Taylormckenzie
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I need help with revision for the english literature a level coursework for The handmaid's tale and 1984 because I am lost & in desperate need of help lol
If anyone has any links/comparisons/notes that would be fab!
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.
CinnamonSmol
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hi, I take English Lit/Lang, I study Handmaid's Tale and used 1984 as one of my texts for the coursework
Both texts are dystopian, whilst Handmaid's Tale has more gothic elemens to it. HMT also looks more at the manipulation of the bible, whereas 1984 denounces religion altogether which is quite interesting. Both however, look at sexual freedom as a form of liberation, Winston with Julia and Offred with Nick. It's through their relationships do they reclaim their bodies and are more determined to oppose the system.

I'm guessing you take Literature so you'll need theories, the Benthamite Panopticon concept as well as Michael Foucaults work will be particularly useful to you as its all about surveillance and how authority is asserted, physically and psychologically --something that both Orwell and Atwood explore in depth.

If you need any inspiration, here's a Handmaid's Tale discussion thread that might help you:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=5360316

If you have any more questions I'll be happy to help!

EDIT: I can't remember the title so you may have to do some digging, but on Google Scholar, I remember reading an academic essay comparing 1984, Handmaid's Tale and Brave New World which will definitely help!
Last edited by CinnamonSmol; 2 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (81)
38.03%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (23)
10.8%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (15)
7.04%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (51)
23.94%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (27)
12.68%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (16)
7.51%

Watched Threads