warmpancakes
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 months ago
These are my top 3 choices as I hope to become an actuary in the future, so I was wondering which is the best uni for this course. Any tips for which I should choose?
Rohan77642
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/sho....php?t=3340267

Reading through this thread should answer all your questions,
Good luck
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Also look at how many actuarial examination exemptions each degree provides. To become an actuary you have to clear atleast all of CT1 - CT8 I think and some other exams.
Read this website https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyin...ses-exemptions
You can see the LSE degree exempts from CT1 to CT8 for bachelors but for warwick you need to do MMORSE to have exemptions from CT1 to CT8.
warmpancakes
Rep:
?
(Original post by Rohan77642)
Also look at how many actuarial examination exemptions each degree provides. To become an actuary you have to clear atleast all of CT1 - CT8 I think and some other exams.
Read this website https://www.actuaries.org.uk/studyin...ses-exemptions
You can see the LSE degree exempts from CT1 to CT8 for bachelors but for warwick you need to do MMORSE to have exemptions from CT1 to CT8.
Yeah, mmorse is what i applied for. However, I'm just curious to know which university is the best in terms of teaching quality and lecturers.
Rohan77642
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
(Original post by warmpancakes)
Yeah, mmorse is what i applied for. However, I'm just curious to know which university is the best in terms of teaching quality and lecturers.
The benefit of MMORSE is that you can go into literally any career with that degree that suits your interest. The LSE degree is basically make you commit to actuarial sciences, which in my opinion is a little risky since at this stage its hard to make up your mind whether you actually want to become an actuary. Hence my vote always goes to MMORSE.

Now assuming you have convinced yourself of becoming an actuary then in terms of teaching quality and lectures I can't comment on LSE because the degree is new, but MORSE is well established and one of Warwicks flagship courses with great teaching facilities from what I have heard from friends.

I am clearly heavily biased towards warwick lol, but I am sure LSE is up there and pretty good.
Last edited by Rohan77642; 11 months ago
NeoWong
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 11 months ago
Hi I am a 1st year Act Sci student at LSE.
Just want to let you know that I wouldn't worry too much about which uni you go to or what degree you are going to do. These are the best options for Act Sci in UK.

What you will be studying is actually quite irrelevant in job hunting (for undergraduates).
Doing a UG degree in Act Sci doesn't mean you can only apply for actuarial jobs. It's undergraduate, most of people don't know anything when they are applying for internships and the company will train you on the job (of course you need to prepare well to land an internship).
So you can study Act Sci and apply to many other different jobs, and ppl who do not study Act Sci can also apply to actuarial jobs. Simple logic.

In simple words
MMORSE is 4 yrs course and you can apply to spring weeks (mostly investment banks, if you are interested) in your 2nd year and internships in your 3rd year. In contrast, you have to apply for spring weeks in your 1st year and internships in your 2nd year if you are doing a 3 yrs course. You will have extra time to improve your CV if you are going to Warwick.
However, Warwick is kinda in the middle of nowhere in my opinion... And it's a lot of travelling if you got invited to accessement centres or face-to-face interviews in London

Teaching quality and lectures?
I personally would recommend you to forget about that... It's university, independent study is the key. And if you are going to be an actuary, you will need to prepare for your exams and work at the same time (although they give you study holidays, not a lot). This is the time for you to learn how to study independently. If you have any problems, just email them or go to office hours. I'm sure any lecturers would be happy to help you.
Besides, it's hard to compare these things.

You can worry about school brand and the course as much as you want. But I feel like it's really trivial in the end. I was in your shoes and I stopped worrying about any about that.
Best of luck
Last edited by NeoWong; 11 months ago
warmpancakes
Rep:
?
(Original post by NeoWong)
Hi I am a 1st year Act Sci student at LSE.
Just want to let you know that I wouldn't worry too much about which uni you go to or what degree you are going to do. These are the best options for Act Sci in UK.

What you will be studying is actually quite irrelevant in job hunting (for undergraduates).
Doing a UG degree in Act Sci doesn't mean you can only apply for actuarial jobs. It's undergraduate, most of people don't know anything when they are applying for internships and the company will train you on the job (of course you need to prepare well to land an internship).
So you can study Act Sci and apply to many other different jobs, and ppl who do not study Act Sci can also apply to actuarial jobs. Simple logic.

In simple words
MMORSE is 4 yrs course and you can apply to spring weeks (mostly investment banks, if you are interested) in your 2nd year and internships in your 3rd year. In contrast, you have to apply for spring weeks in your 1st year and internships in your 2nd year if you are doing a 3 yrs course. You will have extra time to improve your CV if you are going to Warwick.
However, Warwick is kinda in the middle of nowhere in my opinion... And it's a lot of travelling if you got invited to accessement centres or face-to-face interviews in London

Teaching quality and lectures?
I personally would recommend you to forget about that... It's university, independent study is the key. And if you are going to be an actuary, you will need to prepare for your exams and work at the same time (although they give you study holidays, not a lot). This is the time for you to learn how to study independently. If you have any problems, just email them or go to office hours. I'm sure any lecturers would be happy to help you.
Besides, it's hard to compare these things.

You can worry about school brand and the course as much as you want. But I feel like it's really trivial in the end. I was in your shoes and I stopped worrying about any about that.
Best of luck
Thanks so much for this advice!! I really appreciate it. Reallyyyyy thank youuuu <3
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Surrey
    All subjects except Veterinary Medicine and Guildford School of Acting Undergraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Discover Your Type of Law - LPC and GDL - Birmingham campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    Postgraduate and professional courses Postgraduate
    Wed, 20 Nov '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices? (November update)

Yes I know where I'm applying (49)
75.38%
No I haven't decided yet (10)
15.38%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
9.23%

Watched Threads