The Student Room Group

Feeling lonely...anybody out there?

Hey, just a person feeling a bit lonely.

For some context, I broke up with my boyfriend 9 months ago. My flatmate brings his girlfriend round all the time. The other two flatmates are always together even though they broke up. So I'm the odd one out, feeling lonely, especially at night when the bed feels cold. Any ideas on how to meet someone new? This is just a general thread.

Just looking for a friend or someone to talk to x
Then the two flatmates haven't really broken up? Idk, is it OK to ask to swap rooms with one of them?

But to meet new people, gym & sports clubs come to mind. If you're not that into fitness, maybe cooking classes
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 2
Happy to chat!
Original post by amywhy

For some context, I broke up with my boyfriend 9 months ago. My flatmate brings his girlfriend round all the time. The other two flatmates are always together even though they broke up. So I'm the odd one out, feeling lonely, especially at night when the bed feels cold. Any ideas on how to meet someone new? This is just a general thread.

This time of the day is the worst time to feel lonely. When the day is over and you have been with someone and you see other people having a good time, having a relationship, it feels like how you are feeling won’t end. But it will. You will meet someone else, but you have to try and put yourself out there. It’s not easy to be social after a breakup, but that’s what you have to do.
Try a new hobby.
Maybe a bit of voluntary work if you can spare the time.
Don’t let yourself get too far down. Do something. Little steps.
Join social clubs like a sports, reading club etc and/or online meet ups.
Original post by amywhy

As the person above says join a society or something, or if a friend offers you a night out, take it.
Reply 6
Original post by hello_shawn
Then the two flatmates haven't really broken up? Idk, is it OK to ask to swap rooms with one of them?

But to meet new people, gym & sports clubs come to mind. If you're not that into fitness, maybe cooking classes

The flatmates are at a wierd phase where they are sleeping in the same bed, cooking together etc, but they had a messed up relationship. It's really a pain to watch.

Clubs are a good shout, I'm just lazy and have a hard time getting out of the house. Think I need to go out there, distract myself and widen my friend circle. I may take a language class next semester and other clubs if I have time.
Thanks for your advice xx
Reply 7
Original post by Seamus123
This time of the day is the worst time to feel lonely. When the day is over and you have been with someone and you see other people having a good time, having a relationship, it feels like how you are feeling won’t end. But it will. You will meet someone else, but you have to try and put yourself out there. It’s not easy to be social after a breakup, but that’s what you have to do.
Try a new hobby.
Maybe a bit of voluntary work if you can spare the time.
Don’t let yourself get too far down. Do something. Little steps.

Hi Seamus, thanks for your reply, it really describes my emotional state at the moment. I will take art and language classes after christmas, hopefully that can force myself to be social and maybe meet someone new.
Your advice is greatly appreciated xx
In the meantime, whilst you are single enjoy your freedom to the full.

Think of all the advantages you have because you're single.

No having to sleep in the wet patch.
No one snoring next to you.
No one waking you up in the middle of the night when they get out of bed to go to the toilet.
No one that you have to go out of your way to please
You are free to flirt with anyone you want to
You are currently free to sleep with anyone who wants to sleep with you too
In your leisure time, you can go anywhere you want, do anything you want at any time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending