marie12376987
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm currently in year 11 and I will be doing my exams next year. I am usually quite an academic person with high predicted grades for all my subjects but I am really struggling with engineering (especially the coursework).
The teachers at my school have no idea what they're doing and when I ask for help my teacher just tells me to stick to basics and get a level 4 - which I know would really disappoint me.
If anyone is currently studying engineering or has studied it in the past could you please give me some tips and advice on how to do the subject and get a good grade. Thank you
inspir8tion
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by marie12376987)
I'm currently in year 11 and I will be doing my exams next year. I am usually quite an academic person with high predicted grades for all my subjects but I am really struggling with engineering (especially the coursework).
The teachers at my school have no idea what they're doing and when I ask for help my teacher just tells me to stick to basics and get a level 4 - which I know would really disappoint me.
If anyone is currently studying engineering or has studied it in the past could you please give me some tips and advice on how to do the subject and get a good grade. Thank you
Have you looked at the AQA Engineering "My Revision Notes" book by Hodder Education? It's a simplified version of the main text book.

How's your project going? Use the spec to make sure you've answered all the written elements, as the actual product is only part of the NEA.

I can't find much on the internet either, as it's a new GCSE. It used to be DT.
marie12376987
Rep:
?
Thank you I’ll defo look into that textbook
My coursework is due in very soon and im worried it’s gonna bring my overall grade down because my teacher doesn’t help us at all
I’ll check the spec tho thank you sm
inspir8tion
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Has your teacher photocopied the section on the NEA out of the main text book? It says that along with your product, you need a design portfolio of evidence containing:

Investigations into the context
Analysis of the problem
Relevant research conducted
Designs for your solution
A test plan
A final evaluation of your prototype

It will be assessed:
Problem solving - 15 marks
Drawings & conventions - 15 marks
Production planning - 15 marks
Engineering skills used - 15 marks
Applying systems technology - 10 marks
Testing and evaluation - 10 marks

Total 80 marks

There are details of what's expected for each of those sections in the teacher's book (although you could buy it as well as the revision guide). It's called "AQA Engineering (9-1)" It's also published by Hodder. It's a bit heavy going compared with the revision book.

The spec's here. The NEA starts on p30.
https://filestore.aqa.org.uk/resourc...52-SP-2017.PDF

Good luck
Thank you I’ll defo look into that textbook
My coursework is due in very soon and im worried it’s gonna bring my overall grade down because my teacher doesn’t help us at all
I’ll check the spec tho thank you sm
marie12376987
Rep:
?
Oh wow thank you that’s really helpful
Gives me a bit more confidence that the coursework’s not just based on your final product
Now I only have the written test to worry about !
Thank you again you’ve been really helpful
inspir8tion
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Good luck. Don't forget that the NEA, including the written portfolio about the task, is 40% of your GCSE. The final product is actually quite a small %. If your teacher hasn't given you any information, you'll need to ask him/her to photocopy the relevant pages, or buy the books which I mentioned above.

The written exam is 60%. If you're ok at maths, you should be able to insert some figures fairly easily into the equations, which are given to you. Have a look at the specimen paper on the AQA website. You then need to be able to answer questions about different materials and their properties.

Oh wow thank you that’s really helpful
Gives me a bit more confidence that the coursework’s not just based on your final product
Now I only have the written test to worry about !
Thank you again you’ve been really helpful
Last edited by inspir8tion; 2 years ago
sotor
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
honestly if you make sure you cover ever point on the coursework in detail you will get a good mark, all i did when i sat the gcse (old spec tho) was go through the spec and tick off what id done. i had a sheet for everything, describing how to use every piece of equipment, detailed production plans and i ended up getting very close to full marks

if your teachers arent much help, ask someone else to go through your project and tick off what youve done from the spec. helpful to have a fresh pair of eyes to spot anything you missed
marie12376987
Rep:
?
Thank you for all the help !
I think cause the spec is brand new no one really knows what’s going on in my school so the safest thing to do is use the spec like you guys said
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you think receiving Teacher Assessed Grades will impact your future?

I'm worried it will negatively impact me getting into university/college (127)
41.78%
I'm worried that I’m not academically prepared for the next stage in my educational journey (34)
11.18%
I'm worried it will impact my future career (24)
7.89%
I'm worried that my grades will be seen as ‘lesser’ because I didn’t take exams (67)
22.04%
I don’t think that receiving these grades will impact my future (33)
10.86%
I think that receiving these grades will affect me in another way (let us know in the discussion!) (19)
6.25%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise