This discussion is closed.
jgupta
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Collingwood)
God Save the Queen!
Dear Mods: can we please have a vomiting smiley !!
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eulerwaswrong)
they cost us loads of oney each year.

But they sorta own britain so - we cant really argue
They don't actually cost us that much each year - I think an early poster quoted £37 million which in national terms is nothing.
Bagration
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dear Mods: can we please have a Tower of London smiley?
jgupta
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I like the tower of london!!
Jerry Meandering
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Fevernova)
It's not just Buckingham Palace is it though? Windsor Castle. Kensington Palace. And why do people go to the Tower of London? Oh that's right.... the Crown Jewels.
But presumably all of these places would continue to be there if the royal family ceased to exist? So would the Crown Jewels (although the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London are actually copies anyway)
Fevernova
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jerry Meandering)
But presumably all of these places would continue to be there if the royal family ceased to exist? So would the Crown Jewels (although the Crown Jewels in the Tower of London are actually copies anyway)
Errrmmm i'd presume otherwise.

If I was the Queen and I have just been ousted. I think i'd take my possessions out of the public domain.

The Royal Family would cease to exist as the Royal Family but unless it was a bloody and violent revolution i would assume they would still own what is legally thiers.
largebrandon
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think the notion of removing the Royal family is disgusting. All of you anti-monarchists just are pissed off that you aren't worth a damn, at least not as much as the royals. I'd rather have a monarch represent the country than some sort of corrupted elected official.

The Royal family is ingrained within British history: it makes it what it is. It makes me sad that it has lost political power, and I wish they would regain more of it.
Jerry Meandering
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Errrmmm i'd presume otherwise.

If I was the Queen and I have just been ousted. I think i'd take my possessions out of the public domain.

The Royal Family would cease to exist as the Royal Family but unless it was a bloody and violent revolution i would assume they would still own what is legally thiers.
There are royal palaces all over Europe without there being royal families living in them.
CurlyBen
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Jerry Meandering)
There are royal palaces all over Europe without there being royal families living in them.
And that's justification for the government to seize private property?
AntiIB-er
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by CurlyBen)
And that's justification for the government to seize private property?
I hardly consider what millions of dollars of taxpayers' money has bought to be considered private property.
_Mazza_
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
Oh yes, because nobody would notice a significant member of the most famous family on Earth wandering around? And, of course, the media wouldn't have noticed he's disappearance from the UK...
The Osbournes?
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by erenbuyukbicer)
I hardly consider what millions of dollars of taxpayers' money has bought to be considered private property.
Actually most of the Royal Palaces were bought privately.
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Since when have taxpayers bought property for the Royal Family?
AntiIB-er
Report 11 years ago
Since when have taxpayers bought property for the Royal Family?
Well not bought but maintained. Were it not for taxpayers' money none of the 5 royal family castles in and around central london would be standing today.
L i b
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well not bought but maintained. Were it not for taxpayers' money none of the 5 royal family castles in and around central london would be standing today.
As I understand it, the private palaces are maintained at the expense of the Royals privately (such as Balmoral) and the Government stopped providing money to maintain the likes of Buckingham Palace in an exchange which allows the Royals to privately keep the revenue generated from visitors. Places like Kensington Palace are supported by rent paid by the occupants for their apartments (such as the Kents and the Gloucester).

So I don't think tax money comes into it.
AntiIB-er
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by L i b)
As I understand it, the private palaces are maintained at the expense of the Royals privately (such as Balmoral) and the Government stopped providing money to maintain the likes of Buckingham Palace in an exchange which allows the Royals to privately keep the revenue generated from visitors.

So I don't think tax money comes into it.
Even if that is true there are still other problems. Of course I am weary that if the queen is ousted in England shewill definitely overthrow our prime minister over here and become a dictator. So I am content if she remains the head of the British Monarchy.
Fevernova
Report 11 years ago
Even if that is true there are still other problems. Of course I am weary that if the queen is ousted in England shewill definitely overthrow our prime minister over here and become a dictator. So I am content if she remains the head of the British Monarchy.
And the Canadian people would let her
AntiIB-er
Report 11 years ago
And the Canadian people would let her
Well it's not that we'd let her it's that we would be powerless to stop her. She is our official head of state. What could possibly be done at that point?
CurlyBen
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
As Lib said.
As an aside, does anyone else feel slightly despondent that we apparently have such a mercenary society that the only worthwhile measure of value is money?
AntiIB-er
Report 11 years ago
As Lib said.
As an aside, does anyone else feel slightly despondent that we apparently have such a mercenary society that the only worthwhile measure of value is money?
If you can tell me the other thing that makes the world go round in this the 21st century then you'll get a torrent of gold stars.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (44)
16.42%
The paper was reasonable (131)
48.88%
Not feeling great about that exam... (60)
22.39%
It was TERRIBLE (33)
12.31%

Watched Threads