativity.

oh and by the way there is only a 4% chance of artists jobs being taken over by robots

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/27-1012-craft-artists
TensorTympani
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
knowledge and logic goes into art tho🤔😂 honestly people who disrespect the creative industry piss me off.... at the end of the day to come up with new ideas and technology (if that's all you stem people care about) you need creativity.

oh and by the way there is only a 4% chance of artists jobs being taken over by robots

https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/27-1012-craft-artists
True, don't worry the world is a simulation.
jameswhughes
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 weeks ago
Even when robots will replace most jobs, it doesn't mean everyone can be creative - only a tiny number of people are good enough to make a living this way and that's not going to change.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (105)
19.52%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (221)
41.08%
Nope, not that interesting (212)
39.41%

Watched Threads