Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I’m in the process of joining the army, however i’m scared of failing my medical due to having grommets , would this be an issue ?
    Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play

ReputationRep:
    The Army website says you cannot join if you have 'eardrum grommets', but speak with your recruiter about it:

https://apply.army.mod.uk/how-to-joi...i-join/medical

ReputationRep:
    It’s ok if you have Wallace as a counterbalance

ReputationRep:
    what’s that?

ReputationRep:
    If you had grommets put in as a young child, it’s likely they’ve fell out by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by codyann02)
    what’s that?
    Ignore it. It's a misplaced joke by someone who hasn't thought that you're asking a serious question and might get bad news about a job you want in the future.

ReputationRep:
    haha😂 thanks for that

ReputationRep:
    It does look like that's one of their disqualifiying conditions :/

As someone said, speak to recruitment, one thing i'll say is that in the last 20 yrs the forces have changed these policies back and forth dozens of times, it might just be a matter of waiting till the right year (Asthma used to a dealbreaker, one mention on yr record and that's it ...now they're more interested how serious it it is and how long it's been)

* - I got hammered with the Asthma one, i'd been diagnosed as a teenager but had never had an attack (still haven't) But because I was 'recieving treatment' I was barred, IE: I collect a basic prescription for an inhaler once a year because i'm advised to have one in case of emergency, i've never needed one. Not exactly fair :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Surnia)
    Ignore it. It's a misplaced joke by someone who hasn't thought that you're asking a serious question and might get bad news about a job you want in the future.
    😴🙄

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StriderHort)
    It does look like that's one of their disqualifiying conditions :/

As someone said, speak to recruitment, one thing i'll say is that in the last 20 yrs the forces have changed these policies back and forth dozens of times, it might just be a matter of waiting till the right year (Asthma used to a dealbreaker, one mention on yr record and that's it ...now they're more interested how serious it it is and how long it's been)

* - I got hammered with the Asthma one, i'd been diagnosed as a teenager but had never had an attack (still haven't) But because I was 'recieving treatment' I was barred, IE: I collect a basic prescription for an inhaler once a year because i'm advised to have one in case of emergency, i've never needed one. Not exactly fair :/
    If you’re symptom and treatment free for 4 years - it’s fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StriderHort)

...one thing i'll say is that in the last 20 yrs the forces have changed these policies back and forth dozens of times...
    Documents and policies get reviewed all the time. The section in JSP 950 (MoD Medical Policy) which deals with asthma wasn't changed between October 2013 and December 2017 (and maybe later - I don't have access to anything more up to date). So no, there haven't been many recent changes around asthma.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...20Dec%2017.pdf

ReputationRep:
    Hi

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Duncan2012)
    Documents and policies get reviewed all the time. The section in JSP 950 (MoD Medical Policy) which deals with asthma wasn't changed between October 2013 and December 2017 (and maybe later - I don't have access to anything more up to date). So no, there haven't been many recent changes around asthma.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/reque...20Dec%2017.pdf
    I suspect it depends what your own perspective of recent is, i'm talking about the last 20 years (although I suspect that may be taking the mick a bit for 'recent', but as you say, just wanting to point out that these things can and do change.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.