Higher modern studies 2018 help/advice. Watch

guesswho34
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey, so the 3 topics i'm doing this year are world power USA, democracy in the UK and Scotland and social inequalities. I am struggling badly with essays as my teacher is no help at all, and I dont understand what analysis is and evaluation even though a few people have badly tried to explain it. It just doesn't make sense. Also, i have no clue how im meant to study as we have been giving so much information and notes which are irrelevant so im wasting all my time highlighting and rewriting notes from the booklet which takes up far too much time. so can someone plz tell me any other ways to learn. I tried to make an essay plan but i dont really get it. i also am terrible with numbers so dont know how im going to remember all the examples that we are meant to have in the essays. sorry im just quite dumb i got an A in N5 prelim then got a C in the exam and i am regretting picking higher but thought it would be helpful as i want to do law. help would be much appreciated help sorry its long.

long story short- stuck with essays and how to study plz help x
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
Hey,

You're not dumb at all, passing N5 is still a great achievement in and of itself.

Regarding analysis and evaluation - this is just a sentence or two after your Point, Explanation, Example which talks about the importance of that point in comparison with other factors and answers the question.

For example, in the democracy in the UK section, there could be a question like "Analyse the influence of the media on voting behaviour". You'd want to talk about the various types of media and the strength of influence they have on the electorate. So say you did a paragraph about the influence of social media, you'd make your point and back it up with statistics and then say to what extent it influences people to vote in a certain way, such as that the ability for millions of people to immediately see the tweets of politicians means that it influences voters significantly. However, you'd also want to talk about why it's less of an influence on some people - such as the older generation, who often don't have twitter or facebook. Instead, newspapers and television generally influence them more.

With regards to studying - I like to use the Quizlet app (online flashcards) to remember stats and just even flick through the BBC News app for revision - sometimes stats from articles stick.

I hope this helps, sorry if I've not been that clear.
guesswho34
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
This is so helpful thank you so much x
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by guesswho34)
This is so helpful thank you so much x

Glad to hear it helped
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1155)
79.22%
Leave (303)
20.78%

Watched Threads