Matilda213
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I’m not happy with this mark. What did you get in your first essay? Any advice on how to get a better score will be appreciated (I’m studying an undergraduate education degree).
BlueEyedGirl_
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Matilda213)
I’m not happy with this mark. What did you get in your first essay? Any advice on how to get a better score will be appreciated (I’m studying an undergraduate education degree).
Don’t worry, not many people like their first mark - but please know that 58% is good for your first ever uni essay! I got 48% in my first ever essay and now in 3rd year and sit on a high 2.1 so you can definitely improve. Just really take the feedback you’ve been given on board and also don’t be afraid to seek out more. Tutors are there to help you so make sure you make use the most of them! But sometimes it can just be a case of needing to adapt to how to write a ‘uni style’ essay so just really understand the feedback and I’m sure you’ll be getting better results in no time
Last edited by BlueEyedGirl_; 2 years ago
Matilda213
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Thanks for you reply. How hard is it to gain 62% next time? I feel like I lost marks because I didn’t evaluate properly. The reason for this was that the assignment was about me as a learner. If i was given an essay to evaluate different theories then I would have analysed the theories, weighed their pros and cons, analysed theories that contradict an argument and vice versa.

As as for my tutor, I feel as though she doesn’t have the answers to the questions we ask her, and she replies saying, “you’ve been in the lectures not me.” She rushes the seminar and is always in a rush, and yes, we pay £9,250 a year for this. She just doesn’t have enough time for us. I was expecting more support. Do all universities work like this?
Last edited by Matilda213; 2 years ago
Other_Owl
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
58% is a good mark and you passed the essay. Just relax.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
68, but then all following written work had no lower than a 74.
RV3112
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
As as for my tutor, I feel as though she doesn’t have the answers to the questions we ask her, and she replied saying, you’ve been in the lectures not me.
Loosely translated, this means "i haven't studied this module since i did it in first year, and don't remember".

Sometimes (but not always) tutors are not your best bet. We are often landed with tutorials on modules that aren't in our area of research, and we haven't looked at ourselves for years. As long as it's not our first year teaching that module, it will be fine. But if it is our first semester in that area, then likely we are reading the books to refresh our knowledge just before the tutorial just as you are. And if you ask a question that jumps ahead in the course, we will deftly dodge it as we haven't re-read that section yet! Unfortunately this is the reality of unis relying on researchers to do the tutorials.

In some areas, there's simply more tutorials than there are people interested in teaching them, And there are certain modules that no-one ever seems to want to do. Additionally, some of us get overloaded with too many modules as well.

Hopefully, some of your other tutors are better. Only thing you can do is express your feelings when it comes times to those dreaded evaluation forms (if your uni uses them).

To answer the OP, first assignment was 70.
Okaythenhi
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Actually got my first essay mark back today, 62%,.

Everyone I've talked to got anything from 54-65 so 58% Is pretty decent for a first essay.

Just remember first year is building the foundations, you won't be where you want straight away. It's your first essay of many, and it will only get better.

Did the marker provide feedback?
username3500382
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I managed to get through first year on a high grade, but the first essay I got back in second year (i.e. the first one counting towards my degree's grade) was 57%. I went to speak to the lecturer who marked it and he gave me some really helpful advice on how to improve. It sounds like your seminar tutor isn't very helpful - however it would be worth reaching out to her and asking for some more feedback (possibly go to her office hour?) - although she might not be particularly nice, she will probably have some critiques that could seriously help you. Also, you'll find that lecturers etc. tend to be more kind and helpful if they can see students helping themselves, such as taking time out of your day to actually learn from getting a lower grade than you wanted! If she isn't helpful, speak to a lecturer/your academic advisor if you have one and ask them for some guidance.

Overall, I've learned that with essays, you need to question the question, and try to make your structure more complex than simply yes/no, agree/disagree etc. You need to develop your argument throughout the essay, and each paragraph should introduce a new idea/development. It makes it less clunky to read, and it looks very academically impressive to have a real discussion in your essay, rather than simply rattling out the key points of the topic. They want to see you critically engaging with everything - theories, arguments, even well-established 'facts'; give them a new perspective. It will make you stand out, and it will get you a first.
username4003948
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I got 77% and the threshold for a first was 70%. However, it was only 500 words (one page) about whether Facebook invaded users' privacy by allowing Cambridge Analytica (and other companies, CA was a tiny drop in a huge ocean) access to their data.

My next essay is due on Thursday afternoon. 750-1000 words about resurgence of interest in VR technology since 2013 and whether it's likely to come into mainstream use in the future. I have 1050 words but haven't addressed the question very well. There's no way I'll be getting a first on this one. It's frustrating because I'm the type of weirdo who actually enjoys researching and writing essays, but I've probably averaged 4 hours daily for the past three weeks on this assignment and just have not been able to engage with the subject at all.
random_matt
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by insouciancedward)
I got 77% and the threshold for a first was 70%. However, it was only 500 words (one page) about whether Facebook invaded users' privacy by allowing Cambridge Analytica (and other companies, CA was a tiny drop in a huge ocean) access to their data.

My next essay is due on Thursday afternoon. 750-1000 words about resurgence of interest in VR technology since 2013 and whether it's likely to come into mainstream use in the future. I have 1050 words but haven't addressed the question very well. There's no way I'll be getting a first on this one. It's frustrating because I'm the type of weirdo who actually enjoys researching and writing essays, but I've probably averaged 4 hours daily for the past three weeks on this assignment and just have not been able to engage with the subject at all.
You should be setting word counts, for example 250 a day or whatever.
Justmac
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I studied physical education but mostly the broad education and pedagogy/socialogy stuff. Received a 74 in my first essay and a lot of that was because it was well written. To push towards higher marks you want to show a depth of original research (not just what was on the reading list) as well as independent thinking and critical analysis. Silly things like referencing, structure, good introduction and conclusion etc will also help to gain marks. I'm currently studying an MA Education, working as a FE lecturer and am in the middle of publication, so if you would like any specific help or advice on essays/research then feel free to DM me. I'd be happy to help. I understand how frustrating it can be if you do not have the guidance you need to be able to improve.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (195)
57.52%
I don't have everything I need (144)
42.48%

Watched Threads