URGENT - Chemical Reactions of Group II Compounds!

Watch
SilvaStag
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi all, missed the lesson, but the teacher doesn't care and wants it in tomorrow! Thank you for any help I receive. Questions below!

(1) Strontium is a group 2 element with an atomic number of 38.
(a) Give the full electron configuration; in sp.d
(b) Give the full electron configuration, in s.p.d form, for a strontium ion.
(e) Give the name and formula of another ion or atom which has the same electron configuration as a strontium ion.
(d) Would you expect the strontium atom or the strontium lon to have a larger radius? Explain your answer

(2) Some group 2 carbonates can be thermally decomposed
(a) Explain what a thermal decomposition reaction is
(b) Write a balanced symbol equation, with state symbols, for the thermal decomposition of magnesium carbonate
(c) Describe a chemical test for the gaseous product of this reaction.
(d) Some water is added to the solid product of this reaction. State the approximate pH of the solution that is formed.
(e) Do the group 2 carbonates become easier or more difficult to thermally decompose, going down the group?
(f) Describe the relationship between the ease of thermal decomposition of a and the ionic radius of the metal cation. Explain why this relationship exists

(3) Some barium nitrate solution is added to a solution of sodium sulfate. A precipitate is formed
(a) Give the name and formula of the precipitate.
(b)Write a balanced equation, with state symbols, for this reaction. The precipitate is filtered off, and a flame test is conducted upon it
(c) What colour flame would the solid precipitate produce? Another sample of barium nitrate solution is this time added to a solution of sodium hydroxide
(d)In this case, would you expect a precipitate to be formed? Explain your answer.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How do you prefer to get careers advice?

I like to speak to my friends and family (15)
11.03%
I like to do my own research online using careers specific websites (87)
63.97%
I like speaking to the careers advisors at school, college or uni (18)
13.24%
I prefer to listen watch videos or listen to podcasts of people in my chosen career (13)
9.56%
Something else (let us know in the thread) (3)
2.21%

Watched Threads